Your fondest sports memory

Rustynail

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacking the quarterback for the two time defending state champion and seeing the ball come out from his grip and us recovering in the end zone to take a 14-7 lead and win. Before that game we had lost to them 28-0, 14-0 (playoffs), 42-7, 17-0, 34-14 (semi-finals) and we beat them at their home on their senior night...when we were a freshman we promised ourselves we would beat them before we graduated, and we did, later beat them in the playoffs 7-0.

I got it on video, and the news piece on it. ;)

For me it was going 5-5 with a homerun in a little league baseball game.Another feat was striking out the 1st 16 batters I faced in a little league game. I lost that game 2-1 because I walked the 17th batter and the next guy jacked one over the fence to win it for them.

My favorite Maryville High School moment was watching Maryville beat Brentwood Academy in 1976 27-0. That game was special because my oldest brother was the starting quarterback for Maryville that year.My brother was offensive MVP in that game.

As a player: 1) My first collegiate football start at Campbellsville University. I had been a backup for 3 seasons. It was a culmination of dedication and hard work, plus it proved all the naysayers in my home town wrong. 2) The 1994 game vs. Cumberland College Ky. We were down 20 - 0 with 3:47 left in the game. Came back and won 23 - 20. I felt anything was possible on that day. 3) Beating Georgetown College Ky. in 1992. The win that gave C-ville its first Mid South Conference Championship. I still wear my ring everyday. 4) My first start in high school, again proving the naysayers in my own family wrong. As a coach: 1) When at Hancock Co. Ky. beating the defending AA State Champs Owensboro Catholic at Rash Stadium in the second round of the playoffs. 2) Beating my hometown school in a JV game 21 - 20. As a fan: 1) Watching C-ville beat Georgetown in 1998 for our second Mid South title. 2) Watching my Dad play softball as a kid. He would dive for balls, run into fences, and hustle his butt off. He taught me how to sell out for the game. This is a great thread. Everybody has sports memories that make them feel alive. Thanks for letting us share ours with each other.

Rebelron, "Frye" was a competitor. As a matter of fact, so were all of those '76 Rebels.

The 1970 game between Maryville and Loudon was my favorite memory. Although I was only a young spectator, it was an unbelieveable game. The game was played at Loudon and Loudon was the defending state AA champion. Loudon jumped out to a 28-7 halftime lead. It looked as though the game would be a laugher for them. The second half was a different story. Former Cleveland coach Benny Monroe and then MHS offensive coordinator, found a weakness in the Loudon pass defense in the second half. The Rebs behind All-State QB Tommy Beaver and WR Benny Davis lead MHS all the way back to a wild 35-28 win. Coach Story's defense also came up big in the second half. The win sent MHS to a perfect 12-0 season and the TSSAA AA championship. From that game on, Red and Black got in my blood. Go Rebs.

[Edited by STARSNBARS on 4-26-03 2:03P]

Posted by BAVol:

Lance Phillip's TD pass to Bo Clift with no time left in first half to put BA ahead of Clarksville NE 7-3 in the 1995 5A quarterfinals.

Ditto. Except I though it was Ryan Huskey. Heck, you'd know...you were a Junior and I was a 5th-grader.

Also...

UT 20, Florida 17 OT -- I was there, but didn't charge the field. :o