BA 2004

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a surprise new entry into the kicking battle- 6'1 230 pound lineman Josh Butler ( seriously ). He has been kicking with the kickers and can absolutly kill the ball. He is still very raw and a little inconsistant- for every 45 yard bomb he has he shanks one for about 12 yards but I think he might have a chance. I'm done talking about the kicking game for now- there is just no way to tell until practice starts.

Keeping it going with the kickers, from what I have noticed, D. Varn seems to be much more consistent with the place kicking. He can constantly hit the 35 yarder, and he did hit the 52 yarder after practice once last year. Not to be mean or anything, but Baker, in my opinion, seems a little too young to play at a high school level. When I say that I mean that he might not be mature enough to play. If he does botch a kick, he will whine and complain about it which effects every other kick. So my money is on Varn for all of the place kicking, while Baker handles the punting, if Butler doesn't surprise everyone. Phil Masters doesn't seem to be a player at all this year, but next season is a different story.

On another note, Barry Turner has been practicing and running routes with the recievers, but he will be playing both reciever and tight end with Brian Ralls moving to full-time tackle. Another person that doesn't seem to be mentioned at Wide Reciever is Kofi Semenya. Coach Flatt seems very interested in him at receiver and should get a considerable amount of playing time.

Could any current BA player comment on how the Eagles will use Barry Turnder as a WR this year? It seems that with Flatt's offense he would be better suited to play TE and block since the receivers don't get much action except for some go routes every once on a while. Pairing him up next to Nick Forte would be a nice side to run Tyree behind, just a thought. And also, how is Barry's footwork as a run and pass blocker?

Could any current BA player comment on how the Eagles will use Barry Turnder as a WR this year? It seems that with Flatt's offense he would be better suited to play TE and block since the receivers don't get much action except for some go routes every once on a while. Pairing him up next to Nick Forte would be a nice side to run Tyree behind, just a thought. And also, how is Barry's footwork as a run and pass blocker?

825292658[/snapback]

I don't know that Flatt will limit him to one position; I think he'll use Barry's athleticism to its fullest advantage by sticking him on the line at times and in the slot at others. He seems to be built for the TE position and can be of great service as a blocker, but his size, speed, and strength could turn him into a pass-catching/YAC monster who would serve to diversify the offense.

The simplicity of BA's offense usually works because the Eagles physically outmatch most of the teams they play; however, mixing things up a bit with Barry at receiver would serve them much better against talented, well-coached teams such as MBA and McCallie. Look at the 1995-6 teams: 30-0 against 5A competition because they not only had virtuosos in the backfield, but had skilled receivers to complement the ground attack. Since then BA has had very few quality pass catchers, and since then BA has not won a state championship (although appearing in 5 title games).

I'd look for Barry to spend most of his time at tight end, with select appearances as a slot receiver.

Knowing Coach Flatt, Barry Turner will probably play TE, then whenever he moves to reciever, that means that BA will throw to him. BA does not play the same finesse type football that MBA or other schools play. BA plays with their hats, not their heads if you understood that. They don't run trick plays, they just get it done old fashioned way.

I think Barry will be used very similarly to how the Titans used Frank Wycheck- mainly a TE who occasionally splits out wide or could be used as a lead blocker occasionally. I don't know who would be the tight end if Barry was playing full time receiver because the backup, Brian Ralls, is now a tackle and the rest ( Thompson, Vanderpool, Loftin, Brown, Wright ) all have question marks and are inexperienced. I don't think any of us will really know for sure until practice next week. But I know on the lineup card going into practice Barry has been pencilled in at TE, but nothing will be set in stone until the season opens up. I also think he will play some D, but not full time- he's just too good to stay on one side of the ball.