TSSAA D2 success factor

theawesomebro

17 minutes ago, URSUS said:

Interesting that other privates are calling for this.  There is a divide between boarding and non-boarding schools in Div. 2

There are several reasons there is a divide between the boarding schools and non boarding schools:

1.  Kids that are going to boarding schools to play football only to leave and go back home the Monday after winning a state championship

2. You are allowed to already have an athletic record established and transfer to a boarding school and you are eligible immediately. 

3.  Boarding schools do not have to develop a roster but merely recruit a new roster every season.

They could just simplify everything and do European soccer style promotion and relegation. Top 10% of teams move up, bottom 10% move down every year. Could do this with all classes and schools together. Winning the biggest trophy brings the most prestige. Obviously this will never happen, but it’s a proven competitive model across multiple sports and countries. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 3:30 PM, Indian said:

How you you figure in transfers when a transfer may have moved on by the time the new classification takes effect?

Same way you figure enrollment. That enrollment isn’t the same when the new class takes effect. Why not do transfers the same way?  I think that these numbers should be a three year average prior to the new class taking effect. That would be more realistic and fair in my opinion. 

On 6/9/2023 at 5:01 AM, theawesomebro said:

appreciate the feedback.  what's the % in indiana?  to play devil's advocate, im not sure 10% is huge but I think the same team winning over and over is boring and not great for the sport/division.  everyone wants a shot at some point.

I think that if you reach the state finals 2 years in a row that you are bumped up in class during the next classification period. Don't quote me on that though.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

maybe a committee made up of all the members of coacht?

Bumping a team up is easy but deciding who can go back down isn’t. If state championships are the measure for bumping up then what level of lack of success lowers a school? Do they bump up or down in all sports?

IMO this is why it’s a very bad model. It’s too difficult for teams to be lowered in classifications. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 7:10 AM, Playerscoach said:

Bumping a team up is easy but deciding who can go back down isn’t. If state championships are the measure for bumping up then what level of lack of success lowers a school? Do they bump up or down in all sports?

IMO this is why it’s a very bad model. It’s too difficult for teams to be lowered in classifications. 

Hopefully this sheds more light on Indiana’s system. 
https://legacy.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

I remember talking to the Cathedral folks about this. They were moved up from 4A to 5A when we played them. They are now in 6A because of the success factor. You can only move up one classification ever 2 years with their system. 

2 hours ago, Rhea Co. said:

Hopefully this sheds more light on Indiana’s system. 
https://legacy.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

I remember talking to the Cathedral folks about this. They were moved up from 4A to 5A when we played them. They are now in 6A because of the success factor. You can only move up one classification ever 2 years with their system. 

Thanks for researching this. It is more complicated than I remember. I am still 100% against this. However,  if the TSSAA is foolish enough to impliment this, it must apply to public schools as well.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, cbg said:

There are several reasons there is a divide between the boarding schools and non boarding schools:

1.  Kids that are going to boarding schools to play football only to leave and go back home the Monday after winning a state championship

2. You are allowed to already have an athletic record established and transfer to a boarding school and you are eligible immediately. 

3.  Boarding schools do not have to develop a roster but merely recruit a new roster every season.

Non-boarding privates get around this, just staying with an unofficial host family on weeknights.