Chattanooga Area's Best Coach

ProHScout

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lookin from the inside view jones is the best. i know that bein in the school now and the atmosphere that is at central about the team is totaly different now. two years ago when you would say the word playoffs it would be followed by a laugh or two but now its becoming common place. jones is a great coach and has done so much for this school on and off the field. ok so they have played some bad teams but you have to relize that 3 of those even wins were within the region and we cant change that. what is the excuse for us shutting down powell? the fact is that central has gone from a luaghing stoke to someone that you have to prepare for if you want to win. i would like to point somethin out also about the powell game. if jones wouldnt have been such a nice guy by takeing out odam and newby from the defensive line they wouldnt have scored. he took them two out and powell drove down field. he put them back in on about the 25 and the qb got pressured and took off on a scramble and dumped it off for a short pass that they ran down to about the 4. if he hadnt have done that they would have went 3 and out like they did most of the night. face it....jones is bringin central back and thats why he is the best.

purplepounderfootball.. i have to agree with you. Coach Jones has done a lot for the football program at Central. When football was spoken of, it was always a laugh. It takes a lot for a coach to come in and take nothing and try to make something like this of it in only two years. I think that everyone is starting to realize all of the contributions he is making and has made.

Edited by gochattcentral

Not just being partial to Coach Jones because I am a Central fan. Just two years ago their record was 0-10.. Now, they're in the play-offs. Yeah, Central did lose to Rhea County and Cleveland this year, of which they should've beaten. But look at where they are now.. Friday night I think that a lot was realized about the potential of the Purple Pounder football program. Coach Jones has got to be the best coach in the Chattanooga area because he's turned it around from nothing to a whole lot in 2 years. He's a dedicated coach always trying to better the team.

The Tyner coach is not the best in the area. He got lucky to have the group of athletes he does. Yeah, he does some coaching, but when you have that much talent- it's hard to lose.

Coach Turner took Tyner from being a 5-5 team year in and year out, to being as consistent as anyone in the area. Since 96' Tyner has won 7 out of eight region championships and has made two state final appearances. Tyner beat Central by 31 points without Demonte Bolden. Everyone talks about how athletic Central is, so how did they get blown out by a short handed Tyner team? I would think that coaching would have something to do with it.

It has to be Aiken, not only has he lost lots of talent, but they also lost one of those "intangibles" two years ago.  Their campus minister left and went to another school.  Does anybody know where he went?

H e R e . . . . .

is my VoTe!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that it is Aiken at BB, and your intangible coment is true. They lost a guy named Bob Spayed to Lipscomb who was very much the heart and soul of that program, and for that matter, maybe even the entire school. Bob was the campus minister at BB, but did far more than minister to the campus. He practically ran the school, K-12. I hear most of all the good service projects doen in the greater Chattanooga area were due to Bob's visionary leadership. He was a lot like what you see in colleges with strength coaches; he was involved in everything frmo on the field stuff (I think he even called the secondary coverages in some games) to off the fiedl stuff (he knew the problems the kids had before they ever happened!).

He has a similar role at Lipscomb. He is the pre-game motivator, the post-game prayer leader, and I hear he coaches the LB's. He's also at every school function the school does too.

I take back my vote for Aiken and give it to Bob Spayed, even though he's no longer in the Chattanooga area.

L

O

V

E . . . . you guys.

I will add Ken Colquette to the list. Four state champioships at Marion in the 90's and the Warriors have not won a playoff games sice he left. Although he has not won as much at Grundy he is the only team in that region to win playoff games in the last two years. I could not tell you when somebody besides Grundy won a playoff game in thier region. Mid way through this year I thought he had lost his team and would not be able to get them playing for him again. This past Fridays' win over Trousdale proved that he was able to get them to play well against a quality team. If this team was healthy (had Cooke, Anderson, Price, etc) they would likely be 10-1 at this point and have a real good shot of playing in the boro. Friday night they play a very good Macon Co. team in round 2 two. With a win Grundy will return to the quarterfinals for the first time in almost 10 years. Maybe the boro is not out of sight for this team. They have some great players with a lot of heart and a coaching staff that will work day and night to prepare for this Friday. I will end with this, I would not bet against Colquette and the Jackets or you might just be left scratching your head just as Brentwood Academy was a few years back when they left their runner-up trophy sitting in the bleachers at Vanderbilt.