Farragut at Bearden

WestHigh4Life

4 minutes ago, BarnBurner09 said:

Also I found it interesting that bearden only has a home side stands and their team is on the away side.

Years ago they talked about doing a second side of bleachers but something about the layout of the stadium on that side being on a hill put that idea on ice. I will say the facilities at Bearden have come a long way since 1999. 

As for them being on that sideline, I dont know when or why that changed bc for years they were in front of the bleachers and the away team was across the field. I wonder if its because they wanted to be closer to their fieldhouse?

Bearden dropped a lot of passes and the QB had some real opportunities to keep in open field but decide to gun sling. Not sure what they were doing. Bearden definitely young and improving. Bearden is solid but they can't shoot self in foot. Farragut is as good as I thought but it was Bearden that impressed me. They have potential to make a fairly good run. And they keep coming at you. Great 6A playoffs coming.

8 hours ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Fulton used to as well until they built up the other side to put another set of bleachers on that side.

Same with Powell. They added a second set of bleachers in the 2000s, and they had the challenge of building them on a hill on the south side of the field.

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Same with Powell. They added a second set of bleachers in the 2000s, and they had the challenge of building them on a hill on the south side of the field.

And had to get a waiver from the EPA because the supports are anchored in a flood plain.  

That was just a huge mess during all of that.  Larry Stephens was on County Commission at the time and called in some favors to get it done.  Nobody ever said for sure, but I think it ended up being one of those "easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission" things.  

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

And had to get a waiver from the EPA because the supports are anchored in a flood plain.  

That was just a huge mess during all of that.  Larry Stephens was on County Commission at the time and called in some favors to get it done.  Nobody ever said for sure, but I think it ended up being one of those "easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission" things.  

Oh man, I forgot about the EPA waiver.

From my perch at West High, 

Having been a parent who contributes to a program’s success in the past when my sons were at West in the late 90’s I can’t imagine the parents at Bearden are overly enthusiastic about paying Abernathy - former UT get back coach a monthly stipend was worth getting more or less the same result Bearden has always gotten - an average season with a loss to Farragut. Just a shoutout to all my Bearden friends I’ve been there and I feel your frustration. 

49 minutes ago, edwardblake said:

From my perch at West High, 

Having been a parent who contributes to a program’s success in the past when my sons were at West in the late 90’s I can’t imagine the parents at Bearden are overly enthusiastic about paying Abernathy - former UT get back coach a monthly stipend was worth getting more or less the same result Bearden has always gotten - an average season with a loss to Farragut. Just a shoutout to all my Bearden friends I’ve been there and I feel your frustration. 

Watch out the JJ fan club will come after you. There are more problems at BHS than just hiring and paying Abernathy.

5 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Watch out the JJ fan club will come after you. There are more problems at BHS than just hiring and paying Abernathy.

It is so bizarre. I’ve seen stuff on FiveStar and Packervision talking about what all has been done in Year 1 of the Jones era. When did this become college football? HS sports are pretty stable year to year. As evidenced in their performance regardless of blatant recruiting. It’s their job to create disciplined young men we can be proud of. Not build some kind of ridiculous all star team that gets more penalties than completions.