6A Championship- Oakland v. Houston

MidTennFootball

Upset of the year in regards to the Championships. Houston made Oakland look very average after an awesome run. Oakland at times this year didn’t always play like they were capable. Not sure if complacency set in and they thought Houston would just lay down for them but it obviously didn’t happen. Again great year by Houston. Oakland will be back. Duane Morris revenge tour coming soon in 2024. I am just keeping it real

Hats off to Houston, there's nobody that can say they aren't the best team in 6A after going through Germantown,  Brentwood and Oakland like they did. People will call it an upset, but Houston was just better plain and simple. Nothing like seeing your team get their first title, I congratulate Coach Thomas and his players on a job well done as well as the Houston community.

For Oakland's seniors, there is nothing to hang your head for. 4 year record of 56-4 with 3 gold balls and a silver is pretty amazing. This team faced adversity on their road to Chattanooga and had to win 3 road games to get there. I'm proud of what these seniors and this team accomplished.

Alot of this Oakland team returns in 2024, interested to see their development in the months that follow

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Hats off to Houston, there's nobody that can say they aren't the best team in 6A after going through Germantown,  Brentwood and Oakland like they did. People will call it an upset, but Houston was just better plain and simple. Nothing like seeing your team get their first title, I congratulate Coach Thomas and his players on a job well done as well as the Houston community.

For Oakland's seniors, there is nothing to hang your head for. 4 year record of 56-4 with 3 gold balls and a silver is pretty amazing. This team faced adversity on their road to Chattanooga and had to win 3 road games to get there. I'm proud of what these seniors and this team accomplished.

Alot of this Oakland team returns in 2024, interested to see their development in the months that follow

Since you seem to be a fan of the program. Is the 2 qb system a ploy just to get his son on the field? From everything I have read he is not great. I know the wing T is not thought of being a great throwing offense, but normally you will have single covered receivers that can get open with a simple slant. I'm sure ya'll aren't lacking in talent in the WR room.

On 11/30/2023 at 2:02 PM, CaptainGuru said:

Oakland Patriots will beat Houston Mustangs bad in this game. It will happen. I guarantee it. Watch and see. Does anyone want to bet me? I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

I was wrong about this game. Oakland Patriots did not beat Houston Mustangs bad in this game.  They did not beat them at all. I guarantee It did not happen. I am glad that no one bet me about this game. I would have lost. I am right most of the time but I was wrong for this last game of the season. Oh well everyone is wrong sometime. Now it's time for basketball! I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

50 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Since you seem to be a fan of the program. Is the 2 qb system a ploy just to get his son on the field? From everything I have read he is not great. I know the wing T is not thought of being a great throwing offense, but normally you will have single covered receivers that can get open with a simple slant. I'm sure ya'll aren't lacking in talent in the WR room.

Kyler Creasy was actually the full time starter to start the season. It wasn't until he got hurt and Freeman proved himself capable that the 2 qb system became a thing. Personally I prefer Freeman, I feel like he's shown abilities that you need in a championship qb aside from his arm, but obviously Kyler knows the offense  better. I trust in Creasy to make the best decision for the team. 

Oakland does base out of the Wing-T, but they'll show alot of different formations over the course of the season, so what Oakland does can vary from team to team. Creasy has had teams at Oakland that could sling it, but in a given year, most of Oakland's talent is OL,DL,DB and TB. If Creasy wanted to, he could have a 2,000 yard passer every season. I suspect next season you could see more of Morris at WR if Haynesworth can stay healthy and proves to be a guy Creasy can trust. That's assuming if Freeman stays at Oakland 

Edited by MidTennFootball

The old saying comes to mind when I consider the fact that Oakland has two quarterbacks.  "If you have two then that means you don't have one" Like MidTenn said,  I also feel that Freeman gives Oakland a better chance to win and think he would at the very least be a serviceable qb option.  I know the style of offense is more of a run first and pass a distant second but it would be better if that person was a legitimate threat with the arm or running and making a play to at least keep opposing defenses honest. 

Great season overall for the Patriots but they met a bigger, stronger and better team Saturday night.  Congrats to Houston.

9 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

It was an upset in most people's minds because of the rankings and history. But watching the game it was definitely not an upset in the end.

Houston flat out won that game without question.

Edited by alt1958b

22 minutes ago, alt1958b said:

It was an upset in most people's minds because of the rankings and history. But watching the game it was definitely not an upset in the end.

Houston flat out won that game without question.

I wasn’t able to watch it, but from the sounds of it it could’ve been worse. A few Houston fans on here said that Houston dropped a few would be TD passes.

31 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I wasn’t able to watch it, but from the sounds of it it could’ve been worse. A few Houston fans on here said that Houston dropped a few would be TD passes.

It was interesting to watch Oakland get out - Oaklanded.

I saw some complaints about the number of penalties on Oakland when they played Bradley. Was not sure if that was normal or not, but it was more than Bradley got. Then against Houston I saw a similar number against Oakland. 

Since no one really puts out box scores like they used to, I wonder if that was typical or not. Did they have bad weeks or maybe was the competition strong enough to get them into abnormal numbers of penalties? I have always been a box score junky and if I could find them looked for the norms and the abnormal in games. Curious about that now.