Huntingdon at Jackson South Side

footballover

12 hours ago, 1shot1kill said:

As always with the Mustangs, coaching is the achilles heal. Lots of talent on both sides of the ball but once we get behind the slow paced offense will not be able to keep up. By now you would think Huntingdon would have a pass defense but unfortunately not. D-backs are 10 yards off the receiver and looks like they have never been taught how to defend a passing offense. Now this is no fault of the boys, as they give their all every down, it comes down to coaching and we have been lacking there for awhile. The Mustangs will have a good year and will make it to the 2nd or 3rd round, but as with years past we will get out coached and it's not fair to the boys. Huntingdon has been needing a change for a couple years now and it's the most talked about secret in town. 

As far as this Friday nights game I think the Mustangs come out on top if we can contain the pass. Flowers will put the qb on his back all night if he takes his time back there. Eubanks is quick, has a good arm, and can motor. Skippy can flat move and is tough as nails. All the skill positions are well staffed and have backups to give some rest. I know south side will definitely be a test and the boys need a win after taking the stomping last Friday night.

There is talent on our team, but that talent is mostly sophomores and Juniors. Let's not act like we didn't just play the most talented team we will see all year? D backs are 10 yards off the ball because we are slower and smaller than McKenzie's guys on the outside. If we got up in their face and played man defense, we would get torched deep every single play. That 10 yard cushions helps so that our db's can at least make a play on catches in front of them.

I agree that we play too conservative at times which costs us games in the playoffs, but if you think for a second that we we lost that game just because of coaching then you don't know squat about football. It stings a little bit to say, but McKenzie is a senior heavy team who went to state last year and have every one of their studs back. They are just a better team right now. The Mustangs will be fine. They are young, and this year they will gain a lot of experience for the years to come.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HogJowl70 said:

There is talent on our team, but that talent is mostly sophomores and Juniors. Let's not act like we didn't just play the most talented team we will see all year? D backs are 10 yards off the ball because we are slower and smaller than McKenzie's guys on the outside. If we got up in their face and played man defense, we would get torched deep every single play. That 10 yard cushions helps so that our db's can at least make a play on catches in front of them.

I agree that we play too conservative at times which costs us games in the playoffs, but if you think for a second that we we lost that game just because of coaching then you don't know squat about football. It stings a little bit to say, but McKenzie is a senior heavy team who went to state last year and have every one of their studs back. They are just a better team right now. The Mustangs will be fine. They are young, and this year they will gain a lot of experience for the years to come.

Totally agree with you. For him to say that we lost to Mckenzie because of coaching is ignorant. I do agree with him saying that coaching has indeed been an Achilles heel for some time. This year the cold hard truth is we are just not as talented as as our former years.  Experience and youth this year is our biggest weakness. 

Rivers, being out for the season, Mota quitting the team, Ashton Hutcherson injuring himself during a game of Volleyball during school.. them not being on the field for us right now is a killer! Eubanks, and Skippy are more than capable, fast enough, tough enough, and talented enough to carry the load for the team , but the lack of experience on the O LINE, has them running for their life every play so far. 

I do believe that we will defeat South Side this week, but I believe it will be a game that comes down to the last quarter and low scoring. 

we are in for a tough season fellas, could be 8-2 just as easily as we could be 5-5 this year. Nevertheless, lets rally around our boys, our coaches and support them as best as we can ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HogJowl70 said:

Great post

3 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

I have had a couple of my Huntingdon friends over the years say they wish Comer would come over.   

The year and I don't remember what year it was that McKenzie had double digit personal fouls against Huntingdon in what was the most unsportsmanlike performance I've ever witnessed by a high school football team. Anyway I felt like Comer should have been fired on the spot for allowing it to happen. McKenzie can have him!

I’m not going to get into the coaching talk. I hate that Rivers got hurt especially after all the work the young man put in in the off season. He is a specimen. I will say that the sophomore and junior class will be fun to watch. I was surprised how well the freshman boys looked in the jamboree. They don’t look like the same kids that played last year in middle school. Speaking of middle school…there are some athletes getting ready to roll through.

One thing about Mustang football. They are rarely the biggest size team(any year), but there aren’t many teams that play with more passion and fight. Thanks to all of these boys(from youth league to seniors) that suit up with pride and put on show for this town.

• Like 1

Just had to throw my two sense out there cuz you know me. But I see many fans echo the talk that coaching is a problem but you'll also say the boys always play hard and are always a tough bunch and this is true. But these things don't happen with bad or subpar coaching. The root of most of the beefs or concerns comes down to y'all just don't really care for the single wing too much, and I get it. It's not flashy or anything like that but let's not pretend that offense and similar offenses can't win championships Personally I think the offense suits the Huntingdon community well but that's just this guy's personal opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Just had to throw my two sense out there cuz you know me. But I see many fans echo the talk that coaching is a problem but you'll also say the boys always play hard and are always a tough bunch and this is true. But these things don't happen with bad or subpar coaching. The root of most of the beefs or concerns comes down to y'all just don't really care for the single wing too much, and I get it. It's not flashy or anything like that but let's not pretend that offense and similar offenses can't win championships Personally I think the offense suits the Huntingdon community well but that's just this guy's personal opinion. 

I think the biggest issue is Eric never makes adjustments to his personnel.  He has had some fantastic arms at the QB spot, fast receivers, and with more than a adequate line to set up and throw.  Yet, it is the same old magic show in the backfield, and when they have to throw, it is too late.