West Tennessee Head Coaching Openings

Solid points all around. Here in Dyer County, I do not think we will see a dramatic population increase from Blue Oval City but I could be wrong. We have great schools and that will be appealing. It's not an easy trip to Brownsville and most of the folks I know that choose to commute there live in other communities. However, we could see population increases due to indirect impact such as highway construction or other industry moving to west Tennessee as a result of Blue Oval City.

But then again, we have to remember that football classifications are split evenly. And according to the 23-25 classification cycle, Dyersburg missed 4A by 28 students, having only nine schools ahead of them. Covington missed 4A by 10 students, having only three schools ahead of them. 

Keep in mind that Tennessee Is in the middle of a battle over vouchers. Currently, 10,000 students who are not economically disadvantaged can enroll anywhere starting this fall. If additional legislation passes, vouchers will become universal for the 25-26 school year. This is in addition to the potential transfer rule from the TSSAA. There are a lot of factors that could DRASTICALLY change the landscape of high school football in the state. 

On 2/14/2024 at 9:52 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

Westview seems to have folks who like to talk a lot about how good they are gonna be. What was it that Yoda said - “There is no try. Do or do not”?

As a Covington fan, I think that the Region 7-3A title will go thru Dyersburg and Covington for the foreseeable future. Aside from last year’s win at Covington over Westview, I can recall that Covington and Westview were last in the same region Ty Simpson’s sophomore and junior years. At our place  in 2019, Covington won 53-7. The following year, Covington shut out Westview in Martin by a score of 48-0. 

I know that past results are not indicators of future performance, but I recall that Westview fans were touting those two teams a lot, just like they seem to be doing now. But, y’all are welcome to continue doing that.

Yall will have a good squad coming back no doubt and Dyersburg lost a lot of senior starters. Westview has 8 starters coming back on a defense that only gave up 17 points a game. Our Middle Linebacker that recorded over 100 tackles the year before last  didn't see any playing time until last 3 games of the season due to injury, so he will be back. We have a ton of offensive talent that were just Freshman and Sophomores last year Including the best WR probably in West Tn . With Sipmson at Qb the next 2- or 3-years Westview is going to be dangerous. 

8 hours ago, Primetime1 said:

Yall will have a good squad coming back no doubt and Dyersburg lost a lot of senior starters. Westview has 8 starters coming back on a defense that only gave up 17 points a game. Our Middle Linebacker that recorded over 100 tackles the year before last  didn't see any playing time until last 3 games of the season due to injury, so he will be back. We have a ton of offensive talent that were just Freshman and Sophomores last year Including the best WR probably in West Tn . With Sipmson at Qb the next 2- or 3-years Westview is going to be dangerous. 

Understand the optimism, but Dyersburg and Covington will still rule this region until Westview beats them in November. That's it! 

By the way, did Jaylen Moseley transfer from JCS?

On 2/16/2024 at 1:04 PM, tennesseeannouncer said:

Solid points all around. Here in Dyer County, I do not think we will see a dramatic population increase from Blue Oval City but I could be wrong. We have great schools and that will be appealing. It's not an easy trip to Brownsville and most of the folks I know that choose to commute there live in other communities. However, we could see population increases due to indirect impact such as highway construction or other industry moving to west Tennessee as a result of Blue Oval City.

But then again, we have to remember that football classifications are split evenly. And according to the 23-25 classification cycle, Dyersburg missed 4A by 28 students, having only nine schools ahead of them. Covington missed 4A by 10 students, having only three schools ahead of them. 

Keep in mind that Tennessee Is in the middle of a battle over vouchers. Currently, 10,000 students who are not economically disadvantaged can enroll anywhere starting this fall. If additional legislation passes, vouchers will become universal for the 25-26 school year. This is in addition to the potential transfer rule from the TSSAA. There are a lot of factors that could DRASTICALLY change the landscape of high school football in the state. 

Honestly, I think Dyersburg is one of the best kept economic secrets in the state given its location at the intersection of US 51, US 412, and Interstate 155. Most of the direct growth from Blue Oval will be in Haywood, Tipton, and Fayette Counties, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's some spillover up this way.  

7 hours ago, PurpleCat said:

Honestly, I think Dyersburg is one of the best kept economic secrets in the state given its location at the intersection of US 51, US 412, and Interstate 155. Most of the direct growth from Blue Oval will be in Haywood, Tipton, and Fayette Counties, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's some spillover up this way.  

I agree with that. And if we can get the corridor for I-69 finished northwest Tennessee will be In a great spot for growth. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I agree with that. And if we can get the corridor for I-69 finished northwest Tennessee will be In a great spot for growth. 

Very true, but with the snail's pace it's taken them to complete a small section around Union City, I'll be surprised if I ever see it go all the way to Memphis. Maybe the added boost from Blue Oval City will kick things into a higher gear for TDOT's West TN projects, but that remains to be seen.   

On 2/18/2024 at 10:04 PM, PurpleCat said:

Very true, but with the snail's pace it's taken them to complete a small section around Union City, I'll be surprised if I ever see it go all the way to Memphis. Maybe the added boost from Blue Oval City will kick things into a higher gear for TDOT's West TN projects, but that remains to be seen.   

No kidding!! The 4 lane from SF to UC, the Purchase Parkway through West KY, both already limited access 4 lane roads, a decade later, looks the same, still not even close to finishing. My grandkids won't see I-69 make it through TN. Ridiculous. 

On 2/16/2024 at 1:04 PM, tennesseeannouncer said:

Wow, did not realize how close both schools already were to 4A already. Just for conversation; if pushed to 4A, would either team want apply to move back to 3A if say maybe they were only over the limit by a couple of kids? Or would they relish moving up? Advantages/disadvantages to doing so? (besides Alcoa)

I will outright admit I neither know nor even barely understand all of the politico behind the scenes with TSSAA. Their actual connection to the pure education side of things either. That said, how will the 10,000 be selected/allowed? How is that different than kids transferring now? Application? Non-econ challenged; does this mean basic high income private school kids that I'm assuming go where they want anyhow? Or does this just open the door wider for Division 2 to steal more public school talent? Or is the 10k for public schools as a back door for the "special school district" rules, that around NW TN appear to be run like a protectionary private club, that allows them to enforce things they want to shun on the front page of the local newspaper, yet allow what they want behind the scenes without the scrutiny?

No disrespect to the thread starter here. My intention is not to veer so far off the topic of coaching changes, you just mentioned an interesting tidbit I'd like to know more about if you have time.

2 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

Wow, did not realize how close both schools already were to 4A already. Just for conversation; if pushed to 4A, would either team want apply to move back to 3A if say maybe they were only over the limit by a couple of kids? Or would they relish moving up? Advantages/disadvantages to doing so? (besides Alcoa)

I will outright admit I neither know nor even barely understand all of the politico behind the scenes with TSSAA. Their actual connection to the pure education side of things either. That said, how will the 10,000 be selected/allowed? How is that different than kids transferring now? Application? Non-econ challenged; does this mean basic high income private school kids that I'm assuming go where they want anyhow? Or does this just open the door wider for Division 2 to steal more public school talent? Or is the 10k for public schools as a back door for the "special school district" rules, that around NW TN appear to be run like a protectionary private club, that allows them to enforce things they want to shun on the front page of the local newspaper, yet allow what they want behind the scenes without the scrutiny?

No disrespect to the thread starter here. My intention is not to veer so far off the topic of coaching changes, you just mentioned an interesting tidbit I'd like to know more about if you have time.

Unless I am missing something you cannot move down a classification. The TSSAA selects the day that the schools report their enrollment and the classifications are set accordingly.

This fall, Tennessee's voucher program will extend to 20,000 students. 10,000 will receive priority based on need. The other 10,000 can be any students for any reason. I am not sure where the TSSAA stands in all of this but I would assume that any of these 10,000 students would have immediately eligibility to participate in their new athletic programs.