Star players playing different sports?

Turtle

The kid that is going to college in his best sport and wants to play another sport should play. However, the coach of that sport the kid is playing has to understand the kid is going to be doing work in the sport he is going to be playing in college. Example: football kid going to play college football has to be allowed to get in the weight room as much as he wants during basketball season. Basketball kid going to play college basketball has to be allowed to play basketball during football season....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depending on the situation. However, let's picture this being a basketball/football situation.

Lots of basketball players that are good believing they can be NBA players and they're not. Just imagine how tough it is to play basketball overseas as a job. If a player is 6'3 or 6'5 and playing basketball, that person needs to be playing football...

One team had a basketball player that was 6'5 and ended up going to a school no one even heard of. Congratulations to him! However, if he played football and had some skill, he could very well be at least at a FCS school to start out his career, with a possibility to transfer out to a FBS school.

One sport has 60 draft picks with only half of those picks earning a contract. The other sport has 7 rounds. Opportunities.

Lots of basketball players that are 6'3-6'5 that are focusing on the wrong sport. Need to be on the gridiron.

17 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Depending on the situation. However, let's picture this being a basketball/football situation.

Lots of basketball players that are good believing they can be NBA players and they're not. Just imagine how tough it is to play basketball overseas as a job. If a player is 6'3 or 6'5 and playing basketball, that person needs to be playing football...

One team had a basketball player that was 6'5 and ended up going to a school no one even heard of. Congratulations to him! However, if he played football and had some skill, he could very well be at least at a FCS school to start out his career, with a possibility to transfer out to a FBS school.

One sport has 60 draft picks with only half of those picks earning a contract. The other sport has 7 rounds. Opportunities.

Lots of basketball players that are 6'3-6'5 that are focusing on the wrong sport. Need to be on the gridiron.

I would also say lots of 6'5" tight ends and 6'6' wide outs should be playing basketball and baseball. D-1 scholarships are so unfair. football gets like 85, basketball gets like 13, and baseball gets like 12... That does not make any sense to me. baseball gets the short end of the stick. There are tons of kids getting football scholarships that will never touch the field that could have potentially played college basketball or baseball as freshman. 

I have to get off of CoachT and stop reading all of this nonsense. Each one of you gave your opinion on what you personally want to see kids do, not what's probably actually best for each individual kid.

How about we just let kids play what they want. Let them go after their dreams and do what they feel is necessary to accomplish those dreams. If they want to focus on one sport, then let them. If they get hurt because of over-usage then that is on them. If they want to play multiple sports and they do not sign a scholarship because they did not focus on one sport then that is on them. I knew when I was a freshman in high school what my dreams were and I set goals and I focused on that. I stayed injury free by the way. I also played a secondary sport that did not take away from my primary sport. (And before you say kids don't know what they want or what is good for them at that age, these kids are on their phones with social media everyday making decisions that can help or hurt them. Some are behind the wheel of a car everyday and the wrong decision could hurt themselves or someone else. So, if they are making these decisions everyday, they can decide what sports they really want to play.)

Parents don't force them or push them in a certain direction. Let them tell you their dreams, goals and then help create the best path for them to succeed at that! Don't try to relive your glory years through them or try to create glory years for yourself because you weren't good enough in high school. Be there to support and help, that's it!

High School coaches don't push them in a certain direction and fill their heads with lies! Every coach in every sport is out to win because they are judged on wins and loses. I get that, but, if you are truly for the kids and what's best, support them in their decisions. Don't try to talk them into coming and playing for you just because YOU think they will help you win. I'm sure there are athletes at every school that could help another program win, but if the kid doesn't come and try out or comes to you and asks about playing, then leave them alone!

If you are truly about the kids, then truly be about them and help them accomplish their goals. Not yours!

1 hour ago, WestTennRaider said:

I have to get off of CoachT and stop reading all of this nonsense. Each one of you gave your opinion on what you personally want to see kids do, not what's probably actually best for each individual kid.

How about we just let kids play what they want. Let them go after their dreams and do what they feel is necessary to accomplish those dreams. If they want to focus on one sport, then let them. If they get hurt because of over-usage then that is on them. If they want to play multiple sports and they do not sign a scholarship because they did not focus on one sport then that is on them. I knew when I was a freshman in high school what my dreams were and I set goals and I focused on that. I stayed injury free by the way. I also played a secondary sport that did not take away from my primary sport. (And before you say kids don't know what they want or what is good for them at that age, these kids are on their phones with social media everyday making decisions that can help or hurt them. Some are behind the wheel of a car everyday and the wrong decision could hurt themselves or someone else. So, if they are making these decisions everyday, they can decide what sports they really want to play.)

Parents don't force them or push them in a certain direction. Let them tell you their dreams, goals and then help create the best path for them to succeed at that! Don't try to relive your glory years through them or try to create glory years for yourself because you weren't good enough in high school. Be there to support and help, that's it!

High School coaches don't push them in a certain direction and fill their heads with lies! Every coach in every sport is out to win because they are judged on wins and loses. I get that, but, if you are truly for the kids and what's best, support them in their decisions. Don't try to talk them into coming and playing for you just because YOU think they will help you win. I'm sure there are athletes at every school that could help another program win, but if the kid doesn't come and try out or comes to you and asks about playing, then leave them alone!

If you are truly about the kids, then truly be about them and help them accomplish their goals. Not yours!

100%

On 8/8/2023 at 8:05 AM, Turtle said:

Most the times at smaller schools, the star player usually goes out and play a different sport like football/track/wrestling/baseball etc... Are you all against this or do you welcome the opportunity ?  There's a lot of buzz around town, that our local star player at AE shouldn't be going out for football because of the risk of injury.  However, the star player is trying his best to get his school back on the map of talking about State Championships.  So let me know what your thoughts are about star players playing different sports, you for it or against and why?

Playing two sports doesn't affect an athlete.  When I coached Harrison Smith at Knoxville Catholic, the football coaches came to his basketball games to get a feel for what type of athlete he was.  I think playing two sports prevents burn out.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:58 AM, WestTennRaider said:

I have to get off of CoachT and stop reading all of this nonsense. Each one of you gave your opinion on what you personally want to see kids do, not what's probably actually best for each individual kid. How about we just let kids play what they want. If you are truly about the kids, then truly be about them and help them accomplish their goals. Not yours!

On 8/10/2023 at 11:59 AM, tradertwo said:

I think that too many grown-up's try and dictate what the student athletes do. I believe that kids should be supported in whatever they're interested in, and not subjected to the pressures of disappointing the adults whom they respect, by either pushing them toward or away from doing something that they should be able to reflect on fondly later in life, not look back on with regrets.

Careful about lumping "Each one of you" together. Look at the date of our posts...if you published yours I could sue you for plagiarism.

This was close to 20 years ago, but something I will always remember as the best line I have ever heard about multiple sport athletes. 

When my youngest son was a Freshman at a school here in Knox County (one that was winning several state championships in multiple sports mind you) we had a parent meeting for freshman football team.  The athletic director came in and spoke to us.  He told every single parent in the gym, "If you believe your son is athletic enough to ever start for us, or to at least get serious playing time, then he needs to be playing at least 2 sports for our school.  If you believe your son is good enough to see playing time as a sophomore or younger, then he needs to be playing 3."

21 hours ago, sx1234 said:

This was close to 20 years ago, but something I will always remember as the best line I have ever heard about multiple sport athletes. 

When my youngest son was a Freshman at a school here in Knox County (one that was winning several state championships in multiple sports mind you) we had a parent meeting for freshman football team.  The athletic director came in and spoke to us.  He told every single parent in the gym, "If you believe your son is athletic enough to ever start for us, or to at least get serious playing time, then he needs to be playing at least 2 sports for our school.  If you believe your son is good enough to see playing time as a sophomore or younger, then he needs to be playing 3."

100 % but you will never here that now days