TSSAA places entire Lipscomb Academy athletic program on probation due to social media post, school to appeal

SportsTNFan

https://www.mainstreetpreps.com/county/davidson/tssaa-places-entire-lipscomb-academy-athletic-program-on-probation-due-to-social-media-post-school/article_5aff4e9e-b6e0-11ed-a833-97fe9830da9a.html

Based on the article, it looks like LA has self imposed sanctions and looking to appeal on Wednesday.

Edited by SportsTNFan

2 hours ago, SportsTNFan said:

Sounds like an innocent mistake.  I’m betting a teacher that’s proud of their program just grabbed a participant and made the video hoping to promote it.  David Lipscomb must be running a fairly clean ship if that’s what took a fall.  Anybody know what probation even means?  Are they on the watch list?  As if they weren’t already.

• Sad 1

I just don't get this...the school sends out a tweet promoting a program available to anyone, but features a video of a girls basketball player, so it is considered "recruiting" athletes.  Seems like a sufficient response would be to tell them to take it down and make a new video that shows more than just an athlete taking advantage of the program.  Meanwhile at the boarding schools, a whole new crop of rising juniors from Canada announce their "commitments" to these schools over twitter this month and that is totally fine.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

I just don't get this...the school sends out a tweet promoting a program available to anyone, but features a video of a girls basketball player, so it is considered "recruiting" athletes.  Seems like a sufficient response would be to tell them to take it down and make a new video that shows more than just an athlete taking advantage of the program.  Meanwhile at the boarding schools, a whole new crop of rising juniors from Canada announce their "commitments" to these schools over twitter this month and that is totally fine.

Valid points.  I guess my thought is that in the new era of NIL at the high school level are there really any recruiting violations anymore?  They all seam pretty penny ante at this point.  We know at the college level if the program has enough booster NIL money they can buy any player they want and I guess hope that perhaps they can put them on a car commercial and sell more cars.  The most active NIL at the high school level appears to be D1 West Nashville.  I'd be curios if the would open up their books and say they've grown their business by striking NIL deals with TN high school players or have they just found a way to pay players for whatever reason in the name of NIL.  Either way, the athletes at all levels work very hard, pour money into their craft and have built a marketable asset.  The sooner they can get compensated for it the better in my mind.  The portal is seeming to have a bigger impact than NIL at the next level anyway.

1 hour ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Valid points.  I guess my thought is that in the new era of NIL at the high school level are there really any recruiting violations anymore?  They all seam pretty penny ante at this point.  We know at the college level if the program has enough booster NIL money they can buy any player they want and I guess hope that perhaps they can put them on a car commercial and sell more cars.  The most active NIL at the high school level appears to be D1 West Nashville.  I'd be curios if the would open up their books and say they've grown their business by striking NIL deals with TN high school players or have they just found a way to pay players for whatever reason in the name of NIL.  Either way, the athletes at all levels work very hard, pour money into their craft and have built a marketable asset.  The sooner they can get compensated for it the better in my mind.  The portal is seeming to have a bigger impact than NIL at the next level anyway.

I think this is nothing more than D1 giving some free training with the idea that if those athletes ever make it big, they could claim them.  Also, other high school athletes may decide to go there because of it.    They really don't have that much to lose.  I don't think they are making payments to these athletes but they could be.

The TSSAA is worried about something like this, yet The University of Webb (Webb Bell Buckle) is allowed to make an absolute mockery of the girls D2 A basketball tournament and season.  The Feet have only two players from the state of Tennessee on their roster. They feature a lineup of national and international players.  They have won 3 games by forfeit this season cause two schools did not want their teams to be humiliated with the inevitable beat down.

It should raise all sorts of red flags in the TSSAA office when a team has a record of 4-17 during the  2019-20 seasons and is now on the verge of their 3rd straight D2A championship. Webb has gone 89-12 over the last 3 seasons and has lost only 3 games during that time to in state opponants. Webb has not lost to an in state opponant in almost 2 full seasons.

Yes, red flags should be raised all over the TSSAA office concerning the U of Webb. Still, the TSSAA is instead worried about a tweet from Lipscomb. How typical.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone. I would however be willing to bet the farm that my opinion is also how many schools, coaches, and fans feel if the truth be known.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

As boarding schools - Baylor, McCallie, Webb Bell Buckle, etc - are able to have national and international student bodies. Unless they are giving financial aid beyond a family's demonstrated need (typically through a 3rd party service), they aren't doing anything wrong and those student-athletes are eligible to play in TSSAA sports. I am aware of situations in Florida where the FHSAA routinely asked schools to provide documentation regarding a FA award. I am not aware of the TSSAA making similar requests but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

In regards to Lipscomb, I actually feel badly for their athletic department because it was an Admissions or Marketing staff member that approved and posted that post on the school's (not a team's) social media account.  And considering the discussed fine of $1,000, the school and the program the post marketed got their money's worth in "free" advertising. 

• Like 1