Rumors afloat in BGA

cowboys

So, why do you think he is interested in changing at this point in his life and career.

I think the question might be why not.

He has put in the years for full pension in the public system. So he can begin receiving that when he retires from public school (I have no idea the rules about when or how old you have to be to begin receiving $ from your pension).

On top of his pension, he could get paid a nice salary and his pension - making double whammy $.

He has proven just about all he can at Riverdale. It is very obvious that the man can coach.

From a neighbor (I live in the boro) who has a child in St. Rose with his son, his son already attends a private school and he is VERY bright. Academically, BGA would be a great fit for a young man as bright as his son apparently is.

BGA's facilites are pretty nice. With the reputation that he has built, he would not have a hard time getting good athletes to decide to attend BGA nor some of the better athletes not participating in football to come out. (not saying recruiting from BGA or Rankin's standpoint - his reputation as a coach is that good and tons of kids are playing at the next level because of him)

Riverdale's zone is about to be cut way down with the soon to begin construction of the new Rockvale high school.

BGA also allows him to stay close to his family home base in Carthage ... unlike the Baylor job.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason Rankin wants to leave the Boro is because:

1- he no longer has his "boy" as the superintendent which means no more special zone exemptions

2.- because of the new Rockvale school which will drastically cut into his enrollment numbers.

Why this will hurt is refer back to reason #1

He does not wish to "coach" on a level playing field with the rest of the schools.

Edited by Fball

1- he no longer has his "boy" as the superintendent which means no more special zone exemptions

2.- because of the new Rockvale school which will drastically cut into his enrollment numbers.

He does not wish to "coach" on a level playing field with the rest of the schools.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I think your comments are inappropriate. Coach Rankin has 4 state championships over 16 years at Riverdale. Are you saying that this was all because he had an unfair advantage? Have you considered that he just might be a really good coach?

You don't have to love the guy to see that he is a gerat coach. Give him credit.

I think it has been pretty well-established that "rich" boys can take to tough coaching quite well. Aside from the private school sector, all you have to do is look at Ravenwood and Brentwood. I think in particular a coach with Warrior connections and "methods" showed it can work well in Williamson County.

BGA has been hurt by the success of other WillCo schools, particularly Franklin, IMO. Not to mention as well the number of other private options in their geographic pool.

My sources tell me its Rankin or Johnson. Crawford never interviewed.

Why Alsup decided to leave Blackman right before spring practice last year:

1- he no longer had the athletes inherited from Rankin, who had developed alot of them into great ballplayers

2- he realized he could never compete with Rankin, so he took the back seat to one of Rankin's own (one of Rankin's former assistants) and let him take the credit if his team lost.

Since your a Blackman fan, I thought you might enjoy that eye-opening experience. Yes, maybe some kids have got lucky enough to get a excemption to play for Rankin (under their own will, as Rankin cannot force anybody to come play for them although his record attracts many young ones looking to be successful), but for every one that has transferred to Riverdale there are hundreds of others who Rankin has developed as great players, and have been able to have a ring to remember it by.

Sounds like jeolosy to me. The price a man pays for being successful.

Sounds like jeolosy to me. The price a man pays for being successful.

I agree, it's time to stop crying over the past. Give the man credit he has done a great job, 15 winning seasons out of 16 at Riverdale. I don't care what league or conference you play in that is outstanding. He is a motivator and I hope he gets the job at BGA, it may be just what the Doc ordered, get it Doc. :lol:

So, why do you think he is interested in changing at this point in his life and career.

It's all about "double dipping". He can pull his retirement from the state and a salary from a private school or a school out of state (hence, the talk of GA). When he retires, he retires from all TN public schools. He may have some inside scoop on future happenings in Rutherford Co., but I'd say it's mostly about the money.

No, Johnson has a bigger fish in his frying pan.

What exactly is all of this talk about Johnson's "bigger fish" that's hanging out there?

It's all about "double dipping". He can pull his retirement from the state and a salary from a private school or a school out of state (hence, the talk of GA). When he retires, he retires from all TN public schools. He may have some inside scoop on future happenings in Rutherford Co., but I'd say it's mostly about the money.

What exactly is all of this talk about Johnson's "bigger fish" that's hanging out there?

I think there might be a pair of bigger fish out there. Just a fishing expedition

but I'll take a stab at it, although both are a year or two away.

Lincoln County is a no brainer, but just maybe a certain other private

school in Williamson County with an outstanding football tradition.

I'd call those a pair of big largemouth bass !

I think there might be a pair of bigger fish out there. Just a fishing expedition

but I'll take a stab at it, although both are a year or two away.

Lincoln County is a no brainer, but just maybe a certain other private

school in Williamson County with an outstanding football tradition.

I'd call those a pair of big largemouth bass !

I think you're grasping here...I assume you are refering to BA...that one is already nicely wrapped with pretty paper,a big red bow and a tag that says "To: Kent Austin"....done deal. The thing I don't get is this...if the Johnsons like there where they are living enough to not move back to her hometown (Pulaski), why would they move back to his(Fayetteville)?...and if he is tired of the drive (as everyone on here is assuming), he certainly wouldn't commute to LCHS...Maybe...and I'm grasping here, I know...just maybe he took the GCHS job because he wanted it. :thumb: Why is everybody assuming he wants out?