South Pittsburg vs MTCS (Battle of Unbeatens)

Southtowner

16 hours ago, LethalAttack said:

Why you have a small point about teams needing to challenge themself. It’s hard for 1a and 2a teams to schedule multiple tough  non region opponents due to lack of depth. If you look at Alabama and Georgia 1a/2a you very seldom see many teams scheduling stupid games. Fyffe Alabama is a prime example. Can you imagine how stupid it would look if Fyffe scheduled Hoover Alabama? 

SP has had 1 team in school history that could complete not win compete with Alcoa and that was 07. Alcoa would simply beat every pirate team by 35+ points any given night. 

I'm not saying to go out and fill your non region schedule with Alcoa and Oakland types. I think if fans will be honest with themselves, Oakland gave you guys barometer of where your team is at, the effort it takes to play against a equal or more talented team, and the level of execution it takes to win those games, thus helping you all down the road in the playoffs. 

I think it's too late in the game to schedule Boyd. If they continue their trajectory under Rankin, then it would be another match up against Alcoa in a different uniform. Somebody mentioned Peabody earlier. More along those lines. Sure Franklin County is below average for 5A but it is a good test for a 1a/2a team due to their size and athletes they will have on the team. Upperman, TC, Tullahoma, York, Smith County, Tyner, Hixson, and Red Bank types. I know you have scheduled some of those in the past or recently. Most of them will be competitive except for the occasional 2 to 3 year dip. 

Also, just my opinion but I think all the valley teams should go back to playing each other. Try to get most of them early in the year while the record is still decent and there is some hope. No reason to be missing out on the money that those types of games will bring to all of the schools involved. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldfaithful said:

Also, just my opinion but I think all the valley teams should go back to playing each other. Try to get most of them early in the year while the record is still decent and there is some hope. No reason to be missing out on the money that those types of games will bring to all of the schools involved. 

I would like to see that happen. 

3 minutes ago, Pirate2003 said:

Good and bad to those games. Just my opinion on it. 

I agree with you that there would be nothing to gain from some of the games. And I know it won't be the same as it was in the old days, but it used to mean something to beat the other teams in the valley. Crowd sizes were insane compared to today. But then that's just it, the gates wouldn't be large like they used to be. No one really travelled when we went to Grundy the last few times. It's been a while since we played Bledsoe, but the crowds were small then. That may be different with them winning more now. But there was a time that you had to get to the stadium extremely early to get a seat if you were playing an old SVC team, even after the SVC disbanded.

I guess I would just like it for nostalgic reasons.

2 hours ago, RichyRich said:

This whole time I've thought you were a Powell panther  from up in knox county lol

Nope, I hail from just across the line in Tiger town (consolidated with those ###### cats down the road in 1989). Came to Middle TN in the 90's and cheered on Rankin and his Riverdale teams into the 2000s. Put kids in MTCS 8 years ago and have been pulling for them ever since.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I agree with you that there would be nothing to gain from some of the games. And I know it won't be the same as it was in the old days, but it used to mean something to beat the other teams in the valley. Crowd sizes were insane compared to today. But then that's just it, the gates wouldn't be large like they used to be. No one really travelled when we went to Grundy the last few times. It's been a while since we played Bledsoe, but the crowds were small then. That may be different with them winning more now. But there was a time that you had to get to the stadium extremely early to get a seat if you were playing an old SVC team, even after the SVC disbanded.

I guess I would just like it for nostalgic reasons.

That's why I say early in the year. It will ebb and flow with teams being up and down but you will have some turn out due to proximity vs having to fun gas for a trip and 1.5 or 2 hours away. The ceiling for the gates are extremely high and the floor is equal to what it is now. 

Some games will be a blow out but would rather make some money and make it easier for parents/fans financially and logistically.