Favorites to win each class

BallIsLife1

So are the defending champions in each class the favorites to win until they don't, or are there new favorites to start the preseason?

I still like McKenzie in 1A as long as Savannah Davis is healthy. You can never count out Westview in 2A, they always reload. Jackson South Side in 3A will bring as much pressure as they want to give them a chance. In 4A, when has Bradley Central not been a house hold name?

What are some of your thoughts?

1 hour ago, BallIsLife1 said:

So are the defending champions in each class the favorites to win until they don't, or are there new favorites to start the preseason?

I still like McKenzie in 1A as long as Savannah Davis is healthy. You can never count out Westview in 2A, they always reload. Jackson South Side in 3A will bring as much pressure as they want to give them a chance. In 4A, when has Bradley Central not been a house hold name?

We played both Mckenzie and South Side this summer. Both have younger players that need experience to make that run. South Side's Askins was out all summer with a broken wrist or hand. She is a Miss Basketball talent. Mckenzie is effected more than I thought. Both teams have younger players that have to be battle tested. Both teams will be better late in the year. Westview will reload but losing Harrison won't help. Wayne County in Single A will be tough. McMinn Central and Gatlinburg Pittman will be tough in AA. Livingston Academy and Upperman will be a handful in AAA. AA is always loaded. Gibson County, York, Alcoa, Loretto, Summertown, Peabody bumped up....etc..We will see. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

A - Wayne County has to be the favorite.  McKenzie will still get to the state tournament, but Wayne County was much better than McKenzie this summer.  

AA - Gatlinburg, McMinn, or Gibson County are my favorites.  York is also a possibility.  Westview will be good but I don't believe state championship good in a very competitive AA class

AAA - The most talent in the state may be in Dyersburg.  Creek Wood is going to be very good with the new transfer and the freshman stud.  Upperman has to be in the conversation.  I think South Side is similar to Westview - good but not state championship good.

AAAA - Bradley Central

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maddams said:

A - Wayne County has to be the favorite.  McKenzie will still get to the state tournament, but Wayne County was much better than McKenzie this summer.  

AA - Gatlinburg, McMinn, or Gibson County are my favorites.  York is also a possibility.  Westview will be good but I don't believe state championship good in a very competitive AA class

AAA - The most talent in the state may be in Dyersburg.  Creek Wood is going to be very good with the new transfer and the freshman stud.  Upperman has to be in the conversation.  I think South Side is similar to Westview - good but not state championship good.

AAAA - Bradley Central

Pickett County has everyone back. They should easily return to the state after being there last year, a year before they were expected to make it.

Edited by bobcatfan#1

On 8/29/2023 at 1:30 PM, maddams said:

AAAA - Bradley Central

I feel like this is the same thing that was said last year about some of these teams and the results were the opposite. Everyone said Wayne County was good or better than McKenzie. Some said last year was supposed to be Gatlinburg Pittman's year also, but did they even make it to the Boro?  Many said that South Side was good, but hadn't played any good teams and it would hurt them in the postseason, well we see how that panned out. Same with Westview, "they are good, but not good enough to beat York". 

I do agree, Dyersburg is extremely talented, but there is a BUT there and I cant put my finger on it just yet, but i like what they have. I also have heard that Creek Wood has a transfer. Is she Burgess good? If not, they wont be as good as everyone thinks. They didn't have a whole lot outside of her to return. Upperman will be Upperman as long as Coach McWilliams is there. It will be interesting. I have a new job so I will get to see a lot of basketball this season and I can't wait!

4 hours ago, BallIsLife1 said:

I feel like this is the same thing that was said last year about some of these teams and the results were the opposite. Everyone said Wayne County was good or better than McKenzie. Some said last year was supposed to be Gatlinburg Pittman's year also, but did they even make it to the Boro?  Many said that South Side was good, but hadn't played any good teams and it would hurt them in the postseason, well we see how that panned out. Same with Westview, "they are good, but not good enough to beat York". 

I do agree, Dyersburg is extremely talented, but there is a BUT there and I cant put my finger on it just yet, but i like what they have. I also have heard that Creek Wood has a transfer. Is she Burgess good? If not, they wont be as good as everyone thinks. They didn't have a whole lot outside of her to return. Upperman will be Upperman as long as Coach McWilliams is there. It will be interesting. I have a new job so I will get to see a lot of basketball this season and I can't wait!

I thought Wayne Co could beat McKenzie last year.  Instead, McKenzie shot about 80% from 3 in the title game and ran away with it.  Wayne Co looked good this summer.  McKenzie looked really bad this summer.  Maybe it doesn't mean anything.  Maybe it does.  @bobcatfan#1 is right about Pickett being in the conversation.  I forgot that they were bringing everything back. 

Westview and South Side graduated a lot.  Westview graduated maybe the best player to ever walk those halls.  Southside graduated three incredible players.  They will both be competitive this year because of tradition and coaching.  But neither is as good as they were last year.  

Creek Wood has a freshman whose ceiling is higher than Burgess.  Not saying she is better right now, but her potential is Power 5. If the transfer from Dickson can play, they're going to be in Murfreesboro.  

Dyersburg is going to be interesting.  I think they are the most talented team in 3A, but I can understand your point.  

• Like 1

a Wayne county but Mckenzie will still be competive

aa Gibson county or York depends on how the young kids play

aa south side upperman or Dyersburg. Southside could win it with their defense , upperman is upperman, and Dyersburg could have the best fresh, soph and jr  on their roster going to be a handful for any team should be an intersting year in 3a 

• Like 1

Looking at the top ten from last year, I'm curious what teams bring back this year.

1A - I feel like Waynesboro starts out as the favorite in 1A if they didnt loose much. McKenzie will still be good but you can't replace what they loss last year and expect to be as good, Even with Davis healthy. Sounds like several more took a small step back due to graduating starters in the top ten. I think a couple will go deeper this year. Sounds like Pickett County and South Fulton will be bringing everyone back.

2A - McMinn, Gibson County, and Gatlingburg are my 2A favorites. I dont think the McMinn team lost much. They played SF for the Junior high championship a few years ago. That same team is seniors now.

3A - I saw 3A Jackson South Side play this summer. Looked like they lost some from last year's championship game. Not sure if Upperman or LS lost anything.

4A - Bradley and Bearden 4A. Not sure If Bartlett lost anyone from last years team either

18 hours ago, TnHoops23 said:

Looking at the top ten from last year, I'm curious what teams bring back this year.

1A - I feel like Waynesboro starts out as the favorite in 1A if they didnt loose much. McKenzie will still be good but you can't replace what they loss last year and expect to be as good, Even with Davis healthy. Sounds like several more took a small step back due to graduating starters in the top ten. I think a couple will go deeper this year. Sounds like Pickett County and South Fulton will be bringing everyone back.

2A - McMinn, Gibson County, and Gatlingburg are my 2A favorites. I dont think the McMinn team lost much. They played SF for the Junior high championship a few years ago. That same team is seniors now.

3A - I saw 3A Jackson South Side play this summer. Looked like they lost some from last year's championship game. Not sure if Upperman or LS lost anything.

4A - Bradley and Bearden 4A. Not sure If Bartlett lost anyone from last years team either

Upperman lost two senior starters and has recently lost another starter due to injury.