TN All Time Team

WrestlingGod

Bored at work today and took inspiration from a thread on the intermat forums. 

Here is my pick for the TN All Star team. Best of all time. Please tell me how awful some of my picks are. 

125- Randy Batten (UTC - 118lb) - 3x NCAA Div 2 national champion before Mocs move to D1

133- Matt Keller (UTC) - Ncaa AA

141- Cody Cleveland (UTC) - Ncaa AA

149- Phillip Simpson (West Point) - 3x AA, 2005 NCAA finalist

157- Jordan Leen (Cornell) - 2008 Ncaa champ

165- Nick Marable (Missouri) - 2x AA 

174- open to suggestions...

184- Charles McTorry (Nebraska) - Sr national champ, promising career at UNL but injuries took him out of wrestling

197- Bill Harlow (Oklahoma State -190lb) - 3x ncaa finalist and 1966 NCAA champ 

285- Nick Boykin (Ohio State) - Double Fargo champ at Hwt. On the Ohio St roster but primarily wrestles Greco on the World team. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

Here is my pick for the TN All Star team. Best of all time. Please tell me how awful some of my picks are. 

125- Randy Batten (UTC - 118lb) - 3x NCAA Div 2 national champion before Mocs move to D1

184- Charles McTorry (Nebraska) - Sr national champ, promising career at UNL but injuries took him out of wrestling

285- Nick Boykin (Ohio State) - Double Fargo champ at Hwt. On the Ohio St roster but primarily wrestles Greco on the World team. 

Great list, gives good perspective of some of the history in TN!

8 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

Well done!

Can we pencil in Bill Harlow for 174.......what's 3 pounds.....he is from Sewanee, Tennessee....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Harlow_(wrestler)

Edit.....I feel stupid now.....I don't how I missed him at 197......

Edit #2......ok.....so we slide Harlow to 174....since he was at 177.......and put my old high school buddy in at 197........he was at 190.....4 time SoCon champ Pat Murphy.  (I know.....I know...I'm still stupid)

Edited by RMC
  • Thanks 1

A little Tidbit worth noting ...

NICK MARABLE NAMED USA WRESTLING ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

By Craig Sesker USA Wrestling | Feb. 18, 2014, 1:58 p.m. (ET)

NickMarableParis300x250.jpg?la=en&hash=4Nick Marable (Columbia, Mo./Sunkist Kids) has been named TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week.

Each week, TheMat.com will select an Athlete of the Week, based upon performance within wrestling for that week. The selection committee will consider any level of wrestling, from youth programs through the Senior level.  

Marable captured a gold medal at the Yasar Dogu International in freestyle wrestling on Saturday in Istanbul, Turkey.

Marable edged Morteza Rezae Ghaleh of Iran 4-3 in the finals at 74 kg/163 lbs. Trailing 3-2 in the second period, Marable scored the winning takedown late in the period.

Marable defeated 2012 Olympic champion and two-time World champion Jordan Burroughs in the quarterfinals. Burroughs led 1-0 after one period, but Marable scored two takedowns in the second period. A Burroughs pushout and late takedown tied the match at 4-4, but Marable won by criteria decision.

The Marable victory snapped Burroughs’ win streak at 69 matches. It was the first loss for Burroughs on the Senior level.

In the semifinals, Marable defeated Batuhan Demircin of Turkey 6-3 to reach the finals, Marable won five matches on the way to the gold. 

It was Marable’s second straight international gold medal, after winning a title at the Grand Prix of Paris earlier this month. He also won a title at the New York AC International this season.  

Marable, an All-American for Missouri, placed third at the 2013 U.S. Open.

Note: To nominate a wrestler for TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week, send the athlete's name, accomplishments for the week and career accomplishments to Craig Sesker at csesker@usawrestling.org

5 minutes ago, soms2 said:

A little Tidbit worth noting ...

NICK MARABLE NAMED USA WRESTLING ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

By Craig Sesker USA Wrestling | Feb. 18, 2014, 1:58 p.m. (ET)

NickMarableParis300x250.jpg?la=en&hash=4Nick Marable (Columbia, Mo./Sunkist Kids) has been named TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week.

Each week, TheMat.com will select an Athlete of the Week, based upon performance within wrestling for that week. The selection committee will consider any level of wrestling, from youth programs through the Senior level.  

Marable captured a gold medal at the Yasar Dogu International in freestyle wrestling on Saturday in Istanbul, Turkey.

Marable edged Morteza Rezae Ghaleh of Iran 4-3 in the finals at 74 kg/163 lbs. Trailing 3-2 in the second period, Marable scored the winning takedown late in the period.

Marable defeated 2012 Olympic champion and two-time World champion Jordan Burroughs in the quarterfinals. Burroughs led 1-0 after one period, but Marable scored two takedowns in the second period. A Burroughs pushout and late takedown tied the match at 4-4, but Marable won by criteria decision.

The Marable victory snapped Burroughs’ win streak at 69 matches. It was the first loss for Burroughs on the Senior level.

In the semifinals, Marable defeated Batuhan Demircin of Turkey 6-3 to reach the finals, Marable won five matches on the way to the gold. 

It was Marable’s second straight international gold medal, after winning a title at the Grand Prix of Paris earlier this month. He also won a title at the New York AC International this season.  

Marable, an All-American for Missouri, placed third at the 2013 U.S. Open.

Note: To nominate a wrestler for TheMat.com Wrestler of the Week, send the athlete's name, accomplishments for the week and career accomplishments to Craig Sesker at csesker@usawrestling.org

Was he the last d1 AA from TN?  I thought someone said 15 years ago but he was an AA 14 years ago.  Cool to hear about guys like him.  I didn’t really know too much about past history of TN wrestlers until this post.

9 hours ago, Newuser125 said:

Was he the last d1 AA from TN?  I thought someone said 15 years ago but he was an AA 14 years ago.  Cool to hear about guys like him.  I didn’t really know too much about past history of TN wrestlers until this post.

He AA'd in 2008. 

2023 - 2008 = 15 

When I said d1 aa from TN i was more referring to UTC. The last AA from UTC was Cody Cleveland, and he medaled in 2008, also 15 years ago. 

• 1 month later...

2000-2008… some great years for TN wrestling 

———————-

RMC, What’s the George’s dream team of all time? 

Edited by soms2