Maryville\Alcoa, Still Biggest Rivalry in Tennessee?

3 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I always figured it was probably newer than that. Most HS in Middle TN that have been in existence that long are on their second building or made major renovations

When Maryville moved up the street to the old Maryville Polytechnic building there was another building on the backside of it which had class room on the second floor or main floor and the basketball gym was on the upstairs and a swimming pool in the basement. That building stood until 1981 and it was where the practice field is now. The old Polytechnic building was taken down soon as they completed the new high school built in 1938 which is still there on the backside of the visitor stands. Plans are to tear it down when they build the new wing I understand. Wish they could keep those buildings because the brick work was done by professionals that can't be matched in todays building trades especially when they hire the lowest bidder. 

21 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Looks like the Rockwood Alumni Association failed you.

"The Alcoa High School and Maryville High School football game is considered the longest consecutive rivalry series in the country. The two schools have been competing against each other since 1921, and they have played each other every year ever since, making it a continuous rivalry."

No I think your source is letting you down ........ 1921 to 2023 is 102 years .......yet you've only played 95 0r 96 games....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_high_school_football_rivalries_less_than_100_years_old

according to this your first game was in 1927

https://www.wbir.com/article/sports/preps/vote-alcoa-vs-maryville-up-for-best-rivalry-in-us/51-95435264

also list the rivalry starting in 1927

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, JSamson7 said:

Looks like the Rockwood Alumni Association failed you.

"The Alcoa High School and Maryville High School football game is considered the longest consecutive rivalry series in the country. The two schools have been competing against each other since 1921, and they have played each other every year ever since, making it a continuous rivalry."

Alcoa’s own website says their first year was 1924: https://4.files.edl.io/4a0b/01/13/22/180807-213a294c-7ee2-4508-9332-215a94e800bd.xlsx

On 7/3/2023 at 8:16 PM, theawesomebro said:

I guess I would be curious what the criteria is for "biggest rivalry"?  most heated?  longest running?  largest crowd?  best back and forth?  seems like everyone has a different take on "biggest".  : )

the LA/CPA games of the last few years have been very heated with some bad blood and poor sportsmanship on both sides but it's not been that way for long and now it's over for the time being.  both stadiums have been packed to capacity for the last 3 years.  series record is LA 7 wins, CPA 8 wins, so pretty close.

it seems like the Maryville/Alcoa rivalry has lasted a long time (94 games) with good teams, big crowds and a bit of smack talk.  I think it has been better with alcoa winning a couple (2018, 2022 I think) since it is mostly pretty one sided ( maryville 64 wins, alcoa 26 wins, 4 draws).  but I also think the record probably doesn't do it justice.  my money is on this one.

Bradley and McMinn County played the 100th game this year, 2nd in longevity in the state now. Played continuously since 1926 with 3 seasons having 2 games played, meeting in back-to-back weeks a few years ago in the regular season then playoffs. It has been known to be pretty heated at times too.

I will put the Bradley - Cleveland rivalry up against anyone's. No matter what it's heated. They stopped playing for 10 years because it got TOO heated. Bradley has an 8-game streak going now. Series record, if I remember correctly, is 21-27-0 in favor of Cleveland. but it pretty much has always been streaky with one team piling up wins then the other.

I agree with the ones mentioning Baylor - McCallie as a rivalry to watch. I had tried to go see it when played at Finley but the timing didn't work out.

South Pitt - Marion County was great as well. Going to a game in South Pittsburg is an event.

1 hour ago, alt1958b said:

Bradley and McMinn County played the 100th game this year, 2nd in longevity in the state now. Played continuously since 1926 with 3 seasons having 2 games played, meeting in back-to-back weeks a few years ago in the regular season then playoffs. It has been known to be pretty heated at times too.

I will put the Bradley - Cleveland rivalry up against anyone's. No matter what it's heated. They stopped playing for 10 years because it got TOO heated. Bradley has an 8-game streak going now. Series record, if I remember correctly, is 21-27-0 in favor of Cleveland. but it pretty much has always been streaky with one team piling up wins then the other.

I agree with the ones mentioning Baylor - McCallie as a rivalry to watch. I had tried to go see it when played at Finley but the timing didn't work out.

South Pitt - Marion County was great as well. Going to a game in South Pittsburg is an event.

Great post. I need to watch a game at South Pitt. Do they have a good team this year?

Murvil/alco is most often a BIG crowd with two great teams whose families often know each other and/or players are related. It really feels like the last of the good clean rivalries, but I realize there are some others.

Just now, strongx said:

Great post. I need to watch a game at South Pitt. Do they have a good team this year?

Murvil/alco is most often a BIG crowd with two great teams whose families often know each other and/or players are related. It really feels like the last of the good clean rivalries, but I realize there are some others.

Pretty sure SP is 3-0 right now. They have been good for many years now. I told my dad just the other day that they’re basically the Alcoa of 1A. Of course, don’t have near as many titles, but pretty darn dominant for many years. I remember Trousdale County was also for the longest, but I just don’t hear much out of them anymore.

17 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Pretty sure SP is 3-0 right now. They have been good for many years now. I told my dad just the other day that they’re basically the Alcoa of 1A. Of course, don’t have near as many titles, but pretty darn dominant for many years. I remember Trousdale County was also for the longest, but I just don’t hear much out of them anymore.

South Pitt is also the only team that I'm aware of that has made it to the title game of every decade in the playoff era

14 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

South Pitt is also the only team that I'm aware of that has made it to the title game of every decade in the playoff era

Doesn’t surprise me a bit. I follow Coalfield a lot because they’re a really small town near OR and usually very solid……till they run in to SP, and it comes to an abrupt end.

Edited by SweetScience