Riverside Hosts Fairley in Semi's

@38320

1 hour ago, vandyfan1 said:

First I said i respect and enjoy your post. 
I believe my question was did you think Huntingdon just got out played or out coached. 

my personal opinion was the players played their butts off and I didn’t agree with the play calling. My thoughts were it all fell on the coach. I think Riverside and Huntingdon are two very even matched teams.

it was something like that if I remember correctly.

Same to you bud. I think our boys played hard. We didn’t play clean as evidenced by the two turnovers.  I kinda think our playcalling on offense was handcuffed due to injury and we definitely have zero semblance of a hurry up. The usage of the clock was a major stumbling block.  The major issue I had with coaching was in particular the malfeasance of never having a safety (or two) back with a play coming you know they are going to go to the end zone such as the last play before half. We also imo don’t do a good job of teaching technique to our dbs, such as how to line up to take away those slants.  Easy to coach on a message board. Lol. We just got beat by a better team that night. Hope the Panthers bring home the gold!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mustang1969 said:

Same to you bud. I think our boys played hard. We didn’t play clean as evidenced by the two turnovers.  I kinda think our playcalling on offense was handcuffed due to injury and we definitely have zero semblance of a hurry up. The usage of the clock was a major stumbling block.  The major issue I had with coaching was in particular the malfeasance of never having a safety (or two) back with a play coming you know they are going to go to the end zone such as the last play before half. We also imo don’t do a good job of teaching technique to our dbs, such as how to line up to take away those slants.  Easy to coach on a message board. Lol. We just got beat by a better team that night. Hope the Panthers bring home the gold!

I hope what I heard about Gray isn't completely true and if it is I hope he has a speedy recovery and it doesn't affect him next year. I understand coaches like to stick to what they do best, especially Swenson, but in these games and beyond, there has to be some kind of change going forward if we are going to be successful, at least next year in this region. Somebody said earlier, somewhere, that we were pretty successful on the pass plays against Riverside and they wondered why we got away from it. I agree with them. Why not just keep passing until we set up the run? We can't keep running the same plays against good teams and expect it to work every time, there has to be an adjustment somewhere and IMO these coaches aren't able to do that in meaningful games. That has been shown plenty of times in the past 10 or more years. I'm not saying dump Swenson, but Jesus it's so frustrating. Our secondary has played really well this year, even better than I had expected, but I agree with you, that play you should have had 1 or maybe 2 players dropped back to defend the long pass. Another issue, like you stated, is the non-existent hurry up offense. In meaningful games, every second counts and it will hurt you tremendously if your qb is running 15-20 seconds off the clock having to run to the sideline to get the play. Swenson and the coaches need to get with the program. Use pictures or hand signals something, even if its just for the hurry up offense. I can't say that if all this was fixed during the game with Riverside, we would win, but I think it would have been closer. Riverside is just talented, from the players to the coaches. Good coaches win those meaningful games and Frost did just that, 2 years in a row. Good luck to the Panthers, bring that gold back to the west! Much respect from a salty and frustrated Mustang fan.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

I hope what I heard about Gray isn't completely true and if it is I hope he has a speedy recovery and it doesn't affect him next year. I understand coaches like to stick to what they do best, especially Swenson, but in these games and beyond, there has to be some kind of change going forward if we are going to be successful, at least next year in this region. Somebody said earlier, somewhere, that we were pretty successful on the pass plays against Riverside and they wondered why we got away from it. I agree with them. Why not just keep passing until we set up the run? We can't keep running the same plays against good teams and expect it to work every time, there has to be an adjustment somewhere and IMO these coaches aren't able to do that in meaningful games. That has been shown plenty of times in the past 10 or more years. I'm not saying dump Swenson, but Jesus it's so frustrating. Our secondary has played really well this year, even better than I had expected, but I agree with you, that play you should have had 1 or maybe 2 players dropped back to defend the long pass. Another issue, like you stated, is the non-existent hurry up offense. In meaningful games, every second counts and it will hurt you tremendously if your qb is running 15-20 seconds off the clock having to run to the sideline to get the play. Swenson and the coaches need to get with the program. Use pictures or hand signals something, even if its just for the hurry up offense. I can't say that if all this was fixed during the game with Riverside, we would win, but I think it would have been closer. Riverside is just talented, from the players to the coaches. Good coaches win those meaningful games and Frost did just that, 2 years in a row. Good luck to the Panthers, bring that gold back to the west! Much respect from a salty and frustrated Mustang fan.

Not often that two people with entirely different perspectives see a game in exactly the same way, but this analogy feels like I could have written it. Nothing to add, and nothing to disagree with.

Edited by tradertwo

2 hours ago, stangsby3 said:

Sounds like you have a coach just like Lewis Co. had in coach sharp lives and dies by the run. It is hard to beat good defensive teams by the run only and that sounds like that is Swenson problem lives and dies by the run.

15 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I watched most of the game with fairley against Covington. If they don’t get tds called back they beat Covington pretty bad and Covington is a good football team. Riverside is going to have their hands full 

Fairley star didn’t even play against Covington. I believe they said he was in the running for Mr. Football last year and had 15 interceptions.

I’m going with Fairley in this one. 

7 hours ago, Haven04 said:

South Fairley with the upset. I think those expecting and praying for another typical undisciplined undercoached Memphis team bout to be in for a rude awakening. Rolling with the Bulldogs in a dogfight. 

They did get 3 tds called back against Covington that’s undisciplined. They did look physical on defense and had speed. They qb didn’t have much of an arm but the receivers were good and could go up and catch balls. If they win I don’t think it would be an upset 

1 hour ago, Tide21 said:

They did get 3 tds called back against Covington that’s undisciplined. They did look physical on defense and had speed. They qb didn’t have much of an arm but the receivers were good and could go up and catch balls. If they win I don’t think it would be an upset 

Who ya picking bud?

On 11/18/2023 at 5:06 PM, Beagle said:

So many quoted race "Horse" on his "one of these teams is better than last year and one of them   Is worse Huntingdung by 35 !"  or something to that degree that he probably asked for it to be taken down.   Dude is a cocky turd and doesn't take well to being wrong or  called out. I actually know him although he has no idea I am me :P

I care that you know who I m why? Because most people know who I’m anyway. I talk to bunch of people about being on coacht and who I am on here. 

Edited by horse