New players to watch,Who are they?

Ah!!!DoggieBonez

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT ABOUT JENA SWANSON A FRESHMAN CATCHER PLAYING VARSITY FOR COFFEE CO. ALSO HAS A GOOD STICK.

Also KASEY MEEKS A FRESHMAN PITCHER FORM COFFEE CO. IS GOING TO BE A GOOD PITCHER.

AMANDA DUKE FOR TULLAHOMA A SOP. IS A GREAT PITCHER HAS SPEED AND BOY DOES HER BALL MOVE.

NIKI BIRDSELL FROM WHITE HOUSE IS NOT ONLY A GREAT CATCHER BUT ALSO HAS A GOOD BAT AND KNOW THE GAME WELL A FRESHMAN ALSO.

Some major pitching will appear next year when three eighth graders move into high school. They have taken thier 14U teams to the top levels of the NSA and ASA nationals in "A" level ball . The first young lady to watch is Jennifer Mayor , who will pitch for Brentwood High next year. She throws a 62 mile an hour screw ball that disappears. The second is Riley Mashborn. She has the ability to throw a drop ball that falls off the table, and a fast ball she can expertly place anywhere she needs to going about 62 to 63. Batters may connect but the ball isnt going anywhere. The third, Katherine Hosfield, will be pitching for Riverdale next year. She has clocked in at 62 at a couple of tournaments this spring and she has an unhittable rise ball that jumps and a fantastic curve that she can place inside or out. She changes speed at every pitch and is almost impossible to hit. Each of these young ladys will make a very strong mark in 2005. They are not just good I betcha they will be the top in the mid state.

Margaret Morris (sophomore) from Farragut is turning some heads this year. She filled in as starting pitcher this year, and is blowing by tons of teams so far. She almost threw a perfect game (BARELY 1 hitter) against Maryville, who has some of the best athletes in the area. Jessie Howard is also sophomore third-baseman for Farragut this year, and is lightning fast. She is developing her skills as a slapper, and as soon as she masters it, I guaruntee her OBP will be no less than .450.

Go Farragut!

I have seen at least one of these 8th graders...Hosefield.....in a game or two. She was playing against the Austin Eagles of Chatt. I believe she does flirt with the 60 mph pitch, but I am not sure she makes it consistently. As for the others, do they all play for the Xtreme Edge? If so, I would say the same for all. I am not knocking the girls, they are very good pitchers, and will all be impact players for High School ball. However, I have seen them (Edge pitching) hit....and hit often, especially in the Austin Eagles game(s). Also, during one game, I saw Eagles pitcher Holly Thomas who is also out of Hunter Middle in Chatt (zoned for Ootlewah sp?). She consistenly reaches 60-62 with a great change, so I know the 60 mph mark is possible for an 8th grader, albeit a small percentage. Holly looked to be 5'10 or better and very athletic....so the physical attributes are there. She led the Eagles for a 5th place finish at the 14&U Nationals with wins over some powerhouse California teams. The scary thing is...I think she could have played 12&U. BUT, speed isn't everything, as jeffersonairplane knows. Jeff County's pitcher K Jett, and another good pitcher H. Broyles of Bearden make their living quite well with 55 mph speed, great location, and wicked movement. It took Jett to a good run at Memphis with only 1 or 2 losses for the entire year. Not to shabby by me. Anyway, with all these girls coming in, it does look like hits will be harder to come by next year. Kudos for all the hard work pitchers.

jennifer mayer plays for the 14u nighthawks; riley mashburn did play for the younger nighthawks, but i think her team has gone to be part of the xplosion group. mayer is on the board at club k for her age group as the fastest--i think at 61. mayer will play at brentwood high, while i'm pretty sure mashburn will go to brentwood academy with her older sister.

Coach 23 I like what you said about hard work for pitchers. Most players on a team does not even realize what pitchers goes through to become a good pitcher. When most girls are at basketball games; pitchers are working with coaches and teachers trying to improve their game. Most will work year round and three to four days a week. This is outside of team practices.

I agree the Austin Eagles pitcher Holly Thomas is a power house. She is amazing. As for the others, Riley plays for the Xplosion, Jennifer plays for the Nighthawks and Kat plays for the Xtreme edge. It is not the speed these girls heve it is the control and the pitches. I heard Kat's last years ERA was only .88 and that is pitching against all top level teams across the country. I believe she defeated Holly's Austin Eagles team at the ASA State. She pitched a one hitter , I think. The score was 3 to 1. According to the Austin Eagles web site that was the only time they faced them. The Austin eagles went on to win 5th at the ASA Nationals. I dont know what Jennifer and Rileys ERA was but Jennifer took her team to 3rd at the 12U ASA nationals . Kat took her team to 2nd at the NSA Super World. As for someone not believing an eighth grader can reach above 61 or 62, he or she needs to talk to Cheri Kempf , at Club K. Do they reach it on every pitch? No. Would any pitcher want to ? No. I have sat behind the catcher with a jugs gun at many college and high school games. The pitchers that cant be hit change speeds with every pitch. Their curve is one speed, thier rise is another, thier drop is another still. They are also able to keep the ball on the corners of the plate and the batters off guard. The best pitchers also have rises that actually rise and curves that actually curve. ETC... I would say these 4 kids have it , and there may be others, I just havent seen them. I have run into a lot of parents that SAY their child has nine pitches, or SAY their child throws 60, but I when I go to look I just dont see it, and I dont believe anybody but my own eyes and jugs gun.