Hazing

FBEmeritus

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If TSSAA wants to enforce rules, than these are the type of things that need to be enforced.

If you take away an entire season from Gallatin for having a player who lives with two parents in different school zones, what do you do to a team that has a group of kids do this....The answer ... Nothing ! The individuals will be punished ( As they should be) but the team will not be sanctioned by TSSAA. I hope I'm wrong but you wait and see!!

If TSSAA is truely run by "the schools" than they need to put a zero-tolerence on this and suspend the entire team from play for the season. I believe that would go a long way toward putting a stop to it. Unfortunate for the innocent bystanders, but probably the best action for all member schools

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Agree with you some there Bigdog, but I think suspending the whole team is punishing the wrong kids. The predators who perpetrated this assault and the coaches who knew about it should be suspended, until the legal authority get's a chance to act. I could be wrong, and hope I am, but the TSSAA is silent. The TSSAA and state school officials should override the Kingston School board and weigh in on this situation. These players should be suspending from competition until the charges get reviewed by a judge. I am certain most up there don't condone such actions.

Jacketsfan: I am sorry I did not mean to lob all of the fine folks in Kingston into this mess. I do think your schools need new leadership. How can one explain a weapon being used on school property to beat underclassman until they have to go to the hospital? 10 days and a half game, wow that is tough!

Sad!

What Choice? That is a farce and you know it, I really wish people would quit trying to throw the blame off on someone else. These young people committed an act that is against the law!

I guess you don't relly care if someone is hurt thru an act of assualt!

Initation doesn't include assualt, maybe minor pranks or drudge work like carrying pads or cleaning up the fieldhouse or carrying water not getting hit with sand filled bats, learn the difference and I hope your child never goes thru it especially because of your attitude!

825307637[/snapback]

I agree with your post 100%. I remember some hazing when I was at Maryville. One sophomore who was wearing overalls was taken to the goalpost. The seniors wrapped his overall straps around the goalpost and left him hanging there. Seniors would rub Bengay in your jockstraps. Seniors would dump a bucket of ice on you while you were in the shower. I see nothing wrong with that stuff. What happened at Kingston is uncalled for. Those boys who hit those freshmen with sand filled wiffle ball bats should be kicked off the team and arrested.

No, I do not work at Kingston High, nor do I live in Kingston. No, the player that went to the hospital wasn't injured. He played Friday evening in a scrimmage, and Sat. morning in a scrimmage, and then his parents decided to take him to Oak Ridge Meth. Hospital to be examined. Which, by the way, said that he was fine.

ksgovols, with no disrespect intended, why would you put this in the same class as someone being raped? The freshman knew this was going to take place. They chose to take part in the activity. Ok, lets use your analogy, woman gets naked tells the man she wants to have sex, then after the fact she wants to claim that he raped her!? BAD EXAMPLE KSGOVOLS!

Better example for you blind parents- your kid goes to a party where his friends are drinking and smoking dope. His friends raz him for not "partying". He leaves. Good choice!- your kid goes to a party where his friends are drinking and smoking dope. His friends raz him for not "partying". He drinks some beer. Gets home and you smell the beer. Bad choice! Who do you want to see punished? The kids at the party that "razed" or "shamed" your kid into doing something he knew would get him into trouble or your child for making a bad choice?

I have personally spoken with 2 of the kids parents that were involved as the "hazors". The kids have apologized to the "hazees", as have the parents to the "hazees" parents. I know that these 2 parents have taken responsibility for their childs action. But, do they or I think that their child should be "hung" for his foolish mistake? NO! Everyone is wanting an example to be made of these kids. Make an example out of the principal or coach for not giving a stiff enough penalty, not the kids.

As for the legal action, I would hope that the judges would see that there is no previous history for any of these kids and throw it out of court with a warning. These are good kids that some of you are wanting to be treated like common criminals. I wonder if you would feel the same if one of these kids was yours? You would be the 1st to scream, "this is ridiculas".

Sir, How about if one of these kids was yours? If they were mine, my lawyer would have already addressed the lack of action by the administration to protect young athletes from these "Good Kids". I'm sorry Good kids don't beat other kids with what some of us call a weapon, and excuse it as a normal rite of passage. If those kids had been a locker room rat, the PETA people would be chaining themselves to your goal posts. If this action is condoned in any shape or form it just allows worse action to be perpetrated in the future.

This kind of "Blame the victim" thought process and excesses for individual failures to take responsibility for criminal action is what is allowing the "Inmates to run the jail"

I certainly wish that coaches would put a stop on hazing. When I was at Riverdale, it was the players tradition to "rape" the underclassmen. They upperclassmen would put the underclassmens' heads in their crotch area. They tried to do this to me once my freshman year, but I punched the guy before he could and busted his lip on the bus home from one of the varsity games. No one ever bothered me again.

Edited by bhsOL

This has been drug out way too long. The simple fact is that if ANY sort of initiation process can cause physical harm to another player, its hazing and its WRONG!!! It should not be accepted, tolerated, ect. You shouldn't have to take it, and beieve me it doesn't always happen on free will. If they don't participate, they likely will be forced or they will not be accepted as part of the "brotherhood."

Anyway, I'm glad there are some sensible people on this thread.

ACCARP

Guest region4fan

I know there is another local school that holds down the underclassmen and gives them a "red belly" which means that they srike the player repeatedly with a weight belt until they have red welts all over their belly. Thus the term. This same school yrs back "broomed" a player at camp. Others had their clothing and shoes urinated on, or heads swirled in the toliet. Personally I thought all the coaches should have been fired as they knew all about this ritual and others. This school lost out on some good kids b/c word got out and kids did not want to play there. Sad, but true.

BTW, it was NOT Oakland!

I wish everyone would get over this and stop acting like you know the perfect solution.

The punishment had been handed out and nothing and nothing can change it. The reason that it was minor is because it was a plea bargain that the principal threw out. In retrospect, He wishes he could change things but he cant.

The judge will throw the case out with a warning to the kids. It was their first offence. The problem with a lawsuit is that to signs of abuse were ever recorded. no pictures, no video, NOTHING. If they were to fight it in court, then it would be he-said/she-said. And the charges that were pressed (misdeameanor assault) wont do anything as a serious punishment (IF the judge decides to allow the case)

The kid that went to the hospital was FINE. Bruses from bats will heal in time. What these people are doing by dragging this out and pressing charges will NOT heal and will stay on their record. (If you say that they deserve to have this on their record - than shame on you b/c these kids shoulnt have something that stops them from getting a job or something in 10 or 15 years) If they want to "help" the kids (and not their own personal wallet) then they will drop the charges.

Let this be a lesson to others, because I know FOR A FACT that the "hazors" are sorry for what they did. They have apologized to everyone that they caused harm to.

Edited by KTownJackets