Best player and best player most won’t know from your high school

1OldPatriot

2 hours ago, REBELRON said:

Antonio Patterson was a beast.

On the flip side, I always thought TD Blackmon didn't get near the praise he should have. Wasn't the biggest , fastest, etc but when Maryville needed a big play on defense, always seemed like he was there. Felt like he played at Maryville for 10 yrs, I was glad to see him graduate 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:50 AM, MidTennFootball said:

For Oakland, not sure there is one that just sticks above the rest. Jordan James might change my mind in a few years if he has the career at Oregon I think he can, he was the perfect blend of power and speed that you would want from a tailback.

Woodi Washington should get consideration as well, truly a lockdown corner and has had a good career at Oklahoma, showing the kind of versatility that makes you invaluable to pro teams. 

Oakland has been pretty blessed with good OL over the years, but I think Jack Jones stood above all of them. He looked the part, but he was a one man wrecking ball. Had injuries not derailed his career at UT, I think he would have done really well there and then play in the NFL.

As for unsung, the 2 names that come to mind are Wes Counts and Antonio Patterson. Counts played on some really bad Oakland teams in the mid 90s, was often the only bright spot. Was able to have a really good career at MTSU as they transitioned to FBS.

Patterson was RB2 on the Oakland teams that went back to back in 20 and 21. Would have started at just about anywhere else had he taken the easy out and transferred, likely could have won Mr. Football had he done so. Was a really good defender as well when needed 

Idk how long you been an Oakland fan but I’m shocked you didn’t post bj nelson name on here. 

1 hour ago, arshad221 said:

Idk how long you been an Oakland fan but I’m shocked you didn’t post bj nelson name on here. 

Since the early to mid 90s when we were pretty bad. Def thought about Nelson, he played a big role on that title team in 2008, might have played an even bigger role if Oakland wasn't so deep at TB that year. Def deserves mention, as does Justin Jefferson, just hard to pick even a few

On 12/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, runninblind said:

Remember Todd Collins watched him play in  the 1989 State championship ! He was a beast ! 

Was 1987 state championship. In 1989 Rhea Co. edged them out in the quarterfinals at their place. Rhea lost to Oakland in the semifinals. Collins was indeed a beast though.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2023 at 7:29 AM, cbg said:

I have always said that to win a state championship a team must get their average players to play better than the other teams average players and Maryville has consistently done this better than any other school.  The good players on each team will normally cancel each other out.

THIS!!

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:28 PM, 1OldPatriot said:

Jefferson Co

Best Player - Todd Collins (TE-LB) High School All American and USA Today Defensive Player of the year,  collegiate All American. Played in the NFL for the Patriots and won a Super Bowl with the Rams

Best player most have never heard of - Joe West (RB- OLB). All State as a JR at OLB. His SR year against Oak Ridge (1st game of the year) he had 187 yds on 7 carries with 2 TDs. Tore his ACL and was out the rest of the year. Went on to play at Carson Newman. Now is police chief in Jefferson City

Darius Blevins from Mtown West was also on that Super Bowl team

On 12/14/2022 at 8:28 PM, 1OldPatriot said:

Jefferson Co

Best Player - Todd Collins (TE-LB) High School All American and USA Today Defensive Player of the year,  collegiate All American. Played in the NFL for the Patriots and won a Super Bowl with the Rams

Best player most have never heard of - Joe West (RB- OLB). All State as a JR at OLB. His SR year against Oak Ridge (1st game of the year) he had 187 yds on 7 carries with 2 TDs. Tore his ACL and was out the rest of the year. Went on to play at Carson Newman. Now is police chief in Jefferson City

I remember Joe. I was there for the 86 game. Very good RB. Excellent acceleration.

My view on OR's tops is Shawn Summers. Best HS player I still have ever seen. Not the best RB, best player. He had something like 280 yards, 5 TDs and 20 tackles against Knox Central in the 4th round playoff game in 1991. I've never seen another good HS player be that dominant on both sides of the ball and I've seen many kids that played  that were way better athletes, but, not as accomplished as a HS FB player. Todd Helton was darn close.

Jackie Pope was before my era of watching, he averaged 17 yards per carry which is hard to believe. Choo Choo Charley Justice averaged ~ 25 yards per carry. Hard to see how either did that.

• 1 month later...

Best player out of Beech is definitely Jalen Hurd.

Best relative unknown i would say is either Dorian Carter or Max Zinchini. Carter was a stupid good RB who just happened to have to share the backfield with Hurd. I wish he got a full year as the true #1. Zinchini on the other hand was just a freak athlete. Played WR/DB for the 09 state champion team and was always making plays. Had great hands, great route runner, great speed. Just never really cared and was more worried about off field things, and its a shame. Kid could've done great things.

Best player Todd Loveday, aka tlove13, obviously. Gooder QB, even gooder safety. With that cast on it looked like bob orton slinging the ball all over burchfiel stadium.

Best player most won’t know is without a doubt raun garlock. Probably the most aggressive kid to ever block someone at 1200 Dolly Parton. Kid was so nasty they even named a block after him, the garlock block. I’m sure tlove13, notsowise50, jan8675309, FBistoophysicalforme, gobears89, rippinbigpoots, gwbush, and many others from dolly’s hometown remember the garlock block. The LMAOc doesn’t because he’s some transplant that can’t develop a qb good enough to beat Newport. But all the others reading everything Murphy posts remember it. That corners coach that used to play QB remembers the garlock block, that’s why he was able to extend all them plays and sound like Superman on wdly 105.5 fm.  I’m sure there’s an assistant principal that remembers that block too. And I bet there’s an assistant coaching the line that grew up going to games at burchfiel stadium that watched the unknown legend play when said assistant wasn’t busy playing tag with his friends on the field house side of burchfiel stadium. 

I would have said chief as the best player, but these people don’t know their own history.