Best High School Rivalry

JC4life

I definitely say Smith Co./Gordonsville!!! The whole county gets into it and the whole week before is total chaos. Being at either school during that week and especially on Friday is the best atmosphere. This is definitely the best and longest-running rivalry in Tennessee. This year marked the 75th time that these two teams have met on the football field. There is truly no other rivalry game better than this one.

The best rivalry in the state has to be the White House-Greenbrier rivalry.

A 23 year losing streak for the Bobcats is enough motivation for them to play hard and enough motivation for White House to play hard. Who wants a 23 year old monkey on your back???? <_<

Did anyone catch the game last year?

"Don't Hate"

Well, I'm going from a Union City standpoint:

UC-Obion Central .... In years past, OC fans would put the excrement of a farm animal under the visitors bleachers in anticipation of the UC game. Tacky day at each school comes the day before they play, and students wear the colors of the other school.

UC-Humboldt .... I believe these two schools have played each other something like 80 times. Its one of the best little rivalries you've never heard of.

UC-Milan .... These two teams have always played each other tough. Larry Shanks, UC's coach in the late 1970s, had very good success against Milan when it was THE premier program in West Tennessee. In the days of only one representative from each district to the state playoffs, this game usually decided that playoff spot.

It has to be Tullahoma and Coffee County.

People in Tullahoma hate people that go to Coffee County.

Same way around.

The Coffee Pot has been going back and forth between the schools since 1924 I do believe.

And in a close second. Tullahoma and Franklin County.

825328658[/snapback]

Here's a nice article from the Manchester Times, THSMgr.

The rivalry started in 1924, but the trophy didn't come along until later.

It was dated before the Coffee Pot game last year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=161...6&PAG=461&rfi=9

On the gridiron: Something to prove; Coffee Pot history

By: George Drake, Special to the Times September 10, 2003

The Red Raider football tradition started in October of 1922 with their first game against Wartrace that ended in a tie.

The first game between Tullahoma and Coffee County took place in 1924. The Wildcats won the first game 6-0. At that time up until 1937 the game between the Wildcats and Red Raiders was called "The Coffee County Championship." The game became a time-honored practice.

Another tradition that was started in the late 20's be-tween the two teams was the taking of the goalpost of the losing team back to the home field of the winning team as a trophy of the game. This was accomplished by a large number of fans and team members after the game. Even though the goalpost was made of wood this became a problem between the communities.

In 1937 the local business houses of Manchester got together and created a new trophy they called the "Coffee Pot." The first Coffee Pot game was played November 19, 1937 at 2 p.m. in Manchester because the last three games between the two teams had been played on Wade Field in Tullahoma. Admission for adults was 35 cents and 25 cents for students. Tullahoma won 12-0.

The Coffee Pot as a trophy was invented in part to keep the winning team and locals from tearing down the goalpost of the losers. Tradition in football is hard to change. The tradition of tearing down the goalpost persisted until 1941.

In 1941 a fine gentleman by the name of Bob Couch, owner of Couch's Camera in Tullahoma, was a junior at Tullahoma High School. Couch relays the events that ended the goalpost tradition.

"The game was played in Tullahoma on Wade Field on November 22, 1941. Our team won 21-7. At the end of the game, as was a tradition, a large group of us piled into pickup trucks and went to the Coffee County football field to get our trophy. When we got to the field there was a large group of locals and a few county deputies guarding the goalpost," Couch said.

"Not wanting any trouble we left without our trophy. Not to be denied, later that night at 2 a.m. we met at a local gathering place. After we loaded into pickup trucks, we drove to the Coffee County football field, tore down the goalpost as our trophy, and brought it back to Wade Field in Tullahoma."

"The next day, being Monday, in broad day light, a large group of people from Manchester came and tore down our goalpost and took it back to Manchester,"

This act ended the goalpost tradition. After that event only the Coffee Pot was used as a trophy for the winning team. One tradition ended and another began.

Recently Coach John Olive, the head coach of the Wildcats, was asked what does the Coffee Pot mean to the Wildcats?

"The Coffee Pot game is a game between two communities that as been going on for many, many years. It is a tradition that has special meaning for players of the past as well as the Wildcats of today. We have not lost the Coffee Pot but one time during my tenure as head coach and that was in the 1996 game," Olive said.

What is the procedure for transferring the Coffee Pot from one team to another?

"This procedure is handled between the administrators from each school. The Coffee Pot may be kept in the press box or kept with the administrator. That would be up to the team that is in possession of the Coffee Pot at the time. At the end of the game, if necessary, the Coffee Pot is given to the winning administrator, but at no time is the Coffee Pot brought on the field," Olive said.

In an interview before the Coffee Pot game the Red Raiders head coach Bert Browne said, "I told them Tullahoma was just another team."

The Red Raiders went on to win 18-13. At the time the Red Raiders were 2-1 overall and 1-1 in the region. After the game they went on to have a dismal season with seven straight losses.

"It's weird. We started just fine. Our kids thought the Tullahoma game was the end of the season. I had players telling me that because they beat Tullahoma nothing else mattered. In the future, I will de-emphasize the importance of the Coffee Pot game, if it means getting our players to concentrate on making the playoffs," Browne said.

Today, our team has something to prove, but not with the Coffee Pot game. Look to out region and use this game as a stepping stone to the playoffs and prove on the gridiron that "eleven brothers are hard to beat."

i have to go with....

Beech vs. Hendersonville

it made the ESPN show on High school rivals (top 100 in the USA) and if i remember correctly... it was ranked 7th (show aired in the 2000 season)

also my other rivals in TN

KP Dobyns Bennet vs. Oakridge

MBA vs BA

Hendersonville vs. Gallatin

Riverdale Vs. Oakland (lost a little steam but no love loss)

Franklin vs. Brentwood