Does George Quarles return to Maryville?

JustinBuck

ETSU will always be a train wreck. George Quarels is a great coach at turning his athletes into fine young men. That should be the main goal of any coach. Yes, wins mean a lot to the fans of a team. But a coach is not there to coach fans. So being a person that molds these players into men is the first job. Then comes helping them play football.

At ETSU things might not have gone well in terms of wins, but you can bet George made a positive impact on his players for the rest of their life. He may not be a impressive college coach in terms of wins at ETSU. But,  I think he is the best high school coach Tennessee has had, in terms of wins.

He is also an overall good guy off the field. I think he probably sleeps very well every night.

21 minutes ago, BCF said:

ETSU will always be a train wreck. George Quarels is a great coach at turning his athletes into fine young men. That should be the main goal of any coach. Yes, wins mean a lot to the fans of a team. But a coach is not there to coach fans. So being a person that molds these players into men is the first job. Then comes helping them play football.

At ETSU things might not have gone well in terms of wins, but you can bet George made a positive impact on his players for the rest of their life. He may not be a impressive college coach in terms of wins at ETSU. But,  I think he is the best high school coach Tennessee has had, in terms of wins.

He is also an overall good guy off the field. I think he probably sleeps very well every night.

ETSU isn't willing nor able to invest in football, nor pretty much every other sport, to make it on a level with its upper-level mid major peers.  The cuts they have made in baseball have taken them from a perennial contender in the SoCon to a mid to low level program.  

Just poor leadership and lack of fundraising.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:23 AM, strongx said:

It was all in place for him. Everything a coach could possibly need. Everybody pulling in the same direction. Dang, he must stink as a football coach. The White brothers must have carried him for years. Yeah…let’s go with that. Who is all in?

Are just gonna post silly comments or bring facts. My entire post was based on facts. Here is some more Quarles couldn't recruit.  9 early signing day vs 30 this year by Tre Lamb. He struggled in the college game as a OC at Furman they were  middle of the pack every year. He leaves both 2022 and 2023 the offense takes off. Furman had a QB that was also a punter at his old school under the Arkansas coach who never punted. He led etsu to some of the worse  losses ever. Austin Peay and WCU. Finally name a school if you can that returned 20 starters and had a losing record like etsu did in FCS please cause if you don't follow FCS you are wasting my time

On 1/21/2024 at 12:29 PM, BCF said:

Not from what I heard the players hated him. They had some who liked Quarles but guys liked fans post about firing Quarles even in 2022 biggest  being Jacob Saylors who is on the Falcons PS. They knew on the first day according to people I know and chat with that it was gonna be a train wreck. That's why Chandler Martin left this past spring for Memphis and he balled out. Quarles did not have the respect of the players and by mid October most cared more about looking good on tape than what Quarles thought cause they knew he was gone 

3 hours ago, ETSUHouse said:

Are just gonna post silly comments or bring facts. My entire post was based on facts. Here is some more Quarles couldn't recruit.  9 early signing day vs 30 this year by Tre Lamb. He struggled in the college game as a OC at Furman they were  middle of the pack every year. He leaves both 2022 and 2023 the offense takes off. Furman had a QB that was also a punter at his old school under the Arkansas coach who never punted. He led etsu to some of the worse  losses ever. Austin Peay and WCU. Finally name a school if you can that returned 20 starters and had a losing record like etsu did in FCS please cause if you don't follow FCS you are wasting my time

Honestly not too concerned with wasting your time on a message board for Pete’s sake.

You do act as though you know what was happening. I heard from the start that he was not accepted by many of the existing staff and players. I’m sure you realize how that can affect a team. I went up this year to watch a game. The bucs looked horrible. So bad in fact that there had to be a bigger reason than simply a bad head coach. 
With a school like ETSU that can’t recruit simply on name, I assume dissent in the coaching staff, or from part of the team who never bought in, would be extremely detrimental to bring in players who have options. But it all fits together and the HBC is responsible. There might be something to the White bros carrying the load at 825.

1 hour ago, strongx said:

Honestly not too concerned with wasting your time on a message board for Pete’s sake.

You do act as though you know what was happening. I heard from the start that he was not accepted by many of the existing staff and players. I’m sure you realize how that can affect a team. I went up this year to watch a game. The bucs looked horrible. So bad in fact that there had to be a bigger reason than simply a bad head coach. 
With a school like ETSU that can’t recruit simply on name, I assume dissent in the coaching staff, or from part of the team who never bought in, would be extremely detrimental to bring in players who have options. But it all fits together and the HBC is responsible. There might be something to the White bros carrying the load at 825.

Tre Lamb again is not having that issue recruiting ETSU on name. He has 1 4 star Aj Johnson 3 stars in Jaden Pierce Izay and Mason Ball from EHS. Like I said as the season went on Quarles lost more and more of the locker room so if you want later in the season the players were there to put highlights out instead of caring about the staff they knew after VMI that he was gone. The only reason he was hired was Scot Carter  both Noland and Sander  hated the idea of Quarles as HC. Kinda wish Jeff Fisher plane landed in Tricities Airport in 21. Another fun fact Noland had to talk Carter out of hiring Quarles after Torbush retired and hire Randy Sanders instead. In 21 Noland said fine you get this one chance at the hire.

58 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I would give anything to know why he really left Maryville. He had opportunities to leave earlier in his coaching career and passed them up. Had he stayed I firmly believe the two state championships that were won after he left would have still been the only two had he stayed. 

I would drop  everything if my college room mate asked me to work with him too. Hendrix and him were room mates and are close 

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I would give anything to know why he really left Maryville. He had opportunities to leave earlier in his coaching career and passed them up. Had he stayed I firmly believe the two state championships that were won after he left would have still been the only two had he stayed. 

If I had to bet…$$$.

6 hours ago, strongx said:

If I had to bet…$$$.

sx speekin' ov munny....Eye seed whur tha Mairvul Skools iz wontin' two raze our tackus agin two bild a knew wang att tha hi skool....If'un we cood git thes skool peepull az eggcited abowt heppin' tha boys on Fridee nites az tha ere abowt takin' our tacks munny then'st thangs mite taik a chainge att 825....jmo.....:popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

1 hour ago, STARSNBARS said:

sx speekin' ov munny....Eye seed whur tha Mairvul Skools iz wontin' two raze our tackus agin two bild a knew wang att tha hi skool....If'un we cood git thes skool peepull az eggcited abowt heppin' tha boys on Fridee nites az tha ere abowt takin' our tacks munny then'st thangs mite taik a chainge att 825....jmo.....:popcorneater:

I’ve not heard much football talk from 825. That hoops team seems to have turned things around this year. Everybody gearing up for track.