Where's the Sportsmanship?

BUC4LIFE

Looked more like opinionism than journalism to me. Not that I full agree with the score or how it came about but I don't fully disagree either. I wasn't there so I can't say alot about what happened, I am only going by what I have seen on here about it. According to the article, Satterfield pulled his starters after 10 PLAYS! How can you tell your 2nd and 3rd teamers "Alright guys, you've practiced hard since the spring. You've come out every day and give everything that the starters have and in the next year or two we are going to need you out there on the field. So go out there and lay down for me right now." Yes, there possibly could have been other things done to avoid it on Trousdale's part. But at the same time things could have been done to make it worse. One thing is for sure though. The game has been over for a week, everyone needs to just move on.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying 91 points is a little unfair but what if you was looking at it this way. Trousdale is trying to win a state title. They just wanted to keep their starters in shape. Now from what I have seen in Cloudland past, (2003) their starters played very little in the 3rd and 4th quarter all season long. Some say that the coach's should have had 1st string in better shape, just ask the players that were senior's, it showed in the 4th quarter. CAK had came to Roan Mtn and beat the #1 team in the state. CAK was good, but Cloudland wasn't in shape to play 4 quarter football. That is why there will never be a State Champion in 1A this side of Knoxvelle, the coach's don't have the heart to play their starters 4 quarters.

As far as running the clock as this coach suggested. It is against state and national federation rules. The two coaches may agree to shorten the quarters but not have a running clock. If the clock is running, then the officials are not following the rules.

I disagree, Westview has played several opponents from Memphis that had a running clock in the 2nd half. It helped hold the beating down to a respectable margin. I hope it happens again tonite....it happened in the playoff run in 2001 I believe also!

After listening to this argument for a week now, I finally feel compelled to add my two cents worth. Here are some facts from the game.

(1) after 7 offensive plays ( 5 rushing and two passing), TC picked up 6 first downs and 2 TD's. The third TD came on a pass interception. The first team offense played one more series, rushing once and throwing three incompletions to turn the all back to RBS.

(2) The second (and only other) team took over in the second quarter and scored 35 (not 42 points, one TD was on a putn block, which, by the way was the last time RBS attempted a punt). They were 3 of 5 passing in the second Quarter

(3) The second half consisted of 21 offensive plays by TC, 15 rushing for 149 yards and 2 of 6 passing for 50 yards. The 15 rushing plays had 4 carries of more than 20 yards.

(4) There were fumbles on Kick-offs, pass interceptions, fumbles on runs that gave TC good field position all night.

(5) This whole fiasco seemed to start because of the 47 yard TD pass. It was a flair pass on 4th down completed behind the LOS and run 47 yards. Basically a rushing play.

Who's to say that the score would not have been just as bad if TC had run every play? What about the argument that has been on this board many times about on any given night any team can beat any other team? Does that not apply to RBS playing a better second half than the first?

Go ahead, butcher me!!!!

For starters, here is a column by NFL.com writer Greg Easterbrook that talk about the subject of sportsmanship and running the score up. Scroll down a bit and look for the subheading. Very good column.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9002795

I don't necessarily think there is a problem with this happening one time, but the coach his made of history of being willing to do this to much weaker opponents. I will ask this, if you already have a big lead, why are you going for it on 4th down anyway at midfield? Why not just punt?

As for passing late with a big lead. If you are a primary rushing team and can use it as game experience to work on your passing game for down the road, then I have no problem with it. I've seen it a couple of times this year already. But if you already have an established passing game, then that is a different story.

There isn't much you can do when the other team is making mistake after mistake. Sometimes are hard as you may try to keep from running up the score, well, the other team just seems to want you to.

If what the TC group is saying is true and I will assume it is because I have no reason to believe otherwise, then I really have no problem with what the final was. However, I do have a severe problem with this coach's apparent attitude.

The one constant that has come from all TC fans is that all of them are unrepentant and arrogant.....as if RBS should have known that this beating was coming.....therefore take your "medicine". One thing that I took from the article is that "satterfield" said he did all he could....what????????

From that cue all of the TC fans have defended this travesty as if their holy shrine of football were being attacked. Telling other people "if you weren't there, then shut up" is a blatant act of intimidation...and it won't cut it.

The never ending comments from this week and the number of people who viewed the posts exceeded way over 10,000. Three threads were locked. It is obvious that TC was in the wrong.....at least in the eyes of the fans. I don't look for anything to change from this at TC, "satterfield" has his little kingdom there. But it won't stop the feeling that has permeated throughout this week.

He sure made everyone forget about Smith from Ezell-Harding

The one constant that has come from all TC fans is that all of them are unrepentant and arrogant.....as if RBS should have known that this beating was coming.....therefore take your "medicine". One thing that I took from the article is that "satterfield" said he did all he could....what????????

From that cue all of the TC fans have defended this travesty as if their holy shrine of football were being attacked. Telling other people "if you weren't there, then shut up" is a blatant act of intimidation...and it won't cut it.

The never ending comments from this week and the number of people who viewed the posts exceeded way over 10,000. Three threads were locked. It is obvious that TC was in the wrong.....at least in the eyes of the fans. I don't look for anything to change from this at TC, "satterfield" has his little kingdom there. But it won't stop the feeling that has permeated throughout this week.

He sure made everyone forget about Smith from Ezell-Harding

Smith's deal was much worse. You are right about the arrogance.

I think the whole thing happened because the RBS coach refused to run the clock.

Why in the world did he do that? If I were Satterfield...I wouldn't talk to Mr. Stewart. I am sure he knew what was going to

be written. That article is the most irresponsible journalism I have ever read. Go ahead and read this Mr. Stewart. You abviously

got all of your material from this website.

Edited by Antwan