The Pitiful State of William Blount Football

GovForce1

1 hour ago, NETNSportsFan said:

Serious question- how does a 6A team- who assuming has large number of students- not have enough to play and compete? Is it their youth league? A closer school that steals the good athletes? Had no idea how bad they were until they played West Ridge- and they made West Ridge look good. ;) 

Really feel sorry for what all has went on there the past 15 years. Being totally honest the team with so much youth isn't any better than the average JV team from any school and may take a long time to fix. Mr. Reeves took this job very seriously and I believe he'll either see it through if he believes there is something there or just say this is beyond anything that I personally think I can fix as to who do the great fans of WB like the past coach.

2 hours ago, NETNSportsFan said:

Serious question- how does a 6A team- who assuming has large number of students- not have enough to play and compete? Is it their youth league? A closer school that steals the good athletes? Had no idea how bad they were until they played West Ridge- and they made West Ridge look good. ;) 

Any kid who can play gets invited to Maryville or Alcoa

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Any kid who can play gets invited to Maryville or Alcoa

So you think Maryville and Alcoa depleted William Blount of their best football players? What if I told you Maryville has had more kids come form Alcoa and the same with Maryville kids going to Alcoa then they have got from either Heritage or William Blount. I'll always tell you the truth what ever you ask.

6 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

So you think Maryville and Alcoa depleted William Blount of their best football players? What if I told you Maryville has had more kids come form Alcoa and the same with Maryville kids going to Alcoa then they have got from either Heritage or William Blount. I'll always tell you the truth what ever you ask.

Didn’t say it was a lot. But if a couple leave to either school a year, it hurts

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1OldPatriot said:

Didn’t say it was a lot. But if a couple leave to either school a year, it hurts

If a WB student in the county goes to Maryville without moving inside the city it cost $2,400 for tuition. WB is totally surrounded by the city and walking distance to the school. If one of those city residents go to WB it's free. I know a handful of students that went to either WB or Heritage for a better chance to play. I can assure you none of the four schools are running over like a water faucet left on but you never hear of the city kids going to the county schools because their not winning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NETNSportsFan said:

The same has been asked about Hardin Valley for years, now.  

I hope they find the solution over there at WB. They have a good sized school with a good number of kids to play. I understand the starting QB that was there is now at Maryville and in years past, if you wanted to get a WB or Heritage coach stirred up, ask them how many they lost to Maryville and Alcoa? One told me once he lost 6 kids that could have started for him, to those programs. Got to turn that spicket off if it really exists. I don't know about the coaching, but it sounds like they could use a good, motivated young coach and assistants that would be there for the long haul to build back the program, which as some pointed out may take 3-4 years. Also need to work with the feeder middle schools to make sure those programs get the kids ready. All in all, it sounds like a long, uphill climb, so I wish them luck. I do remember some of the good William Blount teams in the early 2000s, very physical, hard to beat, 

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

I hope they find the solution over there at WB. They have a good sized school with a good number of kids to play. I understand the starting QB that was there is now at Maryville and in years past, if you wanted to get a WB or Heritage coach stirred up, ask them how many they lost to Maryville and Alcoa? One told me once he lost 6 kids that could have started for him, to those programs. Got to turn that spicket off if it really exists. I don't know about the coaching, but it sounds like they could use a good, motivated young coach and assistants that would be there for the long haul to build back the program, which as some pointed out may take 3-4 years. Also need to work with the feeder middle schools to make sure those programs get the kids ready. All in all, it sounds like a long, uphill climb, so I wish them luck. I do remember some of the good William Blount teams in the early 2000s, very physical, hard to beat, 

A lot of WB's problems have came from not having a good feeder program or any at some times. It was so bad they had to combine two different Junior High Schools that had their own teams and combine them into one which looked good for a while until Shad got control and that has went to ale in a hand basket. I really can't find much about this years team on the internet due to poor publicity from the school which figures. There was so many kids trying to escape to Greenback like it was the Berlin Wall a few years back until General Adolf Von Mikester Casteel started doing address and bed checks on the barracks they were sleeping in so the addresses they gave him matched the correct addresses on the leases to satisfy his commanders at the T$$AA. That guy has been a human wrecking ball for the Greenback Program and a story in itself.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

I grew up in the the Blount County part of the 37742. I had neighbors who went to Greenback back in the day. My next door neighbor went to Greenback. Two houses up went to Lanier. The house down the hill and my brother went to Friendsville. It was the wild west back then.

And now we can't even let a kid in one and a half miles from the school things are really different LOL