Summit gets Cleveland in Round 1

fooseball95

I want to point out a few things.

1. Enough folks complained about the ridiculousness of a 16 man bracket being wrestled over the course of 3 days and now we have a 2 day tournament again. I do think if the T$$AA received enough complaints they would adjust the criteria next year. I mean they already changed it from last year with you now have to not only have placed last year to be seeded but you now also have to win your region and section duals. I’m sure that changed because folks complained about section winners being seeded that didn’t win their region duals. So I’m optimistic they would listen if enough people voiced their dissatisfaction. 

2. Can you imagine if the football playoffs were seeded based off how you far you made it in the playoffs the prior year? And then they just did a random draw for any teams that didn’t make the semi finals or something like that? Just listen to how ludicrous that sounds and picture the uproar. Well that’s what they’ve done with the state duals and we’re just saying, “it is what it is.” 

3. Honest question regarding the cow poop palace. How did the private schools get the T$$AA to approve them having their individual tournament at MBA and the public schools get left with having to continue to compete in a cold expo park on a dirt floor where some cow sh¡+ a few days prior to rolling the mats out? I’m sure these kids and coaches would rather wrestle at a nice public school with a big arena than this poop palace even if the T$$AA isn’t willing to secure somewhere nice for them like McKenzie, Thompson Boling, Bridgestone, Memorial at Vandy, MTSU, FedEx Forum, etc. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, werazzlin said:

Here is the deal. The coaches can make suggestions to have in state rules changed. Type them up and present them at the coaches meeting. 

suggest that tssaa change to year by year seeding for the dual championship. 

I would rather see it in writing up front.. like they do with football bracket or basketball bracket. ex. section 1 champ goes on this line. section 2 champ goes on this line. section 3 runner up goes on this line. that will stop all the debate as everyone will know where they fall. 

There are no section champs  just section winners as it stands today .  You would first have to determine section champs , after you did that then the Draws for which Section Champ wrestles another section runner up would need to be random which would still provide a very real possibility for the two best teams being on the same side , they would wrestle each other in the Semis vs the 1st round, potentially. 

Edited by dbradford
misspelling
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, littlejohnny said:

I want to point out a few things.

1. Enough folks complained about the ridiculousness of a 16 man bracket being wrestled over the course of 3 days and now we have a 2 day tournament again. I do think if the T$$AA received enough complaints they would adjust the criteria next year. I mean they already changed it from last year with you now have to not only have placed last year to be seeded but you now also have to win your region and section duals. I’m sure that changed because folks complained about section winners being seeded that didn’t win their region duals. So I’m optimistic they would listen if enough people voiced their dissatisfaction. 

The reason it should make sense is that some regions are way less talented than say a region with Cleveland and Bradley (in the good ole days, not this year).  I mean in regards to people complaining about the seeding after the sectionals were put in place.  To me the sectionals were to eliminate the losers and allow more competitive state duals brackets (and time).

8 minutes ago, dbradford said:

There are no section champs  just section winners as it stands today .  You would first have to determine section champs , after you did that then the Draws for which Section Champ wrestlers another section runner up would need to be random which would still provide a very real possibility for the two best teams being on the same side , they would wrestle each other in the Semis vs the 1st round, potentially. 

yes, this is what I believe as well, the potential for a bad draw still will exist each year.

14 minutes ago, dbradford said:

There are no section champs  just section winners as it stands today .  You would first have to determine section champs , after you did that then the Draws for which Section Champ wrestles another section runner up would need to be random which would still provide a very real possibility for the two best teams being on the same side , they would wrestle each other in the Semis vs the 1st round, potentially. 

According to TSSAA you have to be returning medalist team as well as a region and sectional champ. So technically the only team that should be seeded is Cleveland. Because neither Halls or DB are sectional champs because they didn’t wrestle. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, desselle said:

According to TSSAA you have to be returning medalist team as well as a region and sectional champ. So technically the only team that should be seeded is Cleveland. Because neither Halls or DB are sectional champs because they didn’t wrestle. 

we are commenting on this from different places, while you are understandably not real thrilled with how the brackets ended up this year I am attempting to explain the potential issues with Jeff's suggestion, or at least my opinion  of the potential issues that could also cause/create.

5 minutes ago, dbradford said:

we are commenting on this from different places, while you are understandably not real thrilled with how the brackets ended up this year I am attempting to explain the potential issues with Jeff's suggestion, or at least my opinion  of the potential issues that could also cause/create.

I agree. I’m just saying there are only a few section champs. Everyone else won section matches. So to get the true section champ teams like DB and Halls have to wrestle or if Green Hill would have beat Brentwood then us and GH wrestle. We are going to have to beat them if we want to win it. I would have rather seen them in the finals. 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:00 PM, FrecoFanatic said:

Rankings are just someone’s opinion and last year’s results are just that, last year’s results. If they really want to do it right, the 16 teams that competed (or did not) yesterday should be split into two 8-team sub-state tournaments that take place the week before the state tournament. The four region winners in each sub-state are separated by blind draw and you wrestle a one day bracketed tournament with a true second format. The two winners of the two sub-state tournaments are the 1 and 2 seed at the state. The two runner-ups cross over and are the 3 and 4 seeds. The third and fourth place teams also cross over. This gives the best seeding possible with no opinions or history needed to be taken into account.

I stand by my solution.

• Upvote 1

I agree that a better way is and will be implemented….but how long will it be before someone gets all out of whack over being seeded wrong again? Guys every year someone gets overlooked for MOW at state. To me the coaches need to put in place what THEY feel is fair and live with it. Leave this to the coaches because we as fans do not always manage the best decisions looking in from the outside.