Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

3 hours ago, WaveGoodbye said:

Since nobody has responded to this in a while, and no names have really leaked...  I decided to do a list of potential candidates from East, Middle, and West TN.   Plus a couple others.

EAST:

Brad Waggoner, Gatlinburg-Pittman

Greg Ryan, Knoxville Catholic OC  (Greenback HC 2015-2020)

Hayden Chandley, David Crockett

Chris Brown, Baylor DC  (Red Bank HC 2018-2021)

Eddie Spradlen, Greeneville

MIDDLE:

Derek Rang, Lewis Co.

Adam Caine, Upperman

Jamaal Stewart, East Nashville

Thomas Osteen, Marshall Co.

Chase Brooks, E. Robertson

WEST:

Chris Smith, Haywood

JR Kirby, Covington

Bryant Hollingsworth, Lexington

MISSISSIPPI:

Scott Martin, Lafayette Middle School  (Charleston High School 2013-2019)

Carl Diffee, North Panola?  (Milan 2020-2021)

I realize some of these guys may not be realistic, but they are by no means ridiculous.  In any event, all of them possess great ability and have proven it on the sidelines at one point or another.

So it's not often that you see coaches go from one part to another, even less often that they are successful. There might have been a time where Gallatin was appealing statewide, but I believe that time has passed.

I could see Waggoner since he's got some familiarity with the area, but he seems pretty content there. Yeah he has to deal with Alcoa, but if he took the Gallatin job he'd have to deal with Oakland/RuCo. Ryan and Brown would both be taking a pay cut, would make even less sense for Brown since he left a good situation at RB to go to Baylor. Don't know much about Chandler and Spradlen leaving Greeneville for a job where it'll be tough just to make the playoffs would be a head scratcher. Kind of surprised you didn't mention Ballard instead.

West TN, the only name that would probably gets folks excited would be Smith, but with current situation and Haywood about to undergo a population boom with the ford plant, I can't see that happening. Don't know Martin and id have doubts about a guy who only lasted 2 seasons at Milan.

Middle TN, Rang moves around too much for my liking if I'm a Gallatin fan, although you cant dispute his ability. As SumCo said, Stewart is building something good at EN and so is Brooks at ER. I could see both Caine and Osteen, although both are in really good situations.

Honestly, Gallatin might be better off going for a top assistant or an HC that is a little under the radar that may have taken his current program as far as it can. Would love to what a guy like Chris Hughes or Kyle Shoulders could do at a place with more talent

3 hours ago, WaveGoodbye said:

Since nobody has responded to this in a while, and no names have really leaked...  I decided to do a list of potential candidates from East, Middle, and West TN.   Plus a couple others.

EAST:

Brad Waggoner, Gatlinburg-Pittman

Greg Ryan, Knoxville Catholic OC  (Greenback HC 2015-2020)

Hayden Chandley, David Crockett

Chris Brown, Baylor DC  (Red Bank HC 2018-2021)

Eddie Spradlen, Greeneville

MIDDLE:

Derek Rang, Lewis Co.

Adam Caine, Upperman

Jamaal Stewart, East Nashville

Thomas Osteen, Marshall Co.

Chase Brooks, E. Robertson

WEST:

Chris Smith, Haywood

JR Kirby, Covington

Bryant Hollingsworth, Lexington

MISSISSIPPI:

Scott Martin, Lafayette Middle School  (Charleston High School 2013-2019)

Carl Diffee, North Panola?  (Milan 2020-2021)

I realize some of these guys may not be realistic, but they are by no means ridiculous.  In any event, all of them possess great ability and have proven it on the sidelines at one point or another.

This is a solid list.  All have good qualities and would make a for a good hire.  

Chris Brown is an interesting name and one I have not considered before.  
Chase Brooks is interesting but I wonder how he would do in the long term.  He is loaded at East Robertson for the foreseeable future. 
Scott Martin is also interesting and most don’t realize how good he was.  In fact, I didn’t until I was given some info on him.  

I think on this list: Greg Ryan is he available or still at Catholic?  Could be a possibility.  Does Waggoner want to leave and come back to middle Tn?  Stewart….kids would love him.  Has he sustained enough though…he is young enough to grow here.  Caine has always been my #1 guy.  I think he has a very high ceiling.  Rang…. Could he stay here more than 3 years?  He definitely knows how to build up a program.  Chris Smith would be a blockbuster hire.  He knows what it takes and could relate to the kids really well.  

16 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

So it's not often that you see coaches go from one part to another, even less often that they are successful. There might have been a time where Gallatin was appealing statewide, but I believe that time has passed.

I could see Waggoner since he's got some familiarity with the area, but he seems pretty content there. Yeah he has to deal with Alcoa, but if he took the Gallatin job he'd have to deal with Oakland/RuCo. Ryan and Brown would both be taking a pay cut, would make even less sense for Brown since he left a good situation at RB to go to Baylor. Don't know much about Chandler and Spradlen leaving Greeneville for a job where it'll be tough just to make the playoffs would be a head scratcher. Kind of surprised you didn't mention Ballard instead.

West TN, the only name that would probably gets folks excited would be Smith, but with current situation and Haywood about to undergo a population boom with the ford plant, I can't see that happening. Don't know Martin and id have doubts about a guy who only lasted 2 seasons at Milan.

Middle TN, Rang moves around too much for my liking if I'm a Gallatin fan, although you cant dispute his ability. As SumCo said, Stewart is building something good at EN and so is Brooks at ER. I could see both Caine and Osteen, although both are in really good situations.

Honestly, Gallatin might be better off going for a top assistant or an HC that is a little under the radar that may have taken his current program as far as it can. Would love to what a guy like Chris Hughes or Kyle Shoulders could do at a place with more talent

I don’t think Gallatin can afford to go after an “under the radar” type guy.  We just went through 2 of those, and it has set the program back exponentially.   The administration has to get this one right.   Can they?   We’ll see.  

17 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I know that seems to be a very popular take.  Gallatin isn’t that attractive anymore.  Nobody would really want to come here.  Tradition was 30 years ago not now.  A decent assistant that is up and coming would be your best bet. Yet….they had 60+ candidates in what I would consider a short amount of time and over half of them were current head coaches.  Article in the paper on the search is quoted as saying so.  That information came from the school.  So somebody out there…in fact several somebodies out there are showing some interest.  

31 minutes ago, WaveGoodbye said:

I don’t think Gallatin can afford to go after an “under the radar” type guy.  We just went through 2 of those, and it has set the program back exponentially.   The administration has to get this one right.   Can they?   We’ll see.  

Under the radar for me would be a guy like Hughes that has proven himself over a long time with not alot of talent. I thought Watson would do well but I didn't consider him under the radar. 

26 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I know that seems to be a very popular take.  Gallatin isn’t that attractive anymore.  Nobody would really want to come here.  Tradition was 30 years ago not now.  A decent assistant that is up and coming would be your best bet. Yet….they had 60+ candidates in what I would consider a short amount of time and over half of them were current head coaches.  Article in the paper on the search is quoted as saying so.  That information came from the school.  So somebody out there…in fact several somebodies out there are showing some interest.  

I still think Gallatin is a good job, but I don't think it's the kind of elite job that sends a ripple effect through the state. However, playing in 6A as well as the region that they do, there are some obstacles in their way. I want Gallatin to do well bc I miss Oakland playing them

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

So who are the coaches that they told??

Aren’t all turf fields free unless he actually takes money out of his pocket to help fund it?  

Free in the sense that he doesn’t have to fundraise any money to get it while he would have to do if he went to Gallatin. I’m not gonna name names but Brooks and Stewart have both made it know around the coaching community that they aren’t leaving.

1 hour ago, sumcofootball said:

Free in the sense that he doesn’t have to fundraise any money to get it while he would have to do if he went to Gallatin. I’m not gonna name names but Brooks and Stewart have both made it know around the coaching community that they aren’t leaving.

Well you might be right and you might be wrong.   I think something will be more defined closer to the 1st.  

On 12/18/2022 at 9:39 PM, GWAVE1 said:

I think he lost the desire though.   4 years ago nobody thought Gallatin would get a good coach, what has changed in 4 years that now Gallatin can get an established one?  

I didn’t think they would make a good hire last time and I still don’t think they will draw the type of coach many others do. I think Blade would be the absolute ceiling and I believe the only reason he would be interested is because he has been out (again that’s assuming he wants to coach again period). I personally think Gallatin finds a way to screw it up again.

It's going to be hard getting any metro guy , there is about an $8,000 pay difference in the teaching scale. Unless the booster club can make up the difference I don't ever see a big name Metro coach leaving. And that's just teacher pay. I don't think anyone would leave and end up making the same amount. When Gallatin is a tougher place to swim while partnering up with Murfreesboro in the playoffs

Blade would be the best option cause he has built up every program he has been apart of . Only time will tell I guess.

25 minutes ago, DarkKnight4 said:

It's going to be hard getting any metro guy , there is about an $8,000 pay difference in the teaching scale. Unless the booster club can make up the difference I don't ever see a big name Metro coach leaving. And that's just teacher pay. I don't think anyone would leave and end up making the same amount. When Gallatin is a tougher place to swim while partnering up with Murfreesboro in the playoffs

Blade would be the best option cause he has built up every program he has been apart of . Only time will tell I guess.

Has Blade even applied??  Why does his name keep getting brought up?  

8 minutes ago, DarkKnight4 said:

Honestly I'm just going off the chats information. I have no clue who has applied , but I was speaking on metro because I heard last time when AB was an option he would be losing close to 19k leaving metro . 

Why even apply knowing you’re gonna lose money?  At least on the pay scale.