Best Rivalries in 1A/2A??

TheWacoKid

In the process of putting together a series of short documentaries highlighting rivalry Games in Tennessee. If y’all have any suggestions for great rivalries, I’d love to hear them! Why they exist, what makes them great, how it started, etc. going to use these suggestions as a starting point to decide which games I will be doing first. Thanks!

2 hours ago, TheWacoKid said:

In the process of putting together a series of short documentaries highlighting rivalry Games in Tennessee. If y’all have any suggestions for great rivalries, I’d love to hear them! Why they exist, what makes them great, how it started, etc. going to use these suggestions as a starting point to decide which games I will be doing first. Thanks!

Jo Byrns vs East Robertson (match in the patch) called match in the patch because both cities Cross Plains and Adams where their schools reside are both known as two of the biggest Tobacco producers in the world per capita. ER is on a current win streak of 5 but Jo Byrns had a win streak of 17.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chiefbigfoot said:

Jo Byrns vs East Robertson (match in the patch) called match in the patch because both cities Cross Plains and Adams where their schools reside are both known as two of the biggest Tobacco producers in the world per capita. ER is on a current win streak of 5 but Jo Byrns had a win streak of 17.

Love the Rivalry name, had no clue

• Upvote 1

McKenzie Rebels vs Huntingdon Mustangs. Imo it's one of the best HS football rivalrys. This rivalry has been going on for years, and it's a cross county rivalry. This year's game will be as big as years past. It will be a great game, Go Rebels!!!

Edited by RedRebelman
Misspelled a word.

43 minutes ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I'm not a fan of any of those team but in my opinion Milan/Huntingdon is the better rivalry. The Dawg and Pony Show

Absolutely bigger to those outside looking in. Peabody/Milan may have had higher stakes for the last few years, but everyone on the western side of the state knows the "hate" between the Dawgs & Stangs goes back generations.

19 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Absolutely bigger to those outside looking in. Peabody/Milan may have had higher stakes for the last few years, but everyone on the western side of the state knows the "hate" between the Dawgs & Stangs goes back generations.

But is it a "rivalry" to the athletes on the field? In my opinion, no.

Last 5 matchups between Huntingdon/Milan

2018: Huntingdon won 44-29

2019: Huntingdon won 40-39

2020: Milan won 49-20

2021: Huntingdon won 63-33

2022: Huntingdon won 42-21

Point being, since 2010, there's only been 3 Huntingdon/Milan games that finished with a one possession score. Two games by 1 point, and one game by 8 points. In that same time span, we had several games decided by 27 points or more, and one game decided by a final score of 62-18.

Due to geographical reasons, this isn't a rivalry anymore in my eyes. Huntingdon's rival is McKenzie. I imagine the players hang out with each other at the local sonic or Walmart parking lot. They got nothing else to do. If you ask the Huntingdon players today, who would they rather beat: McKenzie or Milan? They'll likely say McKenzie. 

You can make the same argument for Milan football players as they have South Gibson on their hands. With the game being on a Thursday night to open up the season, that game will mean more for Milan players than the Huntingdon/Milan game. 

Four of the last five South Gibson/Milan games have finished with a point differential of 5 points or less.

I know this was a rivalry in the past, but things have changed. The on field performance/results isn't there. In addition, you add a school down the street in South Gibson. You have a McKenzie team also has went to Chattanooga in the last two years. 

28 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

But is it a "rivalry" to the athletes on the field? In my opinion, no.

Last 5 matchups between Huntingdon/Milan

2018: Huntingdon won 44-29

2019: Huntingdon won 40-39

2020: Milan won 49-20

2021: Huntingdon won 63-33

2022: Huntingdon won 42-21

Point being, since 2010, there's only been 3 Huntingdon/Milan games that finished with a one possession score. Two games by 1 point, and one game by 8 points. In that same time span, we had several games decided by 27 points or more, and one game decided by a final score of 62-18.

Due to geographical reasons, this isn't a rivalry anymore in my eyes. Huntingdon's rival is McKenzie. I imagine the players hang out with each other at the local sonic or Walmart parking lot. They got nothing else to do. If you ask the Huntingdon players today, who would they rather beat: McKenzie or Milan? They'll likely say McKenzie. 

You can make the same argument for Milan football players as they have South Gibson on their hands. With the game being on a Thursday night to open up the season, that game will mean more for Milan players than the Huntingdon/Milan game. 

Four of the last five South Gibson/Milan games have finished with a point differential of 5 points or less.

I know this was a rivalry in the past, but things have changed. The on field performance/results isn't there. In addition, you add a school down the street in South Gibson. You have a McKenzie team also has went to Chattanooga in the last two years. 

Our definition of rivalry is just different. You are talking "current" most important game, and who you most want to beat...I'm talking generational dislike, and who you'd most hate to lose to. In my eyes, tradition plays as much a part as does relevance.