Quarter finals Blackman@Oakland

ttitan27

10 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

heckuva fight put up by the Blaze tonight. Scoreboard doesn't really do the game justice. Tip of the cap to them and looking forward to see if they can build on the success of this year

Blackman matched the physicality of OHS's defense by running at them.  They messed up by continually onside kicking.  You can't give Oakland a short field.  Nothing to be ashamed of by Blackman.  Oakland's defense is not anywhere near what it has been the past years.  Going to be an interesting game with Maryville.

5 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

State title to his name in his first year of taking over a program that had won 14 games in the last 4 seasons, that's a little more than decent. 

Nothing false in saying he did a good job building the program to where a coach of Creasy's caliber could hit the ground running. 

McDaniel did have a great first year, but the rest of his tenure wasn't bad but wasn't great.  He only won one district title during his seven year tenure.  How has he done at Christian Brothers?  

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Blackman matched the physicality of OHS's defense by running at them.  They messed up by continually onside kicking.  You can't give Oakland a short field.  Nothing to be ashamed of by Blackman.  Oakland's defense is not anywhere near what it has been the past years.  Going to be an interesting game with Maryville.

Or any team of Oakland's caliber. Most of Oakland's defense from last year is playing college football, so I'd hope so. Maryville has taken their lumps too

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

McDaniel did have a great first year, but the rest of his tenure wasn't bad but wasn't great.  He only won one district title during his seven year tenure.  How has he done at Christian Brothers?  

Had 3 other 10+ win seasons, so was still better than everyone else over his tenure. Last 2 years went 24-3. CBHS is never gonna have the kind of talent that Nashville privates get, but McDaniel got to nearly triple his salary and go back home. Without McDaniel, you don't have the run they are on now with Creasy

Very good game by Blackman tonight.   Justin Brown is the real deal.   Incredible athlete.   They gave Oakland a good fight for three quarters.   The onside kicks from Blackman worked well in Oaklands favor.   Two were out of bounds.  One at Blackman 47 and one at Blackman 43.  Give it up coach.  

Great game Oakland.   Showed toughness and fight.   Looking forward to our guests from East Tennessee at Ray Hughes next week.   I hope it's a turkey sandwich night. 

38 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

Very good game by Blackman tonight.   Justin Brown is the real deal.   Incredible athlete.   They gave Oakland a good fight for three quarters.   The onside kicks from Blackman worked well in Oaklands favor.   Two were out of bounds.  One at Blackman 47 and one at Blackman 43.  Give it up coach.  

Great game Oakland.   Showed toughness and fight.   Looking forward to our guests from East Tennessee at Ray Hughes next week.   I hope it's a turkey sandwich night. 

23-16 they should have kicked it deep, Blackman defense isn’t like Oakland, they have to try to get the ball man. 

3 minutes ago, arshad221 said:

23-16 they should have kicked it deep, Blackman defense isn’t like Oakland, they have to try to get the ball man. 

Yeah I understand that Tygard believes in the onside kicks, but it really cost them tonight. Blackman may not have stopped Oakland anyway but you can’t keep letting them start drives in your own territory and expect to be able to keep up.

1 minute ago, volwalker23 said:

Yeah I understand that Tygard believes in the onside kicks, but it really cost them tonight. Blackman may not have stopped Oakland anyway but you can’t keep letting them start drives in your own territory and expect to be able to keep up.

You’re right about that. They gotta make defense the top priority next season. 

• Like 1

My final take for the game and this season. "Man I am proud of these kids and Coaches!!!!!" They really did a great job from top to bottom. They changed staff, they changed offensive scheme, they changed attitude and brought a good fight to a dominant Oakland program. For those scratching their heads and complaining about onside kicks I would point out we recovered 13 this year. Thats 13 additional possessions. On those we didn't recover we gave them an avg starting position of the 46  For the kicks that were deep, we gave the opponents an avg start of the 37. So in essence we are giving up 9 yards for a shot at the ball, but I digress. This team has come along way and I am looking forward to what Coach Tygard does in the coming years. Congrats to Oakland, go get another Gold ball.