Is RUCO football overrated?

20 minutes ago, watermaker said:

Rings on fingers don't lie !

Rings on fingers and each losing team gets a trophy also for being the best two teams out of a 50-55 team competition sure beats being voted the best team in the state over all teams by newspaper writers. Why didn't they think about that back in 1964.

Depends on who is doing the "rating".  

From the outside looking in it appears that RUCO football is Oakland as the King Daddy and then everybody else, and everybody else aren't all that good.  

But that's a credit to Oakland, who continues to attract the top talent in RUCO.  

35 minutes ago, HTV said:

Depends on who is doing the "rating".  

From the outside looking in it appears that RUCO football is Oakland as the King Daddy and then everybody else, and everybody else aren't all that good.  

But that's a credit to Oakland, who continues to attract the top talent in RUCO.  

I did a quick look at last year and their district was 22-8 versus out of district and 7-3 in the playoffs.  I think that's pretty good.  obviously oakland is at the top but blackman made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.  their worst team was 5-0 out of district (3 bad teams) but beat lebanon (2nd in 6A region 3) and green hill (2nd in 5A region 5).

for comparison, 6A region 2 was 20-10 out of district and 5-4 in the playoffs.  

would be interesting to look at a longer term comparison but if there is an easy way to see those stats, I missed it.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, howdoitknow said:

The season is just over 10 weeks away and I'm already living rent free in your head.  Keep making up fake accomplishments to feel like the second best team in your own county.  Keep living in the past.  I own you and Oakland owns your team.  Loser.

You're a weird little man. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

I haven't seen a lot of chest bumping for RuCo, but top to bottom its been solid as it has been in the last decade. Just because Oakland makes it look east doesn't mean it is

no one has responded to my post that points out ruco was probably the best 6A division last year.  glad you're back by the way!

On 6/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, theawesomebro said:

I did a quick look at last year and their district was 22-8 versus out of district and 7-3 in the playoffs.  I think that's pretty good.  obviously oakland is at the top but blackman made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs.  their worst team was 5-0 out of district (3 bad teams) but beat lebanon (2nd in 6A region 3) and green hill (2nd in 5A region 5).

for comparison, 6A region 2 was 20-10 out of district and 5-4 in the playoffs.  

would be interesting to look at a longer term comparison but if there is an easy way to see those stats, I missed it.

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

no one has responded to my post that points out ruco was probably the best 6A division last year.  glad you're back by the way!

Your numbers aren't wrong but i would look more in depth of things than strictly wins and losses and more of who the teams played.  Region 4a split with Region 3a in the first round of the playoffs going 2-2 where Region 2 was 3-1 against Region 1. So does that make region 3a up there with region 4a since they split down the middle first round?

You mentioned out of district losses for region 2 as 20-10 but who did those teams play?  Out of those 10 losses they came against Knox West the 5a state champs (Beat Maryville, Bearden, and Farragut), Alcoa the 3a Champs (beat Maryville), Anderson County the 4a champs (beat Bearden). You also had Farragut that beat Beech last year who ended up making it out of the west side of the bracket where Farragut didn't make it out of the 2nd round.  In my opinion the out of district games in Region 2a were tougher than region 4. (5 of those 10 losses came against State Champs).

I'm not willing to say Ruco is the best 6a conference but will say Oakland is the best team by leaps and bounds.

55 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Your numbers aren't wrong but i would look more in depth of things than strictly wins and losses and more of who the teams played.  Region 4a split with Region 3a in the first round of the playoffs going 2-2 where Region 2 was 3-1 against Region 1. So does that make region 3a up there with region 4a since they split down the middle first round?

You mentioned out of district losses for region 2 as 20-10 but who did those teams play?  Out of those 10 losses they came against Knox West the 5a state champs (Beat Maryville, Bearden, and Farragut), Alcoa the 3a Champs (beat Maryville), Anderson County the 4a champs (beat Bearden). You also had Farragut that beat Beech last year who ended up making it out of the west side of the bracket where Farragut didn't make it out of the 2nd round.  In my opinion the out of district games in Region 2a were tougher than region 4. (5 of those 10 losses came against State Champs).

I'm not willing to say Ruco is the best 6a conference but will say Oakland is the best team by leaps and bounds.

thanks for the response.  I think those are great points.  some of the out of district losses for region 3 were against strong teams as well (east nash, CPA, smyrna x2). 

I guess it goes back to the original question...is ruco football overrated but compared to what?  they won the most out of district games, playoff games and the overall championship.  once again, I appreciate the detailed, thoughtful response.  loved seeing your perspective on it.

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

thanks for the response.  I think those are great points.  some of the out of district losses for region 3 were against strong teams as well (east nash, CPA, smyrna x2). 

I guess it goes back to the original question...is ruco football overrated but compared to what?  they won the most out of district games, playoff games and the overall championship.  once again, I appreciate the detailed, thoughtful response.  loved seeing your perspective on it.

I always love hearing your perspective too and your always knowledgable about the game.  I don't think they are overrated per say and feel Region 4 and Region 2 would go #### for tat if facing each other with their top 4 teams.  Both are the best 2 Regions in 6a in my opinion

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

I always love hearing your perspective too and your always knowledgable about the game.  I don't think they are overrated per say and feel Region 4 and Region 2 would go #### for tat if facing each other with their top 4 teams.  Both are the best 2 Regions in 6a in my opinion

thanks!  I hope more teams will play out of their area so we actually see the outcome on the field.  looking forward to alcoa/ravenwood!

I have a follow up request...rank the 6A regions based on last year.  is it different for the last 5 years?