Lack of Sports coverage for West Tn

Sherdog

It’s not like we have our own football channel. We have great people that volunteers their time like 615 Preps. I’m sure they make a little money but probably not much. Just guys that started a gig together because they love High School football. If you want coverage you can get coverage 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Sherdog said:

Tons of exposure for middle and east TN but very little for the rural teams in west tn. No podcast and until season starts very little information coming out of west tn.

Speaking on middle TN we felt like that years ago when we only heard about Memphis and East TN schools. Most of the coverage starts out as someone volunteering and going out and starting their own. Maybe you might be the solution to y’all’s problems. 

Edited by FBfan26
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, FBfan26 said:

Speaking on middle TN we felt like that years ago when we only heard about Memphis and East TN schools. Most of the coverage starts out as someone volunteering and going out and starting their own. Maybe you might be the solution to y’all’s problems. 

it's probably cyclical anyway.  west TN football just isn't on top at the moment but in 5 years, who knows?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

it's probably cyclical anyway.  west TN football just isn't on top at the moment but in 5 years, who knows?

There's just not alot of media out in West TN. Memphis is gonna get most of the traditional press coverage, regardless if they're good or not. Like someone else said, if you want coverage create coverage. Middle TN has alot of coverage, but it's not lucrative to cover HS football. 

Mike Molder (God rest his soul) had a great show but he did that just because he loved HS Football

• Upvote 1

I have thought about doing this a couple of times.  My buddy Jim Steele does a show out of Camden but it is geared more toward sports in general.  He does get heavily into high school football during the season.  Robin Cude does a good job with Sports Beat as well. 

2 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

I have thought about doing this a couple of times.  My buddy Jim Steele does a show out of Camden but it is geared more toward sports in general.  He does get heavily into high school football during the season.  Robin Cude does a good job with Sports Beat as well. 

Go for it! I’d probably listen if it was available online. Out East we don’t know much of anything about the west other than box scores. I’d like to tune in to a 1A/2A podcast or broadcast about the west of Nashville programs. 

To my knowledge, these are the only schools in West Tennessee  who DO NOT have free streaming video or radio coverage of their games on a regular (weekly) basis in season. Adamsville, Fayette-Ware,  Gibson County, Middleton, Lake County, South Fulton, Halls, Fayett Academy,  Chester County, and Sacred Heart. I could not tell you for sure about Brighton or Munford but I think at least one has weekly coverage.. Two of the schools on my list,  Chester County and Fayette Academy,  have PPV video coverage of home games. At this time, it is my understanding that two radio groups in Jackson will cover Jackson's 4  public schools.  To my knowledge, all other schools in West Tennessee have weekly free streaming or radio coverage. At least six radio stations that I am aware of  in West Tennessee have either weekly or daily call in shows that will deal with local sports. I also did a small weekly show dealing with high school football last year on West Tennessee Sports on Facebook that I most likely wont do this season as I will be videostreaming 3 games per week in season. 

High school football coverage in West Tennessee is pretty good in my opinion. I'd  be willing to bet that neither the middle or eastern parts of Tennessee have as many schools that have their games broadcast in season as those schools in West Tennessee via either free video streaming or radio.

• Upvote 1

Whenever the Jackson Sun got bought out by Gannet News Service sports in West Tenn went down fast. They didn’t want the coverage they did then. All they wanted was interesting stories like that involved a death or comeback from an injury. Notice the reporters there then aren’t now. They jumped ship and rightly so