Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

The Best Team in the state is the Huntingdon Mustangs.

They did not only win, but they played with their soul. All

through the year these boys were the under dogs. When

they went up against Milan, alot thought they didn't have

a chance. Milan even went as far as reserving Murray's

field to practice on. In my opinion, you don't count your

chickens before they hatch!! So when Huntingdon went

to reserve the field up in Murray they had a surprise, it

was reserved by Milan, which didn't need it anymore.

I am proud of this "under dog" team", Huntingdon, they

showed what they are (they don't give up) and how you

Can win if your soul and mind are in the right place! Way

to go MUSTANGS!!! Great season.

Ok...now I give up for sure. :D

This is a great thread, guys!!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horse manure? It's the truth. You can deny it all you want, but it is the truth. We have eight teams in our region. That leaves us three games. In Franklin's case, as long as TJ is there, we'll play Lincoln County. That leaves two games on the schedule. I'd rather see Oakland and Columbia on the schedule. A good 5A school and a good rivalry game with a 4A school.

As far as being physically overmatched... ask Brentwood how much our lack of size has to do with anything. Heck, ask Germantown. They didn't exactly dominate us either and they're huge. Franklin will never be physically overmatched.

Geez, where are the other 5A folks at? I know I'm not the only one who has these thoughts.

Duh. You have more teams and therefore more good teams. I'd be willing to bet that 5A competition corresponds to the percentages you assign the Super Seven. 2/7 to 3/7 of the league is either really good or pretty good. But you yourself claim that in DII-AAA, those below the top 3 are "just average." Our worst teams are average. Your worst teams are far below average. Thus, team-for-team the Super Seven is a better league.

Exactly. We're better just because of our numbers. Thank you.

No, Wes, you obviously didn't read what I said. You guys like to say that the entire Super 7 could hang with the top teams in 5A. We'll say the top 7 teams in 5A. That's just not the case. Right? That might very well be just because we have quite a few more teams to be up there at the top... then don't say that ALL your teams could beat those top 7. Father Ryan would have been killed by all of the 5A quarterfinalists.

Geez, where are the other 5A folks at? I know I'm not the only one who has these thoughts.

FHSrebel, I agree with you.

I have stated earlier that Lincoln County could have been competitive with any of the private schools this year....and on a given night, they could have probably beaten any of them.

Something that has not been brought up, so far, on this thread is another MAJOR consideration when a 5A school schedules a private school. It is usually a "home and away" arrangement. The private schools NEVER bring a crowd like most 5A schools bring. Franklin vs. Lincoln County has become a much anticipated game, and each school takes a pretty good crowd on the road. I know LC wouldn't want to give that up for a game with anyone who didn't have a good following.

Redtwin, Please don't make excuses for MBA losing to DB in 2001. Even if it was your worst team in 15 yrs. In your argument, DII is stronger than DI, so you still should of won the game. You said DB went on to finish strong. I don't think losing to a 5-5 team in the first round of the playoffs is finishing up strong. But we did end MBA's 34 game win streak at their house. In 2002 MBA came to DB and played in the best high school game I have ever witnessed. MBA won by 3pts. in three overtimes. MBA went on to win the Div. II State Championship, and DB lost to Riverdale in the simifinal of 5A. The 2 schools have only met 4 times, with DB winning 3. In no way am I trying to say DB is better than MBA, or any other school in Tennessee. But I am saying that they are as good, year in and year out. I also think there are a lot of other public schools that can make the same claim. I won't list them for fear of leaving someone out.

Waco,

My point was not to make excuses for the loss. My point was that when comparing teams, its hard to compare a team that loses 5 or 6 games to a team that loses 2 or 3. And just for clarification, 2 of DB's wins came in 57 and 61 respectively, not exactly pertinent to this discussion.

Edited by Redtwin

Ah yes, the annual "I'm the best!" - "No your'e not" thread. ;) There are 8 best teams in Tennessee in 2003:

DI

1A Boyd Buchannan

2A Huntingdon

3A Fulton

4A Hillsboro

5A Germantown

DII

1A Southern Baptist Educational Center

2A Battle Ground Academy

3A Montgomery Bell Academy

Each team demonstrated they were the best in classification by winning a championship. Who is, or is not the best of all of these? We all have our thoughts and ideas on that subject. Undying loyalty is the essence of being a real fan. Even if we had a playoff system that funnelled all TN teams into a single championship game, some would make a case that the runner up was better on a given day.

Each of the teams above have proven their mettle on the field. Pick your personal favorite, relax, and enjoy their accomplishments!

Exactly. We're better just because of our numbers. Thank you.

No, Wes, you obviously didn't read what I said. You guys like to say that the entire Super 7 could hang with the top teams in 5A. We'll say the top 7 teams in 5A. That's just not the case. Right? That might very well be just because we have quite a few more teams to be up there at the top... then don't say that ALL your teams could beat those top 7. Father Ryan would have been killed by all of the 5A quarterfinalists.

Rebel, try to find an instance when I claimed that every team in the Super Seven could beat every team in 5A. It didn't happen. I simply provided statistics (such as DII-AAA holding a 44-20 advantage over 5A since the beginning of DII) and specific scores to support my opinion that as a whole, DII-AAA is better than 5A. Those scores include Brentwood beating Father Ryan and Franklin County defeating Baylor. But they also include many more instances of Super Seven teams knocking off 5A teams.

Don't misquote me. I'm not claiming that every team in DII is superior to every team in 5A. I'm simply going by the numbers, which clearly indicate that when Division II teams have played 5A teams, the DII squads have won 69% of the time. Thus, DII must be better as a whole. What better indicator do we have? What results do you have to back up your argument?

Both leagues are great. But judging from the facts, Division II is better.

Edited by WesVols