D1 AA Preview And Predictions

Bump11

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages..Bump11 proudly brings to you…his 2023 T$$AA state championship tournament previews and predictions! 

I will do my very best to go a little in depth at every weight class and give you my personal predictions, as well as some potential bracket busters (guys who are not currently ranked, even if they had been ranked previously) and matches to watch. It will take me a couple of days to get them all up but i will try to do a couple here and there as i have time  

Disclaimer: These are solely my opinion on the brackets. And while i will stay unbiased, being in middle TN, i only get to watch guys around here for the most part, outside of the top guys elsewhere. If i miss someone that could be a dark horse from the west or east, it is simply because i do not have as much knowledge on the lesser known commodities outside of Middle TN. With that being said, please bear with me if i miss anyone! And as always, if you don’t like it, feel free to give your own personal predictions!

Edited by Bump11

Starting at 106-

Favorite: Jose Cordero (Cleveland)

Bracket Busters: Reed Loeffel (Brentwood), Bryce Pulitzer (Dobyns), Aiden Lindsay (Warren Co.), Nick Moore (Houston)

So theoretically this should very well be the Jose Cordero show. He’s proven to be the top guy at this weight ever since entering the lineup for the Blue Raiders. That being said, Rincon (Bradley) has wrestled him very close this season, and Colson (Blackman) holds a decision win over him this year..meaning that he is not unbeatable. Lucky for Jose, he wouldn’t face either of them until the final, after they likely have to go through each other in the semis. I think these 3 are the consensus top 3 for a reason and fully expect them to go 1 2 3 in some order. I would also expect whoever does come out of that bottom half, to absolutely bring it and throw everything they have at Jose, which should make for an exciting final. 

Prediction:

1. Jose Cordero (Cleveland)

2. Sebron Colson (Blackman)

3. Miguel Rincon (Bradley)

4. Chase Fisher (Wilson)

5. Reed Loeffel (Brentwood)

6. Blaise Masi (Summit)

One match away: Nick Moore (Houston), Bryce Pulitzer (Dobyns)

1st round matches to watch:

Fisher vs Lindsay

Next up, 113:

Favorites: Chase Walker (Cleveland), Mason Jakob (Dobyns)

Bracket Busters: Kyler Groves (Bradley), Nick Collins (Rossview), Michael Johnson (Mt. Juliet), Nate Graham (Station Camp)

113 is a bit more complicated than 106, with 4 returning medalists, and an additional 4 guys that have been either ranked at some point this year, or atleast in the conversation. What that means is that there will be some very good, very deserving kids that will miss out on the podium. Outside of the 2 favorites and the other 3 returning medalists (S. Miller, Creque, Baltz)…Groves, Collins, Johnson, and Graham, as well as Connatser and Ferrer, could all make some noise and make their way onto the podium. While i think everyone expects a Walker vs Jakob final, the blood and medal rounds at this weight are going to be fireworks! Speaking of the final…Chase Walker is good. Chase Walker is very good, heck some might even say he’s borderline elite. And Chase Walker i think is head and shoulders above anyone else at this weight…except 1. Enter freshman phenom, Mason Jakob. I had the pleasure of watching Mason wrestle for the first time at state duals, and everything people say about him is true. Chase Walker is one of the very best in the state, but Mason is knocking on the door of being one of the very best in the entire country. I will not count Chase out for a second, don’t take this as a “Mason will run through him”, because that’s not what i’m saying. I think Chase puts up a good fight, but at the end of the day i just don’t see anyone being on Mason’s level. 

Prediction:

1. Mason Jakob (Dobyns)

2. Chase Walker (Cleveland)

3. Colby Baltz (Houston)

4. Stiles Miller (Science Hill)

5. Nate Graham (Station Camp)

6. Chase Creque (Siegel)

One match away: Brock Connatser (Walker Valley), Kyler Groves (Bradley)

1st Round Matches To Watch:

D. Miller vs Graham, Groves vs Collins, Creque vs Johnson

Edited by Bump11
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bump11 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages..Bump11 proudly brings to you…his 2023 T$$AA state championship tournament previews and predictions! 

I will do my very best to go a little in depth at every weight class and give you my personal predictions, as well as some potential bracket busters (guys who are not currently ranked, even if they had been ranked previously) and matches to watch. It will take me a couple of days to get them all up but i will try to do a couple here and there as i have time  

Disclaimer: These are solely my opinion on the brackets. And while i will stay unbiased, being in middle TN, i only get to watch guys around here for the most part, outside of the top guys elsewhere. If i miss someone that could be a dark horse from the west or east, it is simply because i do not have as much knowledge on the lesser known commodities outside of Middle TN. With that being said, please bear with me if i miss anyone! And as always, if you don’t like it, feel free to give your own personal predictions!

Hey Bump just curious who you are.  I've seen your posts on here for many years. I do enjoy the predictions myselph :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAKEKO said:

Hey Bump just curious who you are.  I've seen your posts on here for many years. I do enjoy the predictions myselph :)

just a former high school wrestler who loves the sport and enjoys watching it grow! I was never all that great, but i love the sport! i’ve been in and around it for over 15 years and have built up a good amount of knowledge. I wrestled at Beech under Coach Roberts and then spent a year at Hendersonville. I started contributing on these here boards when my younger brother was in school, and i’ve just been keeping up with it ever since! Just don’t ask @werazzlin about MatMaster LOL :roflol:

Edited by Bump11

Next is 120!

Favorites: Bryson Terrell (Bradley), Zac Bosken (Cleveland), Russell Ford (Indy)

Bracket Busters: Zach Little (Summit), Chase Smalling (Science Hill), Kennedy Watterson (Dobyns), Jacob Hammond (Beech)

We have 6 former/returning medalists here, but the top of the list consists of Terrell, Ford, and Bosken, who have 5 top 3 finishes between them. My not so bold prediction is that they add 3 more top 3 finishes between them this weekend. Terrell leads the pack as the only state champion, and in my opinion one of the top guys currently in the state P4P. But then it gets interesting. Bosken and Ford are very close, i almost flipped a coin on that matchup. And while we’re talking about that potential matchup, can i just say how much of a shame it is that it will happen in the 2nd round. The consensus #2-3 guys shouldn’t meet before the semis. But that’s a whole different argument involving T$$AA that i won’t get into. 

Beyond those top 3, it’s all about consistency and who can get hot at the right time. There should be a lot of very good matches at this weight, and where the dominos fall will depend heavily on who steps up and wants it more. I saw someone say this in a different thread, and i had a bit of an “ahhhhh mannn” moment because someone beat me to the punch, but Smalling and Watterson have both been sneaky good and i think they can compete with just about anyone, outside of maybe those top 3, but both are freshman and will only get better, and both are names that you will want to remember for the next 3 years. 

Prediction:

1. Bryson Terrell (Bradley)

2. Russell Ford (Indy)

3. Zac Bosken (Cleveland)

4. Trent Houston (Cookeville)

5. Zach Little (Summit)

6. Chase Smalling (Science Hill)

One match away: Kennedy Watterson (Dobyns), Aslan Nadeau (Blackman)

First Round Matches To Watch:

Hammond vs Little, Bouma vs Smalling, Nadeau vs Watterson

Edited by Bump11

126-

Favorites: Jarvis Little (Summit), Bentley Ellison (Cleveland), Hunter Heflin (Arlington)

Bracket Busters: Tyler Hix (Cookeville), Ben Mayberry (Rossview), Coen Lovin (Maryville)

126 is one of the toughest weights to gauge in my opinion. You have 4-5 kids who all have a pretty legitimate shot at winning it all, including 4 returning medalists, and another stud freshman from Kingsport. Throw in Dy, Rubio, Lovin and Barbee..who have all been ranked at some point this season, not to mention any potential sleepers, and all of a sudden you have a “spin the wheel” situation for the bottom half of the podium. For the kids, it will probably be a stressful few days, but for us that get to watch, it’s gonna be a lot of fun! I struggled a lot with placement here. I think i had 3 different potential podiums before i finally settled on something. This weight also gives me deja vu. Last year at 120 lbs…the podium was,

1. Little

2. Heflin

3. Ellison

4. Mercante

could we be seeing the same podium again? Or can Norman, Dy, Rubio, and Co. crash the party? You know what they say, history has a weird way of repeating itself  

Prediction:

1. Jarvis Little (Summit)

2. Hunter Heflin (Arlington)

3. Bentley Ellison (Cleveland)

4. Nick Mercante (Wilson)

5. Titus Norman (Dobyns)

6. Tyler Hix (Cookeville)

One match away: Coen Lovin (Maryville), Ashton Dy (Hendersonville)

First Round Matches To Watch:

Dy vs Rubio, Hix vs Barbee, Hardoin vs Lovin

Full disclosure: Before anyone says anything, yes, i do believe Norman should be 4, ahead of Mercante. But the way the bracket was drawn,  Mercante has a much simpler path to the 3rd place match, while Norman in all likelihood would see Ellison or Heflin in the consolation semis. It’s a tough draw for Titus, but being that he’s only a freshman, i fully believe he will have his time at the top of the podium. 

I’m gonna go ahead and apologize. I totally forgot the tournament started tomorrow and i now realize i started these way too late. I will do everything i can to atleast get predictions for each weight, but i don’t think i will have the time to go in-depth. I’m sorry y’all. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

I’m gonna go ahead and apologize. I totally forgot the tournament started tomorrow and i now realize i started these way too late. I will do everything i can to atleast get predictions for each weight, but i don’t think i will have the time to go in-depth. I’m sorry y’all. 

You are highly appreciated as I watch Chicago PD. Your insight is pretty dang good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

All good Bumpy, we wont mind if you stay up all night giving great insight and making projections for the next 10 weight classes.  In all seriousness, it's good stuff and I enjoy reading them. Great work!!!

• Like 1