Rumors afloat in BGA

cowboys

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to an article in this morning's Daily News Journal, Rankin is no longer a candidate for the BGA job. Also says that he may interview for the Baylor job and has NOT interviewed for any jobs in Georgia.

Rankin Out of BGA Search

There have been a lot of strange twists in coaching searches this year. Who is going to be the man at BGA. Crawford back in the mix?

Edited by TDCman

According to an article in this morning's Daily News Journal, Rankin is no longer a candidate for the BGA job. Also says that he may interview for the Baylor job and has NOT interviewed for any jobs in Georgia.

Rankin Out of BGA Search

There have been a lot of strange twists in coaching searches this year. Who is going to be the man at BGA. Crawford back in the mix?

Rankin tried to get a job in Ga. They wouldn't hire him.

I always found it hard to believe that Rankin would be in the mix for any private school jobs - memories on that side of the equation, righlty or wrongly, run deep.

And if Rankin does leave Riverdale, don't count on Crawford leaving Brentwood for that job. Crawford could leave for a great situation elsewhere (more than likely out of state), but trust me, he is not looking and has not been looking.

Rector is an interesting proposition. His leverage is at its greatest point right now, and there is the "going home" factor for any position in Kentucky. I don't think the salary is as good there, which would be a factor.

Daniels hat is in a lot of rings; hopefully something breaks for him - potentially in East Tennessee would be a bet if nothing in the area breaks open.

Still a lot of time for things to happen.

Guest catfish-hunter

I just wish that they'd go ahead and name a guy as the new coach now. This process has been nothing short of ridiculous. From Tim Johnson to Gary Rankin to Ron Crawford and let's not forget the Scott Smith rumors a few weeks back. I personally thought it was Johnson's job for the taking but now with all of the rumors I've read on here the past two weeks I don't really know what to think.

This job along with the opening at Pearl-Cohn have not been handled well at all. Get a guy and get him in before the semester is out so that the kids can go through the off-season weight program knowing that they have a coach to lead them onto the field in the fall.

I thought for sure Rankin would get it. Perfect for him to retire from public school and get a second income from private. Winning record may not be everything!!

Tim Johnson has always been motivated by a lighter class load and more of a say so in the purse strings of the program, two things that FHS would not give him. I never really bought into the idea that Tim wanted to settle down in a small community like Pulaski or Fayetteville and be a head coach there. I think that his move to Pulaski was a knee-jerk reaction to the way he was treated at FHS. Had administration taken a slighly better tone he'd still be at FHS. Franklin's new coach obviously did a good job, Junior Todd Cambell was named All-State and has several SEC offers in hand, showing that he can build a succesful program for his players.

Given the news about Rankin, I'd almost be certain that Tim Johnson will be the new coach at BGA. Not to speak poorly of the other candidates mentioned in and around the county, but Tim has a charisma that I don't think (what I've heard second hand) the others have.

The question about "how could he do that to Giles Co." .... well how often will Enswoth, Brentwood Academy, CPA or BGA head jobs come up. That is the prime market for a guy like Tim.

I hope we hear soon

Edited by BigDogDaddy

There is another coach from the "final 6" that is kind of sneaking up on people. Not much is said of him at this point, but he is a fantastic young, energetic coach that had the state's leading defense 2 yrs in a row (all classes), as well as breaking their own state record for turnovers in a season, & two straight trips to the 'Boro. No one may want to admit it, but he is getting serious consideration for the BGA job. He may be just what BGA needs. :thumb:

Guest catfish-hunter

There is another coach from the "final 6" that is kind of sneaking up on people. Not much is said of him at this point, but he is a fantastic young, energetic coach that had the state's leading defense 2 yrs in a row (all classes), as well as breaking their own state record for turnovers in a season, & two straight trips to the 'Boro. No one may want to admit it, but he is getting serious consideration for the BGA job. He may be just what BGA needs. :thumb:

If you are talking about John Reid (Alcoa) well I for one would be shocked to see him land the job. He is an East-TN guy and with all of these "great" midstate coaches in the hunt for a big midstate job it would be amazing for him to surpass all of them coming from a small 2A school like Alcoa. Besides isn't Alcoa going to be the odds on favorite to 3-PEAT (sorry Pat Riley :thumb: ) in Class 2A next year??????

That's just my opinion which has been all wrong on this entire thread so with that said maybe Reid will be the next BGA coach. Everything I say is going to happen turns out to be all wrong here :thumb:

Edited by catfish-hunter

Not talking about Reid. He is a great coach in his own right. I agree with you Fish; why would he leave Alcoa? He won't for a while. The coach I am talking about is right under our Middle Tennessee Noses. If you are wondering who, do research and find who had the top defense in the state for 2 yrs and won a state championship while making consecutive trips to the 'Boro, while breaking the state record for turnovers twice.

Edited by 1stdown

That’s always possible when you’re talking about a former NFL player with previous major college coaching experience, but if I were Tim Johnson, I wouldn’t hold out for the MBA job for a variety of reasons, the least of which is that there aren’t many coordinator jobs that are going to provide the combination of quality of life and salary that the MBA job provides Jeff Rutledge.

The rumor is a natural one given Rutledge’s pedigree; while I hope it doesn’t come true, it goes with the territory of having a coach with his credentials.

I would be pretty shocked if CJR left MBA for a college job at this point in his life. From everything I have heard, he is very content with the lifestyle of a high school coach, in terms of hours, pressure, etc. It doesn't sound like he's a "burn the midnight oil" kind of guy right now (maybe in a previous life he was) who would enjoy returning to the non-stop travel of college recruiting, all-night film sessions, 100+ hour weeks, etc. Plus, one has to wonder about Groh's security at UVA.

I hope you have seen on ESPN Classic the 1978 (I think) Sugar Bowl when his Bama team beat PSU...ABC introduces the team sort of like the way it is now done on Monday Night Football. The team is standing around, and each player introduces himself. Coach R has a pretty sweet 1978 look. Something I never fail to bring up every time I see him at an alumni event... :angry: