Lake County vs Gleason

sbl0702

dudeutm, I have to respectfully disagree with you on the two best teams playing in the regional final. Gleason, I can agree on but UC was or is no better than Lake County. If you go back and look head to head LC beat UC at home, lost at home but blew a 22-9 lead and a 2 point lead at the end of 3. I feel there was not much difference between Lake Co. Greenfield and Union City. To end I will go to Muffin, I hope you are not relying on the DemoRATS oops I mean Democrats. :thumb::thumb:

Again, if you look I said the TWO best teams in the regionals, not the one best, respectfully of course.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ptguard12, you made the point that Gleason did not play well during the month of January and February. I recall one Gleason fan that said that Gleason's post player, Amber Wiseman was Gleason's leading scorer until January. Ptguard12, did Gleason's point guard not distribute the ball as well lately? Did Gleason's offensive count too much on the point guard? You made the point that they played just well enough to win, but that they had to pick it up a notch if they were going to state, which they didn't tonight as they lost to Lake County. You are probably the most knowledgable person concerning Class A women's basketball, therefore I would like to hear your opinion.

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORIES OF THE PALMERSVILLE PIRATES!!!

Gleason hasn't played with the kind of fire as of late to be State Champions. They were winning their games, but after watching them, you would sense that something was missing. The hustle wasn't there, the aggressiveness on defense wasn't there, the "will to win" just wasn't there. They beat teams merely on talent alone, but last night they ran into a Lake County team that just wanted it more then the Lady Bulldogs did.

During the months of January and February, I kept getting the feeling that Gleason felt like they could win without having to really "turn it on." I believe they felt that if they ever got into trouble, they could just flip the switch and suddenly be the great Gleason team they were during the early part of the season. I feel that they didn't think that anyone would really give them any trouble until Sub-State and so they were probably looking past this Regional matchup with Lake County.

Is Gleason one of the best teams in Class A? Yes, very much so when they are playing with the type of intensity and heart they played with early in the year. Did they deserve to be #1 in the AP Poll and my poll as well? Yes, because though they hadn't played their strongest ball as of late, I knew what they were capable of and as long as they weren't losing, I couldn't remove them from that top spot.

Gleason will be back next year, though they lose a lot of talent. They return Hudson and some other significant players while gaining a strong group from the middle school. They'll be back, though this year was their best chance to win a Gold Ball.

Edited by ptguard12

devilfan quote "Well its like i have said for years, for the most part and i'm not saying this about ALL the teams in West Tn but for the most part they play no one during the regular season and come into these tournaments with these guady records, having never been in very many "tight" games and when they finally find themselves behind in a tournament game that means either win or go home, they have never experienced that before during the year and so it definately has an affect on the team. The winner of this game will win the state championship so there is ALOT at stake!"

Devilfan, You live in a small world. Just keep your posts about 7A because you don't have a clue about west Tennessee basketball. Gleason is use to pressure and they have played in as many big games as Jackson County over the years, the pressure did not get to Gleason. Lake County just outplayed Gleason last night. Were you even at the game? I know you're so tickled to not have to play Gleason since you're looking for the easiest way to the Gold Ball. You better worry about Clark Range Wednesday night.

devilfan quote "Well its like i have said for years, for the most part and i'm not saying this about ALL the teams in West Tn but for the most part they play no one during the regular season and come into these tournaments with these guady records, having never been in very many "tight" games and when they finally find themselves behind in a tournament game that means either win or go home, they have never experienced that before during the year and so it definately has an affect on the team. The winner of this game will win the state championship so there is ALOT at stake!"

Devilfan, You live in a small world. Just keep your posts about 7A because you don't have a clue about west Tennessee basketball. Gleason is use to pressure and they have played in as many big games as Jackson County over the years, the pressure did not get to Gleason. Lake County just outplayed Gleason last night. Were you even at the game? I know you're so tickled to not have to play Gleason since you're looking for the easiest way to the Gold Ball. You better worry about Clark Range Wednesday night.

Why would we be tickled to not have to play Gleason? If Gleason can't beat Lake Co. they have NO business even thinking they can play with Jackson County. Regardless i realize you are a "homer" on this one but facts are facts. Clarkrange is a serious threat no doubt, but then again they've won the state championship how many times? You are the one that lives in a small world to think you have a clue about Middle Tn. basketball, because obviously you don't. There is no way Gleason has played even close to the talent of teams that Jackson County has. Look at their schedule and tell me who they've played that compares to the teams that Jackson County plays night in and night out? You might find 1 team that you could say compares to one game but by saying Gleason has played in as many pressure games as Jackson County has, then it really tells me that either you're just trying to defend West Tn or you have no clue, one of the two. As for worrying about C'range, like i said they are a legitimate threat and it will be a great game for sure. The winner of this game will win the state championship! That much i do know! :thumb:

Congrats to Lake County and Greenfield on their BIG wins tonight. To say that I am shocked that Lake County pulled the upset is an understatement. I knew that if Gleason didn't pick up their game that someone would knock them off, but I didn't believe that it would be tonight. This is a HUGE upset as Gleason was a definite favorite for the Gold Ball. This just goes to show you that anything can happen during tournament time and it is upsets like these that make this time of the year so exciting. Greenfield's win over Union City isn't as big of an upset as Lake County over Gleason, but you have to keep in mind that Union City had beaten Greenfield 3 times already this year. This is the type of stepping stone that the Greenfield program needs to get them on their way, because, and I am being dead serious when I say this, Greenfield over the next few years will be the dynasty that Bradford once was. They may not end up with a bunch of Gold Balls (because of Jackson County), but they will more then likely end up with some Silver ones and quite a few State Tournament appearances.

The winner of the Lake County/Greenfield game will go to state. The loser will more then likely have to play Madison Academic Magnet in Jackson and I'm not so sure that either Lake County or Greenfield will be able to pull that one off. Congrats to both teams on the huge wins and good luck the rest of the way.

You have got to be kidding about them being a dynasty over the next few years. What are you basing this on?

If you Gleason fans thought Saturday's upset was bad....at least none of you had to sit through 2 1/2 hours of watching the Lady Vols lose to Florida in overtime today. :huh:

And I'd say that's a little bit bigger upset than Lake County beating Gleason. You know things really, really aren't going your way when Parker has 34 points and 15 rebounds, Zolman has 22 points and 10 assists, Fluker has 22 points...and you STILL LOSE.

(Of course, 28 turnovers might have just a little bit to do with that.) B):):huh:

You have got to be kidding about them being a dynasty over the next few years. What are you basing this on?

Based on what I have seen from their coach and from their middle school while also taking into account the upcoming players for other District 14A schools, Greenfield will be making more then just 1 State Tournament appearance over the next few years. Next year's group is one of the top freshmen classes in all of Tennessee (believe me I've seen alot of good middle school teams). They will not have as long of a run as Bradford (ok maybe the Bradford comparison was a little much) did, but they will make many trips to the State Tournament over the 4-5 years. They could possibly win a gold ball depending on how much better they improve, but with Jackson County boasting Ferris over the next 4 years, they will be very tough to beat and, therefore, I do see Greenfield at least finishing with 1 or 2 silver balls. However, this all depends on how much those girls improve and the classes that come in after them.

I thought someone said Gleason was suppose to be the #1 team in Class A? :o

They were #1. They are a really good team. Lake Co. has played them tough this year. Coach Frazier knew that LC could beat them in this matchup. Hard to beat someone that many times in one season. Lake Co just simply outplayed them. Congrats to the Lady Falcons and Coach Johnson.

What I feel is lost in this topic is that Gleason lost to a very good team. Are they better than Gleason? On Saturday night yes. Gleason has a great team they were just out playe Sat. Just like Devilfan saying if Gleason lost to LC then they had no business playing Jackson Co. That is ridiculous. Well the Lady falcons have been overshadowed all year. Their 24-7 record shows they are a talented squad. 3 losses came to Gleason during the year. 2 losses we lost big 4th quarter leads, South Fulton and Trenton Peabody. These girls are athletic and as long as they play with a high level of intensity they will be a tough out for anyone. Good luck Tuesday Lady Falcons.