football blowouts

footballfan007

what does everything think about blowouts in football? i hear people complain that you shouldn't run the score up on someone because it is bd sportsmanship i agree to a point but then if you can't handle a beating why bother? teams who pull their starters out early usually get beat the next week and i think it's because their starters are rusty from being pulled too soon but if u keep them in too long u risk losing a star player in a game already won.also i hear oh near the end put the jv in and tell them try not to score like in the mitchell game they won 81 to 0.that is really dumb if a kid practices then he should play and get a chance to grow and score and things like that i would not want to be told oh play hard but don't score i would not want to practice then.i played in illinois in a blowout we mixed in our non starters with starters so they got much need experience it was great.in illinois because too many people complained of this they got a 40 point rule i think it is.after the second quarter if a team is up by 40 then the clock doesn't stop for nothing no out bounds no incomplete pass nothing to me that takes time away from non starters playing i do not like the idea at all.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Steve Spurrier was coaching the Gators, he said that he is not going to tell his 2nd teamers, etc. not to score. The way he sees it, these kids work hard during practice and deserve the opportunity to show what they can do.....whether a blow-out is in progress or not.

By the way...I don't agree with your assessment that the starters usually get beat the next week after being pulled early. This gives the starters a chance to rest, as well as developing some quality talent and depth.

My theory is... Its not always the winning teams fault for a blowout. I have seen a blowout before, and it was because the defense couldnt stop the run. The winning team, in this case it was Hunters Lane over Stratford back in the 90's, the Spartans couldnt stop the run. The warriors ran the ball up the middle all second half, and continued to score. What is HL supposed to do?? If they break away, purposely fall down? Or after the snap, to just take a knee. If the defense cant stop the other team from scoring, then there really isnt much you can do about it. I disagree if the winning team starts to throw the ball for TD's, but for a run play up the middle continuesly, well...

In the first half of the season I believe you should play your starters longer no matter the score. My reasons for this is that the offense is getting much needed reps with the ball, also if a player dose go down you may have him back for playoffs. Now I don't meen playing starters in the 4th when you are up by 40, but if you feel like things arn't clicking in the 3rd leave them in. As to telling a team not to score. I have never heard of such a thing, and would never ask a kid not to.

I remember Coach Richard Ross at Jackson Central Merry kicking long field goals on first down to control a blowout. The 2nd and 3rd team played primarily defence and kickoffs. The starters would sit on the bench. I remember one time him calling for me to go back in late in a blowout game for an injured player and i had already taken off my cleats. He let me have it.

You can do nothing except promote the thought to the coaches that they should limit the score by playing the younger kids. It takes a gentleman’s agreement before or even during the game. Should a blowout be the case both will play 2nd & 3rd strings, opposite each other. Starters who have been pummeled might take their anger of aggression out on an un-suspecting underclassman and cause injury. Coach’s clinics and bodies like the TSSAA should hold talks on this subject during their meetings. After all they are all just kids and it would promote sportsmanship, something beginning to disappear in today’s game.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching. You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons." Vince Lombardi

I came from California, and in California if a team is getting blown out the ref talks to both coaches at the half and if both agree they make it a running clock. This means that the clock runs through timeouts and incomplete passes. The only time it stops if for injury. This made games that would have been 70 to 0 only 40 to 0.

You cannot tell your 2nd / 3rd team not to try to score. It is not right to them. I don't agree with leaving the starters in and trying to pass every play, but in my opinion it is not my job to stop me it is the other teams job. If they can't do it its their problem. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to embarass a kid, but they need to work harder to ensure that a blowout will not happen.

i think the idea of mixing starters and 1st-stringers is interesting. i like the idea of letting a sophomore offensive lineman with little to no experience go in for a series or two and play next to a 2 time all-region senior. it seems to me like it would provide the perfect scenario for underclassmen to see what it takes to be successful. and i've actually played in games where the clock didn't stop for during the second half or maybe just the 4th quarter. i see no problem with it as long as both coaches are in agreement, because it really does keep the game from getting out of control.

The only time I would ever "run the score up" on someone is if they have done it to me in the past. I believe in the old addage "what goes around comes around". That being said if I am ever in the situation where I am up by 6 TD's at the half then I tell my starters to take off their shoulder pads and just wear jerseys. Let the other kids get some PT, they work just as hard as the starters. Also I would NEVER try to pass in that situation, that shows bad sportsmanship. We were playing a JV game against Baylor when I first started coaching and they scored on the last play of the game. They were only ahead by a touchdown when it happened. Just a simple draw play up the middle. After the game the head coach from Baylor came across the field and apologized to our coaching staff. He didn't think that they would score, they were just trying to run the clock out. I told him that it was no problem that it was a good play. That there showed me that he has alot of class about himself, to apologize for something that he didn't have to.