TSSAA Transfer Rule

BigDogDaddy

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

ELA- I don't want to get into coach bashing or TSSAA bashing but I am frustrated that when a player has a dislike for a coach such that he does not want to play for him (Harpeth and Marshall Co. examples this year) a child has to sit out a year if he wants to transfer to the other school in the county.

If the rule is there to protect kids from recruiting, I think the "double- edge" is awfully sharp.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELA- I don't want to get into coach bashing or TSSAA bashing but I am frustrated that when a player has a dislike for a coach such that he does not want to play for him (Harpeth and Marshall Co. examples this year) a child has to sit out a year if he wants to transfer to the other school in the county.

If the rule is there to protect kids from recruiting, I think the "double- edge" is awfully sharp.

825460570[/snapback]

Phrased like that I can't vote yes or no. The Transfer rule has its place. It is needed. But....it also can be misused to punish those for whom it is not intended.

The rule is a good one but the application is what needs fixing.

I'm not ELA, but I will answer this topic with an emphatic NO to the very idea. When coaches are bad the system they are in usually weeds them ouy straight up or with pressure from the community and the kids go on. To allow someone to transfer without penalty just because they don't like the coach is a very poor idea (without calling it something worse). Your proposal would open the door to total kaos in high school sports in general.

ALSO consider that the kid (or parent) that usually doesn't like a certain coach is many times the kid who just doesn't cut the mustard well enough to beat out the next kid and either that kid or its parent thinks they are better. But that is what coaches are hired for, to assess talent and try to put the best eleven on the field!!!!! B) thumb

Right, it's a double edged sword. B)

It benefits no one and it should be done away with. After all it's just high school sports, not some big money making machine ( except for T$$AA ) and besides, why would they care?

No it is there to protect the system. After all it's just high school sports, not some big money making machine ( except for T$$AA ) and besides that they need it!

Keep voting! B)

I have stated before that I think the rule should be changed but until it is we are stuck with it. In regards to Harpeth it seems clear to me that they need to bring in someone who can reunite the team. Someone who isn't a part of the current situation who can bring both sides together, sit down, and say, "I'm new, I really don't care who did what or what was said in the past... It's a new day and anyone who wants to try out for football will get a serious look."

Back to the transfer rule... I would like to see two changes:

1. Take some of the "clearinghouse duties away from the TSSAA." Make it be between the two schools. Let the final forms be turned into the state but make the responsibility of getting it right between the two Athletic Directors.

2. Give kids more of a break when transfering between custodial parents who live in different houses.

825460570[/snapback]

Sure, you can transfer somewhere else in the county. Move into their district.

Sure, you can transfer somewhere else in the county.  Move into their district.

825461180[/snapback]

Yes this rule needs to be dropped. The TSSAA and it`s governing body and coaches all all about themselves. It`s like sports is the all important issue concerning high school. There are far more reasons other than sports and far nore reasons more important than sports as to why kids transfer. The TSSAA needs to get over itself and let kids go where they want to go.

First of all they can`t and don`t have the financial resources to thouroughly investigate all transfers, nor should they ever have that money. School zones and school transfer policies vary from county to county. The TSSAA should accept the judgement of each school system. If a kid has a valid reason to transfer and it`s school system agrees to it, then the TSSAA should just leave it at that. School systems already have transfer rules in place. They don`t let kids transfer without good reason. Let`s just run with that and forget punishing kids because they decide to change schools.

i agree with the guy who said it would be chaotic for people to be transfering around all over w/out penalty. I think that trasfering high schools in order to play sports is a big enough decision that a 1 year penalty is mild. Every redneck parent in the state would have their kid transfering high schools...high school is more important than high school sports.

There has to be a transfer rule, you can't control athletics without it, but it could be modified to shift the control issues between the two schools. If the two coaches, A.D.'s and principals sign off on transfers then that would stop most problems. It takes some of the responsibility off of the TSSAA.

Yeah, let's drop the rule so that when several kids in Knoxville see that Central is going to have a great team next year they can transfer there one season, then if they see that Powell is going to be good the following year, they could transfer there. If would be mass Kaos. You would have kids that could possibly attend 4 different schools in 4 different years. Dropping the rule would be real smart!!!!

There has to be a transfer rule, you can't control athletics without it, but it could be modified to shift the control issues between the two schools. If the two coaches, A.D.'s and principals sign off on transfers then that would stop most problems. It takes some of the responsibility off of the TSSAA.

825461439[/snapback]

I totally agree with this post and the first one you posted, ELA. There has to be some sort of "control", otherwise you would have a mess in highschool atheletics.