Fair Play

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to personally thank softballscout and baldcoach for paying for my child's education and giving us poor folk books and such, what would we ever do without the tax money of you rich folk. Congrats on your morals and careful not to fall of your high horse. Personally i would love for my child to attend a private school but to be honest she never will because I cant afford it. Unlike softballscout who gives up vacation and new cars for his children i would have to give up things like mortgage payments and groceries. However my child does still have good morals, values and will grow up to be just as good a person coming from our pathetic little rural public high school, because contrary to what you guys may think, money does not make you a good person!

825682992[/snapback]

I think you have pretty much spoken for most folks in this debate who want a split. It`s a money issue. You want your kid to go to a private school, because you want what you percieve as something better. Yet it`s impractical for you to do that. My kids go to public schools. Yet I don`t have a need or feel compelled to say my kids have good morals.

If you have been on here long enough, you see many public school parents making such statements as yours. Yet I can`t EVER remember any private school parent EVER making a statement that their kid is better than your`s. Just because a family can afford or are able to sacrifice enough to send their kid to a private school, does not mean they think their kids are better than your`s. It just means that they think that`s what they think is best for their child. (The same as you do)

I attended a private HS and could have sent my kids to a private HS, but to be honest with you...I`m so glad that THEY decided to attend public schools in Jackson. They are getting a great education and an experience that kids in private schools will NEVER get. I don`t give a rat`s behind about who wins what. Sports in HS is so much more about winning. If a parent sends a kid to a private school because they want their kid to be on a good team, then that`s a sad case for how pitiful a parent they are. But that`s ok. I`m not gonna sit here and make judgement on them if their team beats mine. Because in the end..my child will have a HS diploma just like theirs and a diploma doesn`t mean squat unless a kid has learned values from home to do something with it.

"Why not play all the way up against the best competition?"

I still do not see an answer to this from private supporters (or public supporters).

Let's let the private supporters go first. If it really is about "best competition" why don't your favorite private school voluntarily play up?

After a private supporter answers, like, Baldcoach, SuperSteve, VG, then we will throw it at a public supporter, like Stan, Laz, myself.

Ah, heck, let's just get it out now. It really is about WINNING after all isn't it?

And just about everyone with any interest in any sport on any level deep down knows it. Now, will we just admit it? Looks like I just did.

"Why not play all the way up against the best competition?"

I still do not see an answer to this from private supporters (or public supporters).

Let's let the private supporters go first.  If it really is about "best competition" why don't your favorite private school voluntarily play up?

After a private supporter answers, like, Baldcoach, SuperSteve, VG, then we will throw it at a public supporter, like Stan, Laz, myself.

Ah, heck, let's just get it out now.  It really is about WINNING after all isn't it?

And just about everyone with any interest in any sport on any level deep down knows it.  Now, will we just admit it?  Looks like I just did.

825685841[/snapback]

Actually C, we already do this. Our out of region schedule is one of the toughest in the state...and I would venture that our 2a Region is as tough as all but the 5a in our area. But again, I am not talking about winning and losing...I am talking about fairness. Public supporters throw the "you guys should play up to the best competition" line at the good privates but they never mention that there are public schools who have a much more dominant record than any private who aren't moving up. If the rules don't apply equally to all we call that discrimination. I still say a merit system solves the problem.

I would just like to personally thank softballscout and baldcoach for paying for my child's education and giving us poor folk books and such, what would we ever do without the tax money of you rich folk. Congrats on your morals and careful not to fall of your high horse. Personally i would love for my child to attend a private school but to be honest she never will because I cant afford it. Unlike softballscout who gives up vacation and new cars for his children i would have to give up things like mortgage payments and groceries. However my child does still have good morals, values and will grow up to be just as good a person coming from our pathetic little rural public high school, because contrary to what you guys may think, money does not make you a good person!

825682992[/snapback]

Just curious Lady Tiger, what are the reasons that you quote "would love to send my child to attend a private school"?

Actually C, we already do this.  Our out of region schedule is one of the toughest in the state...and I would venture that our 2a Region is as tough as all but the 5a in our area.  But again, I am not talking about winning and losing...I am talking about fairness.  Public supporters throw the "you guys should play up to the best competition" line at the good privates but they never mention that there are public schools who have a much more dominant record than any private who aren't moving up.  If the rules don't apply equally to all we call that discrimination.  I still say a merit system solves the problem.

825685874[/snapback]

I know you do and that is exactly (in my opinion) one of the main factors that took you to the top of 1A. It seems like more times than not I have seen private supporters use the "why don't you want to play the best competition" argument more than public especially when dealing with the stats that Laz produces (I think it is laz).

Your out of region schedule is commendable, but why has that been your "out of region" competition? Why not voluntarily (merit system) move up? Probably the same reason South Pittsburg hasn't. You want to win championships.

The biggest reason i would like to send my daughter to a private school is because she now goes to a very small, rural public school that offers very limited courses and i feel she would have many more choices at a private school as they tend to offer more varied classes. For example our school only offers one foreign language, most privates and larger publics offer more than that. She is a straight A student, but i always wonder how she would compare to straight A students in a private school or the larger publics, however i guess i will get a better idea of that when she takes her pre-ACT June 11. Lets just be honest i think its also known that private schools also attract better teachers, with good morals. I cant tell you the number of our teachers who i know have had relationships with junior and senior students and even gone on to marry them once they have graduated from school. If your point was to find out if my motives were sports related i can assure not. She has worked hard for academics and i have no doubt will go to college with a scholarship for such. As far as her sports go, she plays on a very, very , good travel softball team which is all the recognition she will need if she is to play a sport in college. Hope this cleared things up for you. One more thing baldcoach : you may play the toughtest out of region schedule but when you are playing for state titles those teams dont count...its the small public schools you are competing with and i never did get your response to how you compare privates to the small A schools i mentioned to you in earlier post.

Lets just be honest i think its also known that private schools also attract better teachers, with good morals.

825685936[/snapback]

I'm not so sure 'better' teachers are attracted to private schools in all instances. Many public school systems pay more than the private schools as some have pointed out. I know more than a couple of teachers at public schools whose children attended private schools. I also know some teachers at private schools who have applications out at public schools. I don't think a blanket statement can be necessarily made about quality of teachers. Morals either. There's good and bad teachers in each system and teachers at Christian schools don't hold the patent on morality.

Smaller classroom sizes, more one on one attention from the teacher, faith based curriculum and no distractions from troubled peers are the reasons I've heard and read on this site that attract parents to private schools.

I can't tell you for certain what his version is, but here's mine. In all sports except football, every year, the teams that make the final four in each class move up one class. (That's with the obvious exception of the top class.) The four worst in each class (by a rating system like the one used for chess) move down. In the case of football, four teams in each grand division (instead of just four statewide) move up/down, but only every two years.

The key to making it work is that the playoff groupings are not necessarily your regular-season league. This is a common system in the Midwest, where teams group into conferences for the regular season by whatever rules they wish, but for playoffs, they're assigned to a district by pure geography and classification.

Bald Coach,

Explain to me how your "merit system" would work?

825686016[/snapback]

Grasshopper,

Several people have proposed different merit systems. Silver has a system that uses strength of schedule and other factors...sort of like the original college system.

My system is simpler. At the end of each 2 year scheduling period any school that has been in a state final, or has made the 3rd playoff round for both years, or has been undefeated in their region both years would move up to the next class. Any team that was last place in their division both years or that didn't win any games at all one year and was second to last in the other would have the option to move down a class.

I believe that after 3 rounds or so of moves most teams would be in a class where they were competitive but not dominant. And that the best teams would be in 5a...the true cream of the crop...regardless of school size.

A merit system is the only way to take in all the variables...that is IF we are really striving for a level playing field. If not, then that is fine too...but the privates shouldn't be the only ones singled out and forced to move.