2024 Heritage Mountaineers

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

When Danny was a senior he was the quarterback on the 82 team and also the placeholder on extra points. At the end of the game Heritage scored a touchdown with very little time left and went ahead 9-0. On the following extra point Danny rose up and threw a perfect pass to one of his receivers which made it 11-0 and Heritage's first win against Maryville since the series started in 77. Maryville fans were highly ticked off because they felt like it was rubbing salt in the wound. The following year when both teams met again at Maryville  the Rebels ran away with the game and after the first couple of touchdowns they went for two points after each score for a pay back and the score was 45-0 at halftime. The following Monday Bob Gilbert the sports eiditor for the local paper bashed Maryville in an article called the Humilation of Teenagers and tore into Maryville even though he was a graduate of the school. Those were the good ole days when Heritage had decent teams and the rivalry between them and Maryville was a fun event to see.

Barn eye thaink Coach Story viewed tha reeplay ov Hairatige's two point paiss minny times and hit didun't set two well.....Tha give away thait hit wuz planned wuz when'st thair kickur didn't evun try two kick hit, he wint emmediately ovur two block Mairvul's rush....Sew hit wuz no dowt a "salt rubbin" wif Hairtige bein' upp bye 2 scorrs wif less thain a cupple minnetts left....and tha rest iz histree.....:popcorneater:

22 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

I think I remember that the Rebels missed their second extra point making it 13-0 and thus having good reason to go for 2 when they scored again, making it 21-0.  But, they continued to go for 2 for the next 4 scores before halftime.  At that point, everyone knew a statement was being made.

Exactly right OR2. I say it was our sick kicker’s fault! In fairness, the ‘82 f’n hairtage team was good. The ‘83 team played ALOT of sophs.

I will never forget the 1983 Heritage vs Maryville game. I remember driving home and listening to WGAP. Can't remember the announcers name. He asked Coach Story why he kept going for 2? Story told him " Why didn't you ask Renfro that last year"

2 hours ago, REBELRON said:

I will never forget the 1983 Heritage vs Maryville game. I remember driving home and listening to WGAP. Can't remember the announcers name. He asked Coach Story why he kept going for 2? Story told him " Why didn't you ask Renfro that last year"

RR, you might remember. Didn’t someone hide the kicking shoe that game? It seems I remember we had missed a kick the week before, and we needed all the points we could get. We thought we had a better chance going for two, so $?&@$ hid the shoe after the first miss that game. No one on our sideline looked for it very hard.

14 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

What is the O/U for the total wins for the Mountaineers this year?

I would put the line at 3.5

Heritage may be better this year but the schedule is tough. Hearing they will move down to 4 A next year which will help the situation. They have a good coach and he has proven he will hang around and see this thing through.