Top teams in 1a next season

pujo

Don't count out the Pirates.  I don't see them knocking off Boyd but the should compete nonetheless.

Did Trousdale move up in classification in order to bypass the privates?

Because of enrollment they had to move up to 2A, I think they selected 3A as there were more local rivalries possible (Portland, Smith County etc).

As an aside, the 97,98 Trousdale Teams could have hung with anybody in 1A today.

Edited by OnlineLC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't count out the Pirates. I don't see them knocking off Boyd but the should compete nonetheless.

Did Trousdale move up in classification in order to bypass the privates?

Trousdale...at the time of reclassification had a 2a enrollment. They moved up to 3a so they could play in the same region with local teams which would bring huge gates. They along with Smith County, Upperman, Jackson County, Cannon County, York, did the same. In the 2a region would have been GP and DL, possibly Westmoreland, Houston County, Stewart County, East Robertson, Station Camp. It was mostly a financial and also a rivalry move. It was a no-brainer move for them and us.

Thanks for the props Flossie ,but little Jerry has alot of work ahead of him before he becomes another Byrd. We do seem to have several talented young kids coming up. Only time will tell. As far as our highschool team goes, we have the kids in school to be a pretty good team ,but I think several of the future lineman have desided not to play. Don,t want to work hard enough to be good, only two lineman are working ,everyone but the lineman are working. We could have our first 0 abd 10 team. WHAT A SHAME. This is what seperates the publics from the privates.

Thank you!

I hope I don't get this thread moved (I know my comments won't but too many replies will)

I was berated on another thread when I mentioned that my personal experience with the difference between public and private schools was, in general, work ethic. I was speaking in general terms and about my experience and received a reply that private schools haven't cornered the market on work ethic. (I know that.)

It is nice to see someone on the public school side of the debate voice the same opinion.

Boyd Buchanan should do okay next year. They lose the D-line (and a couple of O-Line) a line backer and a safety. Some of the positions should be covered, but I don't think the defense will be as dominant.

The good news is that the coaches could have had more shut out games, but they allowed the younger guys to get some playing time and they gave up points this year, but gained valuable experience.

I suspect that the offense will put up as many points next year and that the defense will give up about 14 points more per game. If you apply that logic to this year… BBS has the same wins up to the SP play-off game and SP would have won by 1 point.

The last time I checked...Trousdale was still in 3a. I don't think they will be a factor in 1a next year. B) I don't think they could beat the privates even if they were.

Reread my post, Antwan. I said WHEN Trousdale Co was in 1A, they beat the privates more often than not. Coach Satterfield and his staff always had his teams prepared, had great game plans, and maximized his players potential, just as he is doing in 3A now. THAT's what wins championships. And, I've got to believe he stresses off-season conditioning. I agree with OnlineLC that most any of the teams he had in the 90's WHEN they were in 1A could be right in the thick of things now in 1A. I know, because I saw 3 of those teams beat good CPA teams in the quarterfinals of 1A playoffs in 3 consecutive years. Not only beat, but often DOMINATE. All with kids that got off the yellow school bus.

It's a shame to hear that, Pujo. What I see at Cloudland is laziness, lack of interest, and lack of character. Kids would rather smoke dope and party than strive for a purpose. It was the same way when I played. Only me and park rangers son dedicated ourselves to the weight room. I was obsessed with the state title. The other idiots didn't give a crap. Some people on this board say I have no morals or class because I post things like this, but its the truth. Our fans need to open their eyes and see why we really don't win state titles. We had a great run the last four years, but could've won the state 10 years ago. The way of champions is the way of pain. That means comittment 365 days a year. Our boys lay around and get fat all winter and then expect to contend for a title. Bull butter! It don't work that way. I would give anything if we had 11 guys who made a covenant to work their butt off from December to Aug. but I don't think we will ever see that. What a shame.

It's a shame to hear that, Pujo. What I see at Cloudland is laziness, lack of interest, and lack of character. Kids would rather smoke dope and party than strive for a purpose. It was the same way when I played. Only me and park rangers son dedicated ourselves to the weight room. I was obsessed with the state title. The other idiots didn't give a crap. Some people on this board say I have no morals or class because I post things like this, but its the truth. Our fans need to open their eyes and see why we really don't win state titles. We had a great run the last four years, but could've won the state 10 years ago. The way of champions is the way of pain. That means comittment 365 days a year. Our boys lay around and get fat all winter and then expect to contend for a title. Bull butter! It don't work that way. I would give anything if we had 11 guys who made a covenant to work their butt off from December to Aug. but I don't think we will ever see that. What a shame.

Flossie, since I have found you in one of you "better" moods, I would like to ask you a question or two. First, is it really that bad in Roan Mtn.? From what I saw, and felt, some of you underclassmen were pretty good. I don't think there will ever be a 0-10 season at Cloudland. One more thing. I know its way to early, but I would like to modify you 1-A predictions: 1-Cloudland 2-Unaka 3-North Greene 4-Jelico 5-Cosby

Oneida will have a good team. They are losing a lot of their starting line, but that will be taken care of. We lose Grigsby at WR/DB, one of our two best receivers this year. We lose one fullback but have three guys competing for that job, all equally qualified, just depends on who works harder. Zach Smith, a big playmakers will be back at QB and DB and Rhyne Douglas will be recovered from his torn ACL. The receiving corps aren't looking bad either, there's plenty of guys who could get playing time there. flossie, it's sad to hear that from Roan Mt.

The King has replace Flossie, and he'll answer your question. Yes, it is that bad. I seen this day coming 3 years ago. Our talented starters were practicing one day, and the boys that are going to be our varsity in 2004 were all sitting on their helmets. Could you imagine Johnny Orr letting players sit on their helmets? Our coaching staff says that can't be as rough on today's kids or they will quit. Well ya know what? I say we should'nt even have a football program if all we have is a bunch of quitters. This past years lineman were all big babies, except for Jeff Lunceford and Dane Christman. I have all the respect in the world for these boys. Our coaches are good people, but I've lost respect for them as coaches. They don't push our players hard, because they are afraid they will quit. The momma's boys ruin it for tough players that want to win a title like Mark, Dakota, and Dane. If it wasn't for Mark Byrd, our team would have crumble long before the CAK game. This years team will have a hard road ahead, because they know nothing about discipline. Pujo know whats going on even more than I do. I don't know if he agrees with everything I just said, but he'll tell you its gonna be a rough year.

As long as the privates are in 1A it will take a miracle for the publics to win. Look at all the teams that people are predicting to win in 1A. No publics. Statistics will show that the publics should win by the numbers. There are many more public schools than privates. I went to see the slaughter of Cloudland by Ezell-Harding and there is no amount of hard work that would have prevented it. I loved the movie Rudy when the coach said you can't put in what God left out. The privates have a bigger talent pool to gather from. Mark Byrd was an awesome player, but Ezell-Harding had at least 6 to 8 players of his caliber. I didn't say they recruit. I don't think it is a matter of coaches contacting parents as it is parents contacting the schools because they want to send their children to what they think is the best school in their area.

That year was an exception, but this year the Landers could have won the state. There would have been no slaughter. Public schools have won state titles before(Trousdale and South Pitt). Those teams have discipline. It can be done. They work hard at the privates. The parents send their kids there, because there is a standard to go by. There is discipline or else. Kids around here don't care about football unless its on Xbox. Its a shame.

I thought the reason Cloudland couldn't win a state championship is because of all the pri***e sch**ls (can't say that on this board) in 1A.