Coaching Changes

maddams

5 hours ago, LionPride1981 said:

Parent here of a freshman at Camden,

So I’ve been holding this in awhile because myself and many of the other parents didn’t want to see the coach get fired, I know the coach had a TikTok that came out over a year ago that he got some heat from (which I saw it and personally thought it was hilarious.) He addressed that when he was hired which I know was embarrassing for him to do but he owned it and worked really hard while he was here. My daughter loved him, as did the team, and we hated the decision for him to be let go. I won’t go into details of the Snapchat post that got him fired, however, I saw it personally with my own eyes and he should not have been fired over it. I get that it wasn’t a good look to be accused of what someone was trying to say it was in the video but you couldn’t tell a thing. This young guy’s coaching career is now tarnished because of it. Was he a good coach? I think he was a perfect fit for Central and you could see the positive direction they were going in. Was it a bad look? Yes. Did he deserve to get the boot? I don’t think so. I can’t believe there wasn’t more of an investigation into this. From my understanding when it surfaced, they just let him go. We met with the superintendent the following day after they let him go, and he would not answer any questions regarding the coach or the situation. Anytime any one of us would ask a question, the response was “we’re not going to talk about it, the decision is final”  

Myself and others in Benton County think he was made an example out of due to another situation in the spring not being handled correctly with a teacher and coach being accused of having sex with an underage boy. In that situation, the teacher was allowed to come back and finish the school year, and people were pretty upset over that decision.

We have a dad group to where we all communicate, and since then, the original video was shared on there by one of the other parents (not the video that went around) and you can tell that what’s in the video is not what he was fired for. To be more specific people said it was his genitals in the video that went around before and in the original video you can tell clearly that it’s not his genitals in the video. I hate it for the guy because I think he was going to do great things here and he cared about the girls. It’s very unfortunate, but social media is a very different animal. I hope he can bounce back and would welcome him back here to Camden.

I don't have the knowledge nor the concern to debate the fine points. My black and gold Lion avatar/moniker may have led you to believe that I have some personal interest at Camden, but not so. My work has afforded me some good friends all over this end of the state, and I have a couple from there...one of them told me that he'd seen the video, and that "it started at the top of his head and went to his feet with his genitalia in plain sight". I didn't choose to share that, just alluded to the fact that the problem was similar to the other situation being discussed.

Bottom line is that adults mixing socially with students in any form is a red flag, and no matter whether it was simply borderline or worse, the implied intent can't be explained away. "Good guys" don't find themselves in situations where they have to explain why they shared a video of themselves with young girls very often.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I don't have the knowledge nor the concern to debate the fine points. My black and gold Lion avatar/moniker may have led you to believe that I have some personal interest at Camden, but not so. My work has afforded me some good friends all over this end of the state, and I have a couple from there...one of them told me that he'd seen the video, and that "it started at the top of his head and went to his feet with his genitalia in plain sight". I didn't choose to share that, just alluded to the fact that the problem was similar to the other situation being discussed.

Bottom line is that adults mixing socially with students in any form is a red flag, and no matter whether it was simply borderline or worse, the implied intent can't be explained away. "Good guys" don't find themselves in situations where they have to explain why they shared a video of themselves with young girls very often.

It definitely was not a good look, and him explaining the TikTok to us of him reading a song lyric was a little much even though it was funny to alot of us, but the video that went around was a recording of a phone playing the video and the quality was not good enough to tell anything. Your friends should see the original, it would make everyone sick to their stomachs about the firing of this guy, since he was not exposed. Maybe it was done a little too quick, regardless, you shouldn’t put yourself in that situation. 

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

What's wrong with a coach having a tiktok account? It isn't in the rules that the can't have a social.media

19 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I lived in Murfreesboro for several years and I can remember teachers there wouldn't even let a picture be taken of them period or hardly a camera out anywhere in fear of it being put out on Facebook or social media. 

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

I lived in Murfreesboro for several years and I can remember teachers there wouldn't even let a picture be taken of them period or hardly a camera out anywhere in fear of it being put out on Facebook or social media. 

The masses can't live out their lives in a "normal" fashion because of the few who drive social perception. You've got people (very few) on one extreme who at best cross lines of acceptable behavior through horrible judgment and at worst prey on the underaged and very easily influenced students, and on the other extreme you have zealots just waiting for an opportunity to either play the victim or to be the hero that exposes some monster, when in reality there's nothing there but human interaction.

It's a shame that people (especially teachers) can't just be themselves without always having their guard up, but that's the world as it is now. 

14 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

The masses can't live out their lives in a "normal" fashion because of the few who drive social perception. You've got people (very few) on one extreme who at best cross lines of acceptable behavior through horrible judgment and at worst prey on the underaged and very easily influenced students, and on the other extreme you have zealots just waiting for an opportunity to either play the victim or to be the hero that exposes some monster, when in reality there's nothing there but human interaction.

It's a shame that people (especially teachers) can't just be themselves without always having their guard up, but that's the world as it is now. 

And on top of all that I have seen places in West Tennessee that fires a coach because they didn't play "The right" kids...

My hat goes off to all the teachers and coaches.. 

Under paid, over worked and in most cases, under appreciated.

• Upvote 1

I'm in year 17 of teaching. I've taught and coached at in a small K-12 school in West TN, in a foreign public school system, the Dept. of Defense, on the Navajo Nation, in Memphis, and the Suburbs. It's all the same every where. Kids are the same and so are parents. There are all kinds of misunderstandings. It rarely works out in the teachers favor unless there is a pile of irrefutable evidence in favor of the teacher. No matter what you hear about teacher/coach shortages districts will let people go if it puts the district in a bad light or a threat of litigation.

I don't do anything other than shake students hands. I don't report female students for dress code violations, hug, horse play, or touch students or colleagues at any point. This has caused me to seem cold and callus to some students and I have to work a bit harder when I'm building relationships. However, in today's world I think I'm doing the right thing by me and my career. 

I see teachers hug and fraternize with high school kids more than I think any non-related adult should. I'm not a fan of young 20 something females teaching in high schools. High school kids are immature and mob mentality can take over.

Teachers and coaches need to assume what they say and do at school is being recorded or on video. Teachers and coaches should not be communicating with students or posting things on social media that can be construed in ANYWAY inappropriate if they want to not have that hang over their head or leave a mark on their reputation.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

I'm in year 17 of teaching. I've taught and coached at in a small K-12 school in West TN, in a foreign public school system, the Dept. of Defense, on the Navajo Nation, in Memphis, and the Suburbs. It's all the same every where. Kids are the same and so are parents. There are all kinds of misunderstandings. It rarely works out in the teachers favor unless there is a pile of irrefutable evidence in favor of the teacher. No matter what you hear about teacher/coach shortages districts will let people go if it puts the district in a bad light or a threat of litigation.

I don't do anything other than shake students hands. I don't report female students for dress code violations, hug, horse play, or touch students or colleagues at any point. This has caused me to seem cold and callus to some students and I have to work a bit harder when I'm building relationships. However, in today's world I think I'm doing the right thing by me and my career. 

I see teachers hug and fraternize with high school kids more than I think any non-related adult should. I'm not a fan of young 20 something females teaching in high schools. High school kids are immature and mob mentality can take over.

Teachers and coaches need to assume what they say and do at school is being recorded or on video. Teachers and coaches should not be communicating with students or posting things on social media that can be construed in ANYWAY inappropriate if they want to not have that hang over their head or leave a mark on their reputation.

Sad, but oh so true...every word.

EDIT

Teaching is a thankless job...so, from the bottom of my heart...THANK YOU!

Edited by tradertwo

12 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Having an account is fine, sending nude pictures to a minor through it...not so much.

From my understanding it was posted to the coach’s Snapchat story after midnight and was deleted after a few minutes. So I’m not sure if it was distributed to minors. I think it got into the hands of someone who sent it out to students, parents, and all but not from the coach directly. Seems to be some bad blood with his hometown school. Maybe they didn’t like that he was leaving?

The TikTok was just him reading some lyrics from a song from the 90s that came out when I was in college. It was actually really funny in my opinion. 

Edited by LionPride1981

Just now, LionPride1981 said:

From my understanding it was posted to the coach’s story after midnight and was deleted after a few minutes. So I’m not sure if it was distributed to minors. I think it got into the hands of someone who sent it out to students, parents, and all but not from the coach directly. Seems to be some bad blood with his hometown school. Maybe they didn’t like that he was leaving?

Take some advice and let it go.

He posted it. 

It was not appropriate.

Everyone has an explanation or excuse, especially the guilty.

I don't know and I don't care...

Last, but not least...second or third attempt to (sort of) deflect blame and make excuses while admitting that he DID in fact do it isn't a good look unless you're him with all your 3 posts.

P.S. I really don't know, and I really don't care.

Take some advice and let it go.

He posted it. 

It was not appropriate.

Everyone has an explanation or excuse, especially the guilty.

I don't know and I don't care...

Last, but not least...second or third attempt to (sort of) deflect blame and make excuses while admitting that he DID in fact do it isn't a good look unless you're him with all your 3 posts.

P.S. I really don't know, and I really don't care.

Yeah he is the coach of young teenage ladies too. Being honest about it I wouldn't feel comfortable sending stuff like that to just someone I was in a relationship with individually. Never know what might happen on the next full moon. Sounds like he was quitting I guess but they made sure of it sounds like.