Cleveland High School Recruiting

Ummmno

4 minutes ago, TheTreyB said:

We had 80 “newbies” this past beginners season. lol

Maybe not let that many sign up lol, I mean if you cannot handle the amount that does, go ahead and turn them down, did in my soccer programs before, make a cap and go with it because obviously there aren’t enough coaches to handle that amount. Oh well

Just now, cobrakid8 said:

Yeah, when you make a promise maybe you should see it through, the first time he screwed Ben and wouldn’t even give any money back, much less MATCH the money which we were all told he does for every school wasn’t the last time he did it either, so Ben gave up working with Allan! So quit beating your drum if he matches every dollar that is raised when the liar wouldn’t even do it! 

as far as Bryant, who knows what will happen with that, I sure wouldn’t want to run the Bradley program myself, especially with it being open for which school you want to go to and wrestlers are going to pick Cleveland plain and simple. Would much rather have a job outside that county and hope to keep my kids at my own school and build from there! 

Are you still mad because you couldn’t get a HCWC singlet? 

Please stop with the ridiculous recruiting crap. The kids on Cleveland’s team were developed in part or in whole by the Cleveland staff. The vast majority of the kids in the varsity lineup are born and raised in Cleveland. The 3 that moved here out of the 14 starters did so in MS and have reaped the benefits of the great coaching they have received. They were good wrestlers when they came, now they are great. Why? Because they worked their tail off and had coaches who poured into them on a level that you simply do not see at 99% of schools. Let’s not forget that before those families came, Cleveland was already winning state titles. It is laughable that people on here are seeming to imply that Cleveland is only great because they recruit or because Allen Jones gives money to the program. I have been a part of this program for a long time now and my son has never received a dime or a recruiting call. You know what he has gotten? Coaches that sacrifice time, energy, and their personal lives to help kids accomplish their goals and develop into great young men. People come to Cleveland because the community loves wrestling, the coaches are the best around, opportunity to wrestle the best competition in the country, and the program makes the wrestling experience special for the kids. You know why we came to Cleveland? Because when I was neglecting my own son as a busy high school and middle school coach at another school, Josh Bosken was personally driving my kid all over and coaching him. He let him stay his house anytime I had to travel. He coached him hard and made him a great wrestler. He never once recruited us. He made us feel like family, and when it was time for my son to go to school, he said “dad, I want to go to Cleveland where all my friends and coaches are.” You know why we came here? Because Joey Knox is a winner who shows up at 5 am to work one-on-one with kids. Because he goes all over the country and knows every single kid personally in our kid’s club. Because he sleeps in a fireworks tent for two weeks in the summer to sell fireworks so we can afford to travel all over the country with our high school team. Last time I checked, Josh was not paying all those kids from all over the state to come to Bosken trained camps. The same is true for Joey. Stop with recruiting stuff already, and stop with the “Allen Jones made Cleveland great” crap. He has never coached a single kid in our program. Apply those same stupid arguments to our girls program who is ranked #5 in the country and rose to the top of TN in year two. They are just further proof that everything I have said is true. Everyone else just keep making  the same tired excuses and keep getting the same results. You claim we recruit, so I challenge you to go weight by weight through our lineup and let’s see how many of those kids were recruited. Heck, I will get you in contact with their parents and you can ask them why they are here (spoiler: it’s not because they are paid).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

Please stop with the ridiculous recruiting crap. The kids on Cleveland’s team were developed in part or in whole by the Cleveland staff. The vast majority of the kids in the varsity lineup are born and raised in Cleveland. The 3 that moved here out of the 14 starters did so in MS and have reaped the benefits of the great coaching they have received. They were good wrestlers when they came, now they are great. Why? Because they worked their tail off and had coaches who poured into them on a level that you simply do not see at 99% of schools. Let’s not forget that before those families came, Cleveland was already winning state titles. It is laughable that people on here are seeming to imply that Cleveland is only great because they recruit or because Allen Jones gives money to the program. I have been a part of this program for a long time now and my son has never received a dime or a recruiting call. You know what he has gotten? Coaches that sacrifice time, energy, and their personal lives to help kids accomplish their goals and develop into great young men. People come to Cleveland because the community loves wrestling, the coaches are the best around, opportunity to wrestle the best competition in the country, and the program makes the wrestling experience special for the kids. You know why we came to Cleveland? Because when I was neglecting my own son as a busy high school and middle school coach at another school, Josh Bosken was personally driving my kid all over and coaching him. He let him stay his house anytime I had to travel. He coached him hard and made him a great wrestler. He never once recruited us. He made us feel like family, and when it was time for my son to go to school, he said “dad, I want to go to Cleveland where all my friends and coaches are.” You know why we came here? Because Joey Knox is a winner who shows up at 5 am to work one-on-one with kids. Because he goes all over the country and knows every single kid personally in our kid’s club. Because he sleeps in a fireworks tent for two weeks in the summer to sell fireworks so we can afford to travel all over the country with our high school team. Last time I checked, Josh was not paying all those kids from all over the state to come to Bosken trained camps. The same is true for Joey. Stop with recruiting stuff already, and stop with the “Allen Jones made Cleveland great” crap. He has never coached a single kid in our program. Apply those same stupid arguments to our girls program who is ranked #5 in the country and rose to the top of TN in year two. They are just further proof that everything I have said is true. Everyone else just keep making  the same tired excuses and keep getting the same results. You claim we recruit, so I challenge you to go weight by weight through our lineup and let’s see how many of those kids were recruited. Heck, I will get you in contact with their parents and you can ask them why they are here (spoiler: it’s not because they are paid).

You sound very defensive and entitled at the same time. 

Other coaches do what you're talking about.  Driving kids around,  long hours,  fund raising, sacraficing personal time... your program is in no way unique in that.  

How are you different? 

You get transfers. 

You get ALOT of funding

You have the be$t facilitie$

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Other coaches do what you're talking about.  Driving kids around,  long hours,  fund raising, sacraficing personal time... your program is in no way unique in that.  

How are you different? 

You get transfers. 

You get ALOT of funding

I never said other coaches don’t do that. And the fact that they do just makes it all the more obvious that the reason Cleveland has the success that it does, is because the coaching is the best around. Also, what am I entitled to? I have done my part for both Cleveland and TN wrestling. Everything I or my son has received as a coach and wrestler respectively has been earned. You are still implying that transfers, money, and facilities are why Cleveland is great, and still missing the real reason. I also am not being defensive. I honestly couldn’t care less what other people think (and everyone who knows me, knows that to be the case). I am allergic to stupidity and I felt like people need to know that Joey and Josh are not what these idiots on here try to make them out to be. Again, go athlete by athlete through our lineup and prove we are only great because 3 kids moved here in MS (you won’t, because you can’t). Show me one Allen Jones dollar that taught a kid how to win a position (you can’t). If you think facilities make kids good at wrestling, you will have to argue that point as well (I am excited to hear how a building teaches a kid to be great at wrestling).  Just saying something is true does not prove that it is true. I can’t wait to hear the incredible genius that proves how a building teaches a kid to get off bottom.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

How are you different? 

You get transfers. 

You get ALOT of funding

It’s not a knock on the other coaches that do it, but the other coaches doing it #1 have not been doing it as long as Bosken/knox (Soddy is starting to and will benefit from it) or #2 not doing the same type of traveling and etc.

your coach may pack up some kids and drive to Alabama or Georgia for a tournament or clinic. Joey and Bosken and the other Cleveland coaches are taking kids k-12 to Tulsa, Iowa, Reno for world team trials, Wisconsin, VAC, Toledo for national MS. And no Alan doesn’t pay for that. Trust me the kids parents pay or fundraiser do because I’ve done it very recently.

8 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Yes there was, this was before the 2021/2022 season and way before Joey tried to weasel a dual for this season when it was the point that most everyone’s schedule is already set! Also as the text Trey posted, the first time he even wrote Rex was to get a dual setup for them to come to the Cleveland Duals which Baylor has done before, but tell me if you can when was the last time Cleveland came to Baylor to wrestle a dual? Also it proves on the schedule that unless they have the duals at their place OR they have no choice(such as district and region matches) they don’t go anywhere else to wrestle duals in state of TN! You either come to them or good luck getting a match!

Hey DOUG, swing by the Jones Center and show us the contract. That way you don’t have to post it. ;)

1 hour ago, TheTreyB said:

Hey DOUG, swing by the Jones Center and show us the contract. That way you don’t have to post it. ;)

Hey TREY....Can you get Knox to schedule a Home/Away match with McCallie setup for the next 4 years (in January)? 1000% chance we can get Yost to agree. 

I'm with Cobra....No chance yall leave the Jones Center.

• Like 1

I feel like we do this every. Single.  Year.  

I'm not hating on Cleveland. It's a lot of things that get them where they are. Years ago I sent one of my kids to a camp there and we've competed there in FS/GR. 

Let's take a kid from a small school. He's a good,  maybe even great athlete.  He's motivated and willing to work just as hard as anyone else.  He doesn't have the best training partners. Maybe he got 2 or 3 years in a youth program before high school. He did a couple top 100 events and all the local AAU stuff. 

He gets to high school. He had to roll out mats before practice and roll them up after. Bare minimum facilities and equipment.  Decent,  but not great coaching. Average to poor training partners. He competes locally in state.  If he's lucky he gets to go an in state tournament halfway across the state a couple times a year.  He doesn't have the funds or ability to go to any big tournaments.  But he's dedicated and works out, a lot.  How far does he get? It's likely his parents can't afford to send him year round to camps or out of state tournaments.  

That's the reality for many if not most high school wrestlers.

Now,  take the same kid. When he gets to HS he has access to better training partners. Every day in practice he has 3 or 4 team mates that are hammers. Better facilities to practice (more mat time,  less time setting up,  taking down). Better coaching,  even if it's marginally better.  His team gets to travel and see there's levels to this stuff.  Out of  state tournaments against the best. Those things co$t money.   More matches against better opponents. Access to better weight room facilities and a program. 

It's the same kid in both scenarios. Which one is better at the end of his HS career? It's not just one thing. It's not just the money or the coaches.  You have to look at it holistically.  But each one of those things matters and gives you a better chance.  To say that facilities and money don't matter is absurd, they do.  So do the other things.  Cleveland has all of these advantages in great numbers. It's the same for the private schools.  

That's why when you say it's just hard work,  it falls on deaf ears and makes you look foolish. We do this every year.  

Edited by TotallynotLEO
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1