This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay geniuses.Let me explain this to you.

Brad Walker lives with his girlfriend and her parents in Friendsville. Darren Walker and TJ Walker moved in with their mother who lives in the Maryville city limits.Their dad lives in Friendsville.

Steven Childs family moved into the Maryville City limits.They came from Smyrna.

I heard about the Holliday kid but don't know for sure if he is in school.

The running back from Georgia was just a big rumor. It is not happening.

How is Maryville recruiting? There is nothing wrong with these kids coming to Maryville. If they move into the city they can go to Maryville. You people need to quit your crying.

Okay geniuses.Let me explain this to you.

Brad Walker lives with his girlfriend and her parents in Friendsville. Darren Walker and TJ Walker moved in with their mother who lives in the Maryville city limits.Their dad lives in Friendsville.

Steven Childs family moved into the Maryville City limits.They came from Smyrna.

I heard about the Holliday kid but don't know for sure if he is in school.

The running back from Georgia was just a big rumor. It is not happening.

How is Maryville recruiting? There is nothing wrong with these kids coming to Maryville. If they move into the city they can go to Maryville. You people need to quit your crying.

That's the point. Nobody said Maryville recruited (at least I didn't) but they do have some of the same "advantages" that the private schools do. There is no denying that!

BTW, we're not crying...we're laughing! ;)

Edited by itzme

Those players going to Maryville has nothing to do with an open zone. Those kids moved inside the city limits.

Blount County kids that live outside of the city limits that go to Maryville have to pay tuition.Tuition costs $1800. Not everybody can afford that kind of tuition. Kids that live in the Maryville city limits that go to William Blount or Heritage go for free.

Those players going to Maryville has nothing to do with an open zone. Those kids moved inside the city limits.

Blount County kids that live outside of the city limits that go to Maryville have to pay tuition.Tuition costs $1800. Not everybody can afford that kind of tuition. Kids that live in the Maryville city limits that go to William Blount or Heritage go for free.

You're being way too defensive. Most of us, certainly I, don't care what Maryville does or does not do...I'm not going to get into a debate over the fine points of how football players get "zoned" or pay tuition at Maryville. You've got a great team and a great program...this is not about you. It's about an unfair policy towards private schools.

Rebel,

I wasn't accusing Maryville of anything either. Just tongue and cheeking the sometimes outrageous statements made by some of the small public posters.

I especially like what you said about $1800 tuition. Kinda makes some of my points that the small privates really don't have any more kids to chose from than the small publics...after all, how many families can pay $5500 to $7000 a year for their kids to go to school?

REBELRON-

I think the point of this thread is they have a choice. GOVMAN in the original thread the student chose to stay in a particular school.

What is the difference in a student outside of Maryville city limits choosing to pay the tution and attend Maryville and a student choosing to pay tution and attend a private school?

I don't see a difference and that is what we are discussing in this thread.

Skeebob,

The thread that Govman started had nothing to do with tuition paying students. Brad Walker chose to live with his girlfriend and her parents. They live in Friendsville. Kids that live in Friendsville go to William Blount. His 2 younger brothers decided they wanted to go to Maryville so they moved in with their mother.Their mother lives in Maryville.A lot of people thought Brad was going to move in with his mother also.But. He wanted to go to William Blount to be with his girlfriend and stay with his teamates. I respect him for that.

The point is that Maryville does not play in single A!! I'm so sick of the privates throwing in this red herring! If the privates were interested in the competition rather that the championships they would have chosen to play against higher competition and leave the small rural schools that have no opportunity to "open zone" because of population limits. Now, I want Richland to bring in all the athletes in Giles County to play football. Let GCHS have all the basketball players, etc. Then there might be some competition against the single A privates in urban areas. If you allowed all the student population in that county transportation to either school, there might be a chance to compete with schools from the metropolitan areas.

Any system will have flaws. I guess that we have a choice. Favor the poor majority or the rich minority. Let's not use a school that plays in AAAA as an example of the problem. Show me where Collinwood has an advantage in population numbers. Show the advantage that S. Pitt has in population numbers. Show me the advantage that Moore County has in population numbers. No? You had rather use Maryville as an example. Am I wrong, did they play Hillsboro? Is Hillsboro in an area that has a total population less than 25.000 including the adults? If Maryville chose to play single A, then Cornersville and Chapel Hill might feel that there was an unfair advantage.

The sad part of this whole debate is that if some privates had chosen to just be honest about the real reasons they chose to stay in single A, there might not be as much animosity in the rural community. We may be "hicks" but we aren't stupid. The real reason is that it is in easier (less competition) to win those championships. It would be just as easy for the small public to win a championship with one single class statewide as it is to win a championship under the present system. All the red herring in the world won't fool us on that issue.

The point is that Maryville does not play in single A!! I'm so sick of the privates throwing in this red herring! If the privates were interested in the competition rather that the championships they would have chosen to play against higher competition and leave the small rural schools that have no opportunity to "open zone" because of population limits. Now, I want Richland to bring in all the athletes in Giles County to play football. Let GCHS have all the basketball players, etc. Then there might be some competition against the single A privates in urban areas. If you allowed all the student population in that county transportation to either school, there might be a chance to compete with schools from the metropolitan areas.

Any system will have flaws. I guess that we have a choice. Favor the poor majority or the rich minority. Let's not use a school that plays in AAAA as an example of the problem. Show me where Collinwood has an advantage in population numbers. Show the advantage that S. Pitt has in population numbers. Show me the advantage that Moore County has in population numbers. No? You had rather use Maryville as an example. Am I wrong, did they play Hillsboro? Is Hillsboro in an area that has a total population less than 25.000 including the adults? If Maryville chose to play single A, then Cornersville and Chapel Hill might feel that there was an unfair advantage.

The sad part of this whole debate is that if some privates had chosen to just be honest about the real reasons they chose to stay in single A, there might not be as much animosity in the rural community. We may be "hicks" but we aren't stupid. The real reason is that it is in easier (less competition) to win those championships. It would be just as easy for the small public to win a championship with one single class statewide as it is to win a championship under the present system. All the red herring in the world won't fool us on that issue.

Timeout,

Your post is exactly what I was talking about. All of those schools you mentioned have just as big a pool to pull from as the small privates. S. Pitt is actually open zoned, so their pool is even bigger. The "you have a bigger pool to chose from" argument is bogus. There just aren't that many families who are able or willing to pay $6000 a year to send their kids to a private school, and many of those chose the big prep schools rather than the small privates. Think about it before you get too much more "tired of hearing about it".

So, I would not "rather use Maryville" for a popultaion argument. Give me any decent small rural public school and the population it draws from. Then chose any small private. The numbers are similar. Population is a lame duck argument. Average student quality is a better one for you guys.

The "truly sad part of the debate" is that the small privates that chose to stay in div1 did so because they didn't give financial aid, which was why divII was created. Get your facts straight before you spout. If you check your TSSAA payoff history you will find that when that decision was made (1996 or so) there were practically NO small non-aid privates that had won State Championships in Football. So it is ludicrous to say that they chose to stay so they could win Championships...they hadn't in the past and had no reason to expect it in the future. And all the red herrings in the world won't change that fact.

Then use some schools besides Maryville.

Some rural schools could compete if they had the funds to transport students from one end of the county to the other. Give Unionville some of Cascade's athletes in basketball and they would compete with the privates. Give Cascade students that could afford to have transportation as freshmen to Cascade and they would field a more talented team. Let the two schools in Wayne County run buses from all reaches to the school of choice. Let Forrest get one or two more ability players from the south ends of the county. That might bring some relief to those that have been told that they just don't practice enough because of character flaws.

You made the point about student ability. You are correct. Privates have access to more talent. Enough said.