Oakland @ Franklin

FHSrebel27

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helllloooo??? Oakland fans where are you? Seen more of you on the Lincoln County/Riverdale threads than on this one. Have you given up already? Week 2 is over fellas, time to focus on this one.

It just hit me how many non-region games there are involving Regions 5 and 6 vs Region 4. Franklin/Oakland...Brentwood/Blackman...Gallatin/Smyrna. Add in Region 3 vs 4 and you have several others, mainly LC/Riverdale. Region 4 might not win a single one of those. Shows how much growth can affect your programs.

Franklin's defenses has been suspect the first two games, but Friday was a good pick-me-up for them... I think Oakland is feeling the effect of Siegel in the school's first year when usually that isn't the case... The Pats are always one of those teams that's going to compete at a high level, but I'm just not convinced that they're very good this year... with only 31 players out this season, you're not going to be able to win those big games when you need fresh guys in the fourth quarter... I mean, come on... even small 1A schools like CPA and FRA have 40ish every year, and it's a struggle for them... but for 5A Oakland to only have 31?? I think this one could get ugly if Franklin plays well defensively... we've already seen the Rebs have the ability to score... we knew they would... but the question will be can the defense step up in the big games... Oakland is this week, then off to Clarksville, a week off and then the gauntlet begins... and mark my words Franklin fans... Centennial is no slouch... Friday's score against Ravenwood could have been much worse... The Cougars are a very deceiving 1-2... anyway... those are my two cents... or 10, however you want to look at it... LOL...

See, this is why I wish you would post more often. Such insight in all of your posts. So the question of the week appears to be Franklin's defense as everyone is saying. Franklin fans, answer me this. I haven't really payed much attention until Friday night. Has Coach J always called the defensive plays or after the past two weeks did he decide to take it over? I've seen plenty of head coaches do that before so I was just curious.

Off the subject, didn't Ravenwood get down to the redzone at least twice without scoring?

Yeah... the Raptors can be a dangerous team when they want to be... a lot of talented skill people but just no experience to push them over the hump... but don't be fooled... Centennial dominated them... if this tells you anything, Curtis Steele carried twice in the first quarter, rolled up 125 yards and two touchdowns... but Ravenwood certainly is not a team to be taken lightly...

The Tennessean shows only 31 players on Oakland's Roster....Can that be right?

I, also am puzzled, by the numbers out for football for Oakland, according to the tssaa.org web site Oakland has the biggest enrollment in the state, although I know that the new school took away some players and students from them, you would think that a school that size with a tradition in football would have no problem having at least 50 or more kids out for football. You might even think that the kids that were on the fence about whether or not to play would have come out after Segel raided the team and got players. :rolleyes:

Guest region4fan

The # of kids at Oakland has decreased drastically. Their actual enrollment this year is 1400, very close to 4A numbers. The TSSAA site info has not been updated. Check the Rutherford County site.There has been a dramatic influx of foreign kids ( hispanics) within that 1400. Siegel took about 800 kids from the enrollment. They moved the zone lines and some of Riverdale's area went to Oakland.Those kids could choose to stay at Riverdale if they were jrs or srs. We were fortunate to get AJ Alexander from Riverdale, who is a senior. The others stayed put. We lost 17 or more football players to Siegel. Most requested zone exemptions to stay put at OHS, but were denied.

I also must say that Coach U has discipline on his team. If you don't follow the rules, you don't stay on the team. The kids playing on this team now are dedicated, focused, and well-disciplined. If the numbers are small, so be it. What is left is coachable and QUALITY!