Football regions are out

mondo44

7 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Cut out the financial aid or reduce it to just 3 players like it used to be then I will welcome them back.  But if your gonna hand cherry pick 40 players then forget it.  It won’t be fair.  Most of those large privates have over half the team on financial assistance.  I could care less about the private schools ever rejoining the publics.   Just fine without them.  

I agree. I see no benefit to the public schools of being back together. The only benefit is for the privates

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cbg said:

I have a difficult time truly believing that 50% of the players on the large private school teams are on financial aid.  Is that your opinion or do you have a way of proving that number to be true?  Personally I have no problem with only allowing a predetermined number of players to be on financial aid.  Everyone knows that when that rule was in place there were still complaints by the public schools even though they were very much able to compete with the private schools.  The only reason the public and private school split for athletics took place was due to Brentwood Academy defeating Riverdale for the state championship in football.  As a former public school student athlete I throughly hate the message that is being sent to the public school athletes that they are not good enough to compete with the private school kids.  In some instances the public schools have a distinct advantage over the private schools and via versa.  It’s past time to reunite the public and private schools and have them compete against each other.  The only ones that are able to make this happen are the public schools and I have never witnessed any of them demanding the TSSAA to place the public and private schools back together.  

I base this off of a report a few years ago that broke down how many players on each private school team had financial aid players on the roster.  McCallie, Baylor, BA, Ensworth were all over 40.  

The message being sent is that privates have to cherry pick the best players and it has gotten ridiculous.  I do not ever want to play the privates again.  Let them do their thing and the publics can do theirs.  It’s an unfair advantage to pay to play.  I see the busses from JP2, Davidson Aca and Ensworth on the road picking up the players in Sumner Co almost daily.  Publics cannot compete with that!  Forget’em!!  Don’t care about ever playing them with those kind of advantages!  They can make their own league.  Cut out the financial aid mess that has completely changed the landscape then we will talk.  Until then “Bye”! 

9 hours ago, eers said:

I agree. I see no benefit to the public schools of being back together. The only benefit is for the privates

Notice that my idea is not just to place the private and public schools back together.  There is also the part of only having 4 divisions for football, basketball and baseball with everyone back together.  Schools that offer work study or financial aid must play in 3A or 4A and no private, magnet or charter schools would play in Class A.  This would really benefit “ALL” schools with regular season travel unless they really want to play outside their geographical area which would result in spending less money.  My idea is 2 part:  

1.  Saving money on travel

2.  Stop the narrative that public school kids are not good enough to play with the private school kids.  *As a former public school athlete I truly hate the message that is being quietly sent out.  There is absolutely no reason that in individual sports (cross country, track, wrestling, etc…) that Tennessee should have more than one individual state champion in those sports.

IMO, this will never happen because the “ONLY” ones that can make it happen are the public school administrators and with 9 divisions they have it easier than ever to play for a state championship in football

18 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Cool an easy victory for most of us. Considering Cookeville, Gallatin, MJ, Lebanon, and GH will all be competitive, that’s nice to have. Gallatin loses a bit but can’t possibly be worse than last season… Green Hill will be in somewhat of a rebuild on the offensive side, MJ is stacked but we lose pretty much our whole Oline, WC is a bad team every year, and Lebanon is in a COMPLETE rebuild. I’d guess Cookeville to be improved also.

I guess getting beat 62-6 over the past two years by Lebanon has you a little salty. We do lose a bunch of good seniors, but I wouldn't say we are in a COMPLETE rebuild. We have some good pieces coming back next year. For example, the RB that run for 150+ yards against you. There's no question that our talent will dip a bit, but we will be competitive. Looking forward to seeing how everyone does in the new region. Should be fun.  

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Notice that my idea is not just to place the private and public schools back together.  There is also the part of only having 4 divisions for football, basketball and baseball with everyone back together.  Schools that offer work study or financial aid must play in 3A or 4A and no private, magnet or charter schools would play in Class A.  This would really benefit “ALL” schools with regular season travel unless they really want to play outside their geographical area which would result in spending less money.  My idea is 2 part:  

1.  Saving money on travel

2.  Stop the narrative that public school kids are not good enough to play with the private school kids.  *As a former public school athlete I truly hate the message that is being quietly sent out.  There is absolutely no reason that in individual sports (cross country, track, wrestling, etc…) that Tennessee should have more than one individual state champion in those sports.

IMO, this will never happen because the “ONLY” ones that can make it happen are the public school administrators and with 9 divisions they have it easier than ever to play for a state championship in football

I’m coming from a perspective of I’d love for all schools to be combined, I was a member of 2 State Championship team’s that Beat Brentwood Academy back in the day … and I used to sympathize with the privates because Maryville was always accused of cheating like the privates … I assumed that this was unjustly accused just like the accusations against Maryville… then we found out that wow there was a lot of shady business going on at some schools I would never have dreamed of .. and that changed my feelings on this issue. I’ve watched you over the years take shots at public schools as if they are inferior to Privates and I always knew that was because you wished they were all playing together… so now for you to act like you’re so concerned about public school kids feeling inferior is Hilarious! I know of no public school kid feeling inferior and it’s just another angle for you to attempt to shame the public schools into playing privates again . I actually do feel sorry for the private schools, but maybe instead of trying to shame the public schools to do your bidding , maybe the private schools should show they can be trusted to follow the rules . 

1 hour ago, pepvol said:

I’m coming from a perspective of I’d love for all schools to be combined, I was a member of 2 State Championship team’s that Beat Brentwood Academy back in the day … and I used to sympathize with the privates because Maryville was always accused of cheating like the privates … I assumed that this was unjustly accused just like the accusations against Maryville… then we found out that wow there was a lot of shady business going on at some schools I would never have dreamed of .. and that changed my feelings on this issue. I’ve watched you over the years take shots at public schools as if they are inferior to Privates and I always knew that was because you wished they were all playing together… so now for you to act like you’re so concerned about public school kids feeling inferior is Hilarious! I know of no public school kid feeling inferior and it’s just another angle for you to attempt to shame the public schools into playing privates again . I actually do feel sorry for the private schools, but maybe instead of trying to shame the public schools to do your bidding , maybe the private schools should show they can be trusted to follow the rules . 

You made a suggestion that the private schools should show that they can be trusted and follow the rules.  How would you suggest that they show that they may be trusted?  Again, if the public schools really wanted to compete against the private schools they should reach out and see if anything could be worked out.  I will continue to say that as former PUBLIC SCHOOL athlete I never feared or didn’t want to compete against the private schools.  What I found to be true was that the private schools were always well coached, played hard and typically didn’t beat themselves but I was never on a team that lost to a private school so who knows.  Presently being in Texas I will tell you that the public schools are so good in Texas only a few of the private schools elect to compete against the public schools.  If football states like Georgia, Texas, Florida, California, Ohio and Pennsylvania compete head to head against the private school why not Tennessee?  What are those states doing differently than Tennessee?

Edited by cbg

1 minute ago, cbg said:

You made a suggestion that the private schools should show that they can be trusted and follow the rules.  How would you suggest that they show that they may be trusted?  Again, if the public schools really wanted to compete again with the private schools they should reach out and see if anything could be worked out.  Again as a former public school athlete I never feared or didn’t want to compete against the private schools.  What I found to be true is that the private schools were always played hard and typically didn’t beat themselves but I was never on a team that lost to a private school.  Presently being in Texas I can tell you that the public schools are so good that only a few of the private schools want to compete against the public schools.  If football states like Georgia, Texas, Florida, California, Ohio and Pennsylvania compete head to head against the private school why not Tennessee?  What are those states doing differently than Tennessee?

Simple…financial aid!  40+ on several teams of hand picked solid athletes.  It’s not even, it’s not fair, no reason to ever get back together.  This isn’t the 70’s or 80’s privates.  Those teams got beat every once in awhile.  These teams like Lipscomb getting kids out of state, yeah that completely fair to play a bunch of hometown kids.  Change the rules first!  

36 minutes ago, cbg said:

You made a suggestion that the private schools should show that they can be trusted and follow the rules.  How would you suggest that they show that they may be trusted?  Again, if the public schools really wanted to compete against the private schools they should reach out and see if anything could be worked out.  I will continue to say that as former PUBLIC SCHOOL athlete I never feared or didn’t want to compete against the private schools.  What I found to be true was that the private schools were always well coached, played hard and typically didn’t beat themselves but I was never on a team that lost to a private school so who knows.  Presently being in Texas I will tell you that the public schools are so good in Texas only a few of the private schools elect to compete against the public schools.  If football states like Georgia, Texas, Florida, California, Ohio and Pennsylvania compete head to head against the private school why not Tennessee?  What are those states doing differently than Tennessee?

Well I’m undefeated against Privates too , but that was last century! LoL. I’m one of the ones who wouldn’t mind exactly what you suggested, just 1A - 4A , we have way too many championship trophies handed out . State Championships shouldn’t be easy , I’m proud that our Championships were against Brentwood Academy… you mention your public school background, well it’s been obvious for years now that you’re all about the private schools in Tn now . You even say it’s all up to the public schools to bend the knee to the privates because they’re tired of feeling inferior… why can’t the private schools work collectively together to reassure the rest of the State that they Are willing to do whatever it takes to unify High school Football in Tn ? People who have attacked public school football in Tn as being inferior does no good whatsoever . Getting on CoachT and telling public schools how lucky they are they don’t play the Privates or how bad they’d get beat doesn’t help anyone’s desired goal. 

7 hours ago, cbg said:

Notice that my idea is not just to place the private and public schools back together.  There is also the part of only having 4 divisions for football, basketball and baseball with everyone back together.  Schools that offer work study or financial aid must play in 3A or 4A and no private, magnet or charter schools would play in Class A.  This would really benefit “ALL” schools with regular season travel unless they really want to play outside their geographical area which would result in spending less money.

Stop the narrative that public school kids are not good enough to play with the private school kids.  *As a former public school athlete I truly hate the message that is being quietly sent out.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, Fnltexas said:

Anyone else see the below about Dilfer salary?  Looked like several others reported online as well.  If true more power to him. Nothing wrong with getting paid what someone is willing to pay.  if true this has to be highest paid HS coach in the country I assume?  https://www.outkick.com/trent-dilfer-lipscomb-academy-salary-contract-facility-cost-barber-shop-football-tennessee/

Enough said. Your position can only be argued with the private's best interest in mind. There's no reasonable position to make that any rural public schools be expected to compete against anyone with the type of resources available to privates. A few short years ago Lipscomb was a second-tier type football program that posters on here said would never be able to compete against the "big dogs"...all it took was for them to focus on winning at any cost and write the checks. It's in TSSAA's mission statement that they provide (as closely as possible) "a level playing field", and no reasonable human being would expect any public to fund all their athletic programs combined to the extent of the lone salary of Lipscomb's Head Coach. Most publics struggle to keep facilities up to date with the essential equipment, much less a team barber shop.

How about this , 1A - 4A … and then 5A … 5A being anyone who wants to “get some ! “ Privates or anyone else willing to take on anyone… I would hope my team would be in that category… but maybe an Alcoa , Oakland, Greeneville etc and then BA, MBA , and the rest of the party … I’d be down with it 

1 hour ago, pepvol said:

How about this , 1A - 4A … and then 5A … 5A being anyone who wants to “get some ! “ Privates or anyone else willing to take on anyone… I would hope my team would be in that category… but maybe an Alcoa , Oakland, Greeneville etc and then BA, MBA , and the rest of the party … I’d be down with it 

I'd be perfectly fine with this, although this sounds pretty much like Super 32. Not sure alot of the successful programs would willingly move up when they are dominating their own area

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pepvol said:

Well I’m undefeated against Privates too , but that was last century! LoL. I’m one of the ones who wouldn’t mind exactly what you suggested, just 1A - 4A , we have way too many championship trophies handed out . State Championships shouldn’t be easy , I’m proud that our Championships were against Brentwood Academy… you mention your public school background, well it’s been obvious for years now that you’re all about the private schools in Tn now . You even say it’s all up to the public schools to bend the knee to the privates because they’re tired of feeling inferior… why can’t the private schools work collectively together to reassure the rest of the State that they Are willing to do whatever it takes to unify High school Football in Tn ? People who have attacked public school football in Tn as being inferior does no good whatsoever . Getting on CoachT and telling public schools how lucky they are they don’t play the Privates or how bad they’d get beat doesn’t help anyone’s desired goal. 

The only public schools that I continually bash are MNPS and as a graduate I do feel that I have that right.  The main reason that MNPS are so bad is they are layered with career politicians that don’t want to fix the issues because they send their own children to private schools. Just look at where King John Cooper sent his own children to school.  Let’s go one step further and ask what was the last mayor of Davidson County that sent their own children to MNPS?  I know that I am dating myself but in the 60’s and 70’s you had a good school system in Nashville.  The minute they closed the neighborhood school system things began to rapidly go down hill and now you have complete chaos. Before MNPS closed the neighborhood schools you only had a a select few private schools (Montgomery Bell Academy, Father Ryan and David Lipscomb) in Nashville that participated in football. All of the other private, charter and magnet schools began popping up much later.  Currently in Davidson County you have high schools that were built for 2000 students that today barely have 600 students and most every publication claims that Nashville is the number one city in the USA to live.  If so many people are moving to Nashville and Davidson County why is the MNPS system not busting at the seams and being forced to build new schools?  The reason is that MNPS are atrocious and when people have children they either move outside of Davidson County to a better schools system or they send their children to private schools.  In closing I would really like to know how the public schools in Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, Pennsylvania and Ohio are able to consistently compete with the private schools in their state.  What are the public schools in those states doing differently than Tennessee?  Where I am currently at in Texas the public schools are so dominant in football that the private schools truly can’t compete with the public schools.  

Edited by cbg