Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

Why are West Moreland and Liberty Creek open zoned?  So Sumner County is not “truly” closed zoned.  What’s going to happen in Sumner County with the school choice program that the State of Tennessee has proposed?

Westmoreland isn't anymore. I believe that all stopped when covid hit. 

10 hours ago, Beeman said:

I never said that Upperman facilities were not trash, I said Gallatin’s was, when you go to build a successful program you have to change the culture and that is not an easy job. It takes time and people to buy in. Gallatin was a great program years ago it’s not now, so what’s enticing someone to go  there? Just because you guys say that they would be great. Maybe,  maybe not, Coach Adam Caine, and his family Love Upperman and the Community, it would take a big offer for him to leave , because he’s already changed the culture and built a program that wins. Gallatin is not that great of a job even though you guys think it is. You can think I don’t know what I’m talking about all you want but I know the money he was offered, etc. I also know he turned it down. Maybe there’s a reason you don’t have a coach yet think about that !!

First, I think a lot of Adam Caine and what he has accomplished.  He has won at Sequatchie Co and at Upperman.  Two places that have been considered tough win at.  Caine is a solid coach that I openly pulled for to take this job 5 years ago.  I thought he could really turn this program around then as I think he could now. He was not sought after years ago and did not apply. Caine would be liked and supported if he chose to come here.  Gallatin needs a guy like him to rebuild this program and culture just like he has done at Upperman and Sequatchie Co.  I feel he would be an asset and I would help him in anyway I could to support his vision for this football team.   I hope he allows the process to continue if he so chooses because there are several high profile and good candidates that have also applied and want this job. 

Now, Beeman, calling the facilities at Gallatin trash is uncalled for.  There is a brand new weightroom with brand new weight lifting equipment.  The field is getting a facelift as we speak with new bathrooms, concessions and visitor side seating.   The locker rooms and coaching offices do need some touching up.  I would hope that whomever takes the job puts their fingerprint on however they want to upgrade those facilities.  But they are not trash!  The indoor facility is obviously nice and one of the first ever in the state of Tn.  Nice enough that several colleges have used it for practice when they were in town for the Music City Bowl.  The school itself is clean and orderly, Dr Ron Becker would not have it any other way!!  Are there room for football upgrades, yes!  But they are far from trash and dare say better than what is currently on your campus.  Have you personally been to Gallatin and looked for yourself?  Have you been on campus?  Have you seen the indoor facility, weight room (which you can find online by the way),  the multiple practice fields dedicated for football, the locker rooms, anything at all personally with your own eyes??   Funny how you say, Beeman, you know what was offered.  What was the amount?  Because I assure you I know the Putnam/Sumner pay scale.  I know what according to public records people make.  I also know the range of what kind of money Gallatin is offering.   Baxter is a decent community, I am not going to bash the place, heck One of my best friends lives there.  But I am not going to let you besmirch Gallatin without a response.   The talent is here, the support is here, the community is here, and obviously from the amount of interest from solid coaches the interest is here.   Somebody knows a whole lot more than you do, in fact a lot of people do, Beeman.  In fact, according to you, even your coach showed interest.   I think your just mad and don’t want a good one to get away.  

Somebody is taking this job and it will be a really really good coach.  

Edited by GWAVE1

15 minutes ago, cbg said:

Why are West Moreland and Liberty Creek open zoned?  So Sumner County is not “truly” closed zoned.  What’s going to happen in Sumner County with the school choice program that the State of Tennessee has proposed?

Liberty Creek and Westmoreland were the only schools within the county allowed to have in county transfers this past year.  Neither were near capacity per Sumner Co BoE.  

57 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

First, I think a lot of Adam Caine and what he has accomplished.  He has won at Sequatchie Co and at Upperman.  Two places that have been considered tough win at.  Caine is a solid coach that I openly pulled for to take this job 5 years ago.  I thought he could really turn this program around then as I think he could now. He was not sought after years ago and did not apply. Caine would be liked and supported if he chose to come here.  Gallatin needs a guy like him to rebuild this program and culture just like he has done at Upperman and Sequatchie Co.  I feel he would be an asset and I would help him in anyway I could to support his vision for this football team.   I hope he allows the process to continue if he so chooses because there are several high profile and good candidates that have also applied and want this job. 

Now, Beeman, calling the facilities at Gallatin trash is uncalled for.  There is a brand new weightroom with brand new weight lifting equipment.  The field is getting a facelift as we speak with new bathrooms, concessions and visitor side seating.   The locker rooms and coaching offices do need some touching up.  I would hope that whomever takes the job puts their fingerprint on however they want to upgrade those facilities.  But they are not trash!  The indoor facility is obviously nice and one of the first ever in the state of Tn.  Nice enough that several colleges have used it for practice when they were in town for the Music City Bowl.  The school itself is clean and orderly, Dr Ron Becker would not have it any other way!!  Are there room for football upgrades, yes!  But they are far from trash and dare say better than what is currently on your campus.  Have you personally been to Gallatin and looked for yourself?  Have you been on campus?  Have you seen the indoor facility, weight room (which you can find online by the way),  the multiple practice fields dedicated for football, the locker rooms, anything at all personally with your own eyes??   Funny how you say, Beeman, you know what was offered.  What was the amount?  Because I assure you I know the Putnam/Sumner pay scale.  I know what according to public records people make.  I also know the range of what kind of money Gallatin is offering.   Baxter is a decent community, I am not going to bash the place, heck One of my best friends lives there.  But I am not going to let you besmirch Gallatin without a response.   The talent is here, the support is here, the community is here, and obviously from the amount of interest from solid coaches the interest is here.   Somebody knows a whole lot more than you do, in fact a lot of people do, Beeman.  In fact, according to you, even your coach showed interest.   I think your just mad and don’t want a good one to get away.  

Somebody is taking this job and it will be a really really good coach.  

First off, don’t get so offended by words, you’re right I don’t want to see Adam Caine leave because I’m really good friends with him. He is a very good coach and he is  an old-school coach. Let me retract what I said about Gallatin. The facilities are not trash. They’re just outdated and as you say they’re fixing them that’s great but that’s not enough to lure him away. That’s what I’m saying. When Gallatin was relevant and really good back in the day when I was in high school, there was not many other schools in your area now they have to split that money between all the schools so they don’t have the funds they used to have just for Gallatin that may be one problem plus your community is not as big as what it used to be because they support other schools now . Do I think Caine could do a great job there, yes, I know he could but he loves where he’s at his family loves where he’s at it’s a small town that before he got here was not very good at football just OK. His old school mentality  with the small community has been wonderful and they kind of gelled together. The kids absolutely resonate to him and absolutely love him. I do not feel at liberty to tell what he was offered and it’s not my place , but I do know, if anyone wants to know, they need to call him and ask him ! Don’t think I’m against Gallatin at all one of my very good friends played football there that lives here in Cookeville 2 streets over from me. I have no ill towards Gallatin and I’m not upset that Coach Caine is checking on jobs., Heck, I didn’t even graduate from Upperman. I actually went to Cookeville. I hope you guys do get a good coach and I hope you make it all the way to the state championships. I really do. The only reason I got on here was to let people know that he was offered and was contacted. He did not put him for the job. They contacted him. I’m telling you what I know and what I feel comfortable telling you. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Beeman said:

First off, don’t get so offended by words, you’re right I don’t want to see Adam Caine leave because I’m really good friends with him. He is a very good coach and he is  an old-school coach. Let me retract what I said about Gallatin. The facilities are not trash. They’re just outdated and as you say they’re fixing them that’s great but that’s not enough to lure him away. That’s what I’m saying. When Gallatin was relevant and really good back in the day when I was in high school, there was not many other schools in your area now they have to split that money between all the schools so they don’t have the funds they used to have just for Gallatin that may be one problem plus your community is not as big as what it used to be because they support other schools now . Do I think Caine could do a great job there, yes, I know he could but he loves where he’s at his family loves where he’s at it’s a small town that before he got here was not very good at football just OK. His old school mentality  with the small community has been wonderful and they kind of gelled together. The kids absolutely resonate to him and absolutely love him. I do not feel at liberty to tell what he was offered and it’s not my place , but I do know, if anyone wants to know, they need to call him and ask him ! Don’t think I’m against Gallatin at all one of my very good friends played football there that lives here in Cookeville 2 streets over from me. I have no ill towards Gallatin and I’m not upset that Coach Caine is checking on jobs., Heck, I didn’t even graduate from Upperman. I actually went to Cookeville. I hope you guys do get a good coach and I hope you make it all the way to the state championships. I really do. The only reason I got on here was to let people know that he was offered and was contacted. He did not put him for the job. They contacted him. I’m telling you what I know and what I feel comfortable telling you. 

I know a whole lot more than I say on here too.  Most coaches don’t want it out if they are looking or applying.  I do not know why his name got out so haphazardly on a message board.   Most I have done is list a bunch of names I would go after and that was done way before I know what I know now.   If he wants to stay where he is at, that’s fine, there might be other reasons than just money.  They money range is far more than what most think and I know for a fact, it would be a good pay raise based on numbers provided.   I am just glad this administration reached out to some quality guys and are proactive.  You cannot just sit back and let them come to you.  Several people have been involved getting attention to this job and there has been a lot of interest.  But I do not think he was offered the job, I think that would only happen after multiple interviews had taken place and lots of talk.  

42 minutes ago, Beeman said:

So you're gonna get on here and say you know how much they offered him, but you won't say how much it was?   Convenient...  And nobody here is going to go ask Adam Caine how much Gallatin offered him.  He's not the one who got on a message board bragging about knowing how much the offer was.  You did that.  So let's hear how much Gallatin threw at him?

Outsider here. I highly doubt Caine was offered anything. I'm thinking there was probably some interest on both sides and there was probably some initial information thrown out there such as typical teaching salary and coaching stipend, pretty much what anyone could get with a little research. Also, Beeman, I'm pretty sure Upperman had been pretty good before Caine got there. I can't remember the coach before name that really built the Upperman program. I want to say Herring but I may be off on that. Anyway, not taking a shot at Caine, but he did not build that program. Has he done well, yes, but so did the coach before him. 

10 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Outsider here. I highly doubt Caine was offered anything. I'm thinking there was probably some interest on both sides and there was probably some initial information thrown out there such as typical teaching salary and coaching stipend, pretty much what anyone could get with a little research. Also, Beeman, I'm pretty sure Upperman had been pretty good before Caine got there. I can't remember the coach before name that really built the Upperman program. I want to say Herring but I may be off on that. Anyway, not taking a shot at Caine, but he did not build that program. Has he done well, yes, but so did the coach before him. 

Ben Herron was there from 2011-2017.  He went 48-33 overall, which isn't awful.  13-1 in 2013 and 9-3 in 2015.  Outside of those two years, they were pretty average.   Caine has definitely elevated the program, though.   Having said all that, I don't think he was offered anything either.

Not acting as Beeman's wingman here, but I've also heard details of an offer. Not just salary, but also things such as teaching requirements, assistants, etc. Maybe it was just interview chit chat that they discuss with all candidates during the process, but it sounded more like an offer to me. I guess others with more familiarity the process could judge that better. 

5 minutes ago, WaveGoodbye said:

Ben Herron was there from 2011-2017.  He went 48-33 overall, which isn't awful.  13-1 in 2013 and 9-3 in 2015.  Outside of those two years, they were pretty average.   Caine has definitely elevated the program, though.   Having said all that, I don't think he was offered anything either.

Records for Upperman last 10 years... 2012 ( 4-6) ...  2013 (13-1) lost to Alcoa in semi...2014 (7-5)...2015 (9-3) ...2016 (4-7) ...2017 (6-5) ...2018 (13-1) lost to Alcoa in semi...2019 (10-2) ...2020 (8-4) ...2021 (12-2) ...2022 (9-3) ...98-38 in last 10 years ..Pretty good  average 

1 minute ago, runninblind said:

Records for Upperman last 10 years... 2012 ( 4-6) ...  2013 (13-1) lost to Alcoa in semi...2014 (7-5)...2015 (9-3) ...2016 (4-7) ...2017 (6-5) ...2018 (13-1) lost to Alcoa in semi...2019 (10-2) ...2020 (8-4) ...2021 (12-2) ...2022 (9-3) ...98-38 in last 10 years ..Pretty good  average 

They also made the semis in 21 and lost to Betsy.

• Upvote 1