1 hour ago, wholder said:

This is from 2020:

Key Employees and Officers Compensation
Bernard Childress (Executive Dir.) $192,869
Gene Menees (Assistant Director) $133,549
Mark Reeves (Assistant Director) $125,673
Richard McWhirter (Assistant Director) $123,324
Matthew Gillespie (Assistant Director) $113,520

Not surprised to see the one paid the least on that list is the one who actually works his butt off and is in it for the right reasons.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

This is copy and pasted from Walker Valley head coach. 

Long post but worth the read imo…

Friday night Walker Valley Football played the Karns Beavers. It was a great crowd, incredible atmosphere. We made $10,000+. This week we will write a check to the TSSAA for $5,000 or so. That’s 50% of the gate. So thankful to raise all that for the TSSAA. Can’t wait to do it again Friday.

Walker Valley Football and Karns Football will then split the other $5,000. That’s $2,500 for us and $2,500 for them. I’m sure Karns had travel expenses that were about the same as ours this week. We will spend $3,200 of two buses and $800-$1,000 on food. That is a net -$1,500.

So we lose money by making the playoffs. Meanwhile, there were 110 games Friday. If $10,000 was the average gate last week then the TSSAA made over a half a million dollars in one night. Even if the average gate was $6,000 then they made well over a quarter of a million dollars.

By comparison (other states association cut)

Louisiana 10%
Georgia 13%
North Carolina 15%
South Carolina 20%
Alabama 24%
Florida 25%
Mississippi 30%

TSSAA takes more than twice as much vs most southeastern high school associations.

I could go on but what’s the point. It’s not going to change. But it needs to be pointed out. It needs to be questioned. We could us the extra income. In the end, I would rather lose all the money and continue to win and move to the next round. But we deserve more. 

Looked at this years ago, curious if anyone else has any more information.

I figure between all the games, TSSAA brings in somewhere between 2.5-3 million off of football playoffs.  Football runs all the other sports, we know that.

How much of this goes to people who work in the offices of the TSSAA?

How much of this goes towards insurance (I remember that being thrown around during the precovid 2020 "Are we playing football if we don't we can't do the other sports" convo)

How much goes toward renting state championship spots?

I know TSSAA takes care of official costs during the playoffs, but they put that on the schools during the regular season.  I'd love to see that reversed if they are making waaaay too much money.

That, to me, seems to be where most of the money goes toward.  Would be interested in seeing an audit.  I'm not going to lie, I am really curious to where everything goes and have been in the spot where making the playoffs doesn't seem worth it financially, but would love to see the numbers.

Maybe most of you know this already, but the TSSAA has been around for nearly 100 years.     If I am reading this correctly the organization was given it's governing rights by the schools themselves, not the State of TN.

https://tssaa.org/history-of-the-association

History of the Association

The TSSAA was organized in 1925 by school principals and superintendents who saw the need for fair and equitable rules whereby bonafide students were the participants and officiating was done by qualified people of character. Although they felt that athletics and team competition contributed positively to the educational objectives of their schools, these leaders realized that cooperation among school administrators was necessary to ensure that schools' academic mission would not be compromised in the pursuit of athletic glory.

They realized that cooperation among school administrators was necessary to ensure that schools' academic mission would not be compromised in the pursuit of athletic glory.

About thirty high school principals and superintendents, meeting in Nashville for the annual Tennessee State Teachers' Association conference, adopted a constitution and bylaws organizing the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association on Saturday, April 11, 1925. This effort was initiated by G. C. Carney, principal of Nashville Central High School, and A. J. Smith, superintendent of the Clarksville School System. Carney was elected president and Smith secretary-treasurer. Three vice presidents, one from each grand division of the state, were also elected. They were James Lovell of Bradley Central High School, Cleveland; Frank A. Faulkinberry of Franklin County High School, Decherd; and B. L. Hassell, Peabody High School, Trenton. Stacy E. Nelson, Central High School, Chattanooga, and W. A. Bass, state high school supervisor of Nashville, were also elected to the TSSAA's Board of Control.

Twenty-four schools initially filed application for admission to the newly formed association. Membership nearly doubled over the ensuing months, with 45 schools having joined by the end of the association's first year. Each school was accepted for membership by the Board of Control with annual dues of $5.00.

The purpose of the statewide group was to stimulate and regulate athletic relations in the state's secondary schools, both public and private. The group knew many members of athletic teams at many schools were not bonafide students; and in many cases the eligibility rules were just what coaches, principals and fans were willing to impose upon themselves.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Who paid the officials?

I have been told that in Alabama they take less gate money from the playoffs, but they have a high school coaches convention that you are required to attend.  At the convention the winner of the Iron Bowl is the keynote speaker.  If a coach fails to attend the conference, there is a fine large enough that makes it worth attending.

TSSAA cover officals and insurance for playoff games.

• Like 1

Usually the problem with dealing with a situation is too many chiefs and not enough indians.  Problem here is too many indians and no chiefs.  

You want the TSSAA to take notice.  Hire an attorney to look into the legalities of EVERYTHING  they do.  Class action suit may be a possibility to get them to change buiness practices or re negotiate the contracts.  If schools banded together with one voice then the TSSAA would have to bend or be replaced.  

44 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Looked at this years ago, curious if anyone else has any more information.

I figure between all the games, TSSAA brings in somewhere between 2.5-3 million off of football playoffs.  Football runs all the other sports, we know that.

How much of this goes to people who work in the offices of the TSSAA?

How much of this goes towards insurance (I remember that being thrown around during the precovid 2020 "Are we playing football if we don't we can't do the other sports" convo)

How much goes toward renting state championship spots?

I know TSSAA takes care of official costs during the playoffs, but they put that on the schools during the regular season.  I'd love to see that reversed if they are making waaaay too much money.

That, to me, seems to be where most of the money goes toward.  Would be interested in seeing an audit.  I'm not going to lie, I am really curious to where everything goes and have been in the spot where making the playoffs doesn't seem worth it financially, but would love to see the numbers.

My impression is that the TSSAA isn't paying anything to rent venues for state championship games; it's the other way around, that the host cities compete with each other to offer the TSSAA the best deal.  Cookeville kept the BCB for as long as it did because they were willing to pay the TSSAA a minimum guaranteed gate fee, regardless of what the ticket sales actually were.  They cover their costs for paying for the police/fire/emergency services etc., then enlist volunteers to take tickets, manage parking, and work concessions.   The community benefits from all the people in town for 3 days, but the TSSAA is pocketing all the revenues from the games themselves.

This is hogwash.  A lawsuit would lose, and we aren't being treated unfairly.  Kreager just shared on Twitter that the money take from 2021 football broke down like this:

Member Schools   50%

Officials                  10.3%

Insurance               25%

TSSAA                     14.7%

Now either Kreager is lying, or we get a way better deal than they do in Georgia as I shared earlier.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ILB1999WHS said:

He cites the Georgia take:  13%.  

GA membership costs between $1111.00 and $1215.00 for a large school,  A large school in TN costs $250.00.

And last year, Georgia made $417,000 in fines of member schools.  

Every association makes their money.  

This is a silly argument.

I would much rather pay the GA membership fees upfront. I’m going to make more money down the road. There is a reason so many schools in Georgia pay their high school coaches 6 figures. One they ain’t giving all their money to their high school association. 

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Who paid the officials?

I have been told that in Alabama they take less gate money from the playoffs, but they have a high school coaches convention that you are required to attend.  At the convention the winner of the Iron Bowl is the keynote speaker.  If a coach fails to attend the conference, there is a fine large enough that makes it worth attending.

TSSAA pays the officials during the playoffs and regular season its from the home school

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, troubledtruth said:

I would much rather pay the GA membership fees upfront. I’m going to make more money down the road. There is a reason so many schools in Georgia pay their high school coaches 6 figures. One they ain’t giving all their money to their high school association. 

they also have to pay insurance and officials rather than the org.  Look at my post above yours.  IT'S THE SAME AMOUNT IN THE END.  In fact, I thing Georgia pays more.