Friday Night Lights

secretasianman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that the movie did a good job showing the pressure that is put on kids when they play for a traditionally strong football program. I acutally laughed out loud during the movie when I recognized some of the characters as people I have seen around Jefferson Co football. There were some real classic moments in the movie, the guys going into the coaches office, the former players with championship rings asking the players if they were going to get one, the leeches(as I call them) hanging around during practice. My favorite scene in the entire movie was when Boobie Miles's uncle was describing him during that first practice, I won`t tell you why. The 25 year old men they tried to pass off as high schoolers really cracked me up, can`t they find some real high school age kids to cast as players? I thought it was a great movie.

I saw Friday Night Lights lastnight. Everyone had tears in their eyes in some parts of the movie. It's one of the best football movies ever. Remember The Titans was great also. I haven't seen Any Given Sunday yet. But Friday Night Lights just wasn't all about football. It had alotta good points in it. thumb

I thought that the movie did a good job showing the pressure that is put on kids when they play for a traditionally strong football program. I acutally laughed out loud during the movie when I recognized some of the characters as people I have seen around Jefferson Co football. There were some real classic moments in the movie, the guys going into the coaches office, the former players with championship rings asking the players if they were going to get one, the leeches(as I call them) hanging around during practice. My favorite scene in the entire movie was when Boobie Miles's uncle was describing him during that first practice, I won`t tell you why. The 25 year old men they tried to pass off as high schoolers really cracked me up, can`t they find some real high school age kids to cast as players? I thought it was a great movie.

825375513[/snapback]

Haven't seen the movie yet, but have read the book. I hope the movie can compare to the book...it was one of the best i've ever read. I can definately see where you're coming from JC4life, being around Jeff Co football for as long as I have, you can see the same type guys that are seen in the book. Jeff Co was in its glory days around the same time Permian High was in theirs. I think the similarity of the two teams is what stood out to me more than anything when reading the book. Jeff Co did not have the deep seeded racism that i know of, but the importance of one team to one town (or county) was definately strikingly similar. The players ruled the town and the school, and Jeff Co, like Odessa, hung on the teams every move. I can still remember as a little kid traveling to every '87 Patriot game and dreaming of playing for the Pats one day myself.

The book FNL was amazing! Definitly the best book I have ever read. (Thanks for the recommendation Coach Grissom!) It sort of reminds me of my high school but most people in my town don't go to those extremes. I am so excited about going to see the movie and I hope it does justice to the book. If it's better than Remember The Titans I will be extremely impressed because Remember the Titans is my all time favorite football movie. Me and my best friend watch it every Friday. I know every line and song in that movie by heart. And I still cry when Gerry and Julius are in the room together after the car wreck! Although Hometown Legends comes in a close second along with Varsity Blues.

Edited by GHSKees5008