This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone help me with this. I have been told that male students that attend MLK (Nashville Magnet) can play football at Hillsboro or Hillwood (not sure which) because MLK does not have a football program.

That's certainly plausible. I know East Literature has a similar arrangement with Stratford. Other than noting that such a co-op should be classified on the combined enrollment (as long as enrollment is used to classify), I don't see a problem there.

Yes they do have sports programs.

How do you propose that the TSSAA tell those kids that transfer to Libert they can`t play sports?  How do you tell kids that attend Milan that aren`t from the Milan zone that they can`t play? It would have been a shame to see Rod Smith (2A Mr. Football nominee and all-state player) just walking the halls because the TSSAA told him he could not play.

Should you rethink your idea about the TSSAA making a rule that says all schools have to have zones?

Don't you think that if he was faced with that...he would have moved into Milan's zone? If those kids transfer to Liberty then they should be able to play. If you go to a school...you should be able to play there unless transfer rules are violated. If a kid transfers for academic reasons...under the guidelines of magnet schools...it should be treated as a legal transfer. There are many gray areas the way things are now. I can see how the rules could be exploited. Evidently Liberty has not done that because I have never heard of them.

All public schools should be zoned. I don't think it is right what is going on in Memphis. I also don't think it is right for kids to be able to pay tuition and go to Maryville or Milan. Their zones should be for kids in those zones.

Don't you think that if he was faced with that...he would have moved into Milan's zone? If those kids transfer to Liberty then they should be able to play. If you go to a school...you should be able to play there unless transfer rules are violated. If a kid transfers for academic reasons...under the guidelines of magnet schools...it should be treated as a legal transfer. There are many gray areas the way things are now. I can see how the rules could be exploited. Evidently Liberty has not done that because I have never heard of them.

Antwan...Liberty is in it`s first year. However, that being said last summer Jackson had a team that competed in the Dixie 14 year old world series. From that team there were several kids who all decided to go to Liberty. I can asure you that they didn`t decide that so they could be in the same technology class together. Some of those were suppose to attend JCM (among the other high schools) I`m not upset. I`m glad they had a choice. But it definitely gives them an advantage.

All public schools should be zoned. I don't think it is right what is going on in Memphis. I also don't think it is right for kids to be able to pay tuition and go to Maryville or Milan. Their zones should be for kids in those zones.

I know you don`t think it`s right, but it`s a reality. What I don`t understand is why you condone it.

I thought this was extremely funny in an ironic way.  I'm sure most of you have read it, but for those who have not:

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtopic=57728

Yeah...open enrollment doesn't really matter.. :lol:  :lol:

Ouch!! The silence on this thread is deafening! :P

BTW, Gobigred, that silence sure has turned around on this thread, hasn't it!

That's certainly plausible. I know East Literature has a similar arrangement with Stratford. Other than noting that such a co-op should be classified on the combined enrollment (as long as enrollment is used to classify), I don't see a problem there.

Madison Academic kids can play football at JCM. I think one kid did play.

Yes they do have sports programs.

How do you propose that the TSSAA tell those kids that transfer to Libert they can`t play sports?  How do you tell kids that attend Milan that aren`t from the Milan zone that they can`t play? It would have been a shame to see Rod Smith (2A Mr. Football nominee and all-state player) just walking the halls because the TSSAA told him he could not play.

Should you rethink your idea about the TSSAA making a rule that says all schools have to have zones?

Antwan...Liberty is in it`s first year. However, that being said last summer Jackson had a team that competed in the Dixie 14 year old world series. From that team there were several kids who all decided to go to Liberty. I can asure you that they didn`t decide that so they could be in the same technology class together. Some of those were suppose to attend JCM (among the other high schools) I`m not upset. I`m glad they had a choice. But it definitely gives them an advantage.

I know you don`t think it`s right, but it`s a reality. What I don`t understand is why you condone it.

I must be missing something. Didn't I just say I was against open zones? Maybe you need to define condone.

BTW, Gobigred, that silence sure has turned around on this thread, hasn't it!

No doubt, itzme. Hopefully the frank discussion here has at least caused some folks to honestly consider the realities of the situation as it stands today. As in all other things in society, changes have taken place in the way that our children are educated that will never be reversed. The public community schoolhouse is no longer the only viable option for educating children.

High school athletics are a very important part of life and growing up for many kids, so the decisions that determinine the direction we take must to be based on an honest assessment of the total picture with an eye toward doing what is best for everyone involved.

You could argue that it's coaching.

Maybe...that certainly is a factor.  How do they keep getting great athletes?  Lipscomb is usually a senior dominated team every year.  They just reload.  They two platoon mostly.  How many 2a teams do that?  Not many.

Coaching is a huge factor. You dont see too many privates running the Wing-T any more, but I'm not just talking X's and O's. The reason Lipscomb, Goodpasture and other privates can two platoon is not because they have 22 stud athletes. These coaches have the ability and desire teach and motivate kids with average athletic ability to be good high school football players. They can and do out execute teams with bigger, faster athletes on a regular basis.

Sure the private schools have a few above average athletes, but then so do most public school teams. The secret to the consistency of the private school's success in football at all levels is not incredible athletic talent. It is their ability to maximize the effectiveness of the average athlete through rigorous physical training, constant coaching of technique and instilling a high level of mental discipline.

Edited by gobigred

You could argue that it's coaching.

Maybe...that certainly is a factor.  How do they keep getting great athletes?  Lipscomb is usually a senior dominated team every year.  They just reload.  They two platoon mostly.  How many 2a teams do that?  Not many.

Coaching is a huge factor. You dont see too many privates running the Wing-T any more, but I'm not just talking X's and O's. The reason Lipscomb, Goodpasture and other privates can two platoon is not because they have 22 stud athletes. These coaches have the ability and desire teach and motivate kids with average athletic ability to be good high school football players. They can and do out execute teams with bigger, faster athletes on a regular basis.

Sure the private schools have a few above average athletes, but then so do most public school teams. The secret to the consistency of the private school's success in football at all levels is not incredible athletic talent. It is their ability to maximize the effectiveness of the average athlete through rigorous physical training, constant coaching of technique and instilling a high level of mental discipline.

I will absolutley guarantee you DL and GP don't outwork our kids. I will also guarantee you they don't have better coaches that teach any better techniques.

We have six fulltime assistants and at least four voluntary assistants. We have a very good off-season weight program. The coaches don't waste a minute in practice. Every kid is involved in every second of every practice.

Nah...the difference in most years is athletes. Some years we have them (3 all-state this year). Some years we don't. GP and DL have them every year.

I guess it's just magic.

I will absolutley guarantee you DL and GP don't outwork our kids. I will also guarantee you they don't have better coaches that teach any better techniques.

We have six fulltime assistants and at least four voluntary assistants. We have a very good off-season weight program. The coaches don't waste a minute in practice. Every kid is involved in every second of every practice.

Nah...the difference in most years is athletes. Some years we have them (3 all-state this year). Some years we don't. GP and DL have them every year.

I guess it's just magic.

Do you coach football and / or teach at SC? I am not implying that GL and GP out work you guys or anyone else for that matter. I respect your program, and I am sure the effort is there. Hopefully that effort will produce the results you seek. That is why I am mystified that you would philosophically relegate public school football programs to a level below the privates. It seems to me that you guys in the public arena would relish the opportunity to beat your private school counterparts.

I stand by my statement that the key to the consistency of the private school programs is based on maximizing the football efficiency of the average athlete. I can give you examples that suppport my belief , but I doubt it would make any difference in the way you view the issue.