Alcoa

cephus23

First of all let me offer my congratulations to the Alcoa High School players and fans for finally getting a real first class and talented football coach. Coach Rankin is a great coach and the Alcoa fans & players have a right to celebrate and be happy. I am happy for them for some of the same reasons mentioned above and a few other reasons as well. But let’s not kid ourselves, Coach Rankin is here because Blount County is a great place to raise a family and getting him an Assistant Principle position with a coaching stipend is a great spot for a tenured coach in Tennessee. It also helps prepare the Coach for the opportunity to exit football and join the administration ranks in the future if he desires and affords his older kids to attend UT as he did. A great move for him no question.

As for football, Alcoa is a great place to coach, if the coach is given the latitude to do things his way. Under the current AD that will be the case with a future legend like Rankin. But Alcoa players better get ready to work as a team and get used to discipline like they have seldom seen or shown. There will be little or no trash talking, players taking plays off, show boating and big I’s and little U’s! Rankin won’t stand for it, he does not have too. 2A is the weakest Class in East TN and Alcoa will not be the media and local pressure cooker that was Riverdale. Rankin helped create that monster and is ready to move on. He will be successful at Alcoa but it will take more than a coach to beat Maryville more than once every six or seven years. And make no mistake he is smart enough to know the local score. I believe there are many Alcoa fans and I personally know many who would do anything to beat Maryville. We know there are many who hate Maryville for its success and the perception what kind of people we are. I will enjoy watching a Rankin coached team more often, but he won’t beat Maryville in the short term and may never! Now you might think that a bit forward but as reported by the Daily Times Rag the first shot has been fired by Alcoa’s new coach.

Thursday 6 Apr 06

“Before an enthusiastic gathering of Alcoa supporters at the school, Rankin touched on all the right notes. He vowed not to play favorites with first-teamers and bench-warmers. Spoke of Alcoa's storied tradition. Said ``I think we can beat them. They don't scare me.'' They, of course, being Quarles' Maryville Rebels, owners of a five-game winning streak against Alcoa and five Class 4A state titles since 2000.”

I am glad he is not scared because I can assure you no one in Maryville is scared of him with Riverdale or Alcoa! He does have that thought "He thinks" we (Alcoa)can beat Maryville. He did not say what the Maryville Players know, they KNOW They will beat Alcoa! There is a difference.

But why be scared it’s only football, nothing more! Good luck to Coach Rankin and Alcoa.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all let me offer my congratulations to the Alcoa High School players and fans for finally getting a real first class and talented football coach. Coach Rankin is a great coach and the Alcoa fans & players have a right to celebrate and be happy. I am happy for them for some of the same reasons mentioned above and a few other reasons as well. But let’s not kid ourselves, Coach Rankin is here because Blount County is a great place to raise a family and getting him an Assistant Principle position with a coaching stipend is a great spot for a tenured coach in Tennessee. It also helps prepare the Coach for the opportunity to exit football and join the administration ranks in the future if he desires and affords his older kids to attend UT as he did. A great move for him no question.

As for football, Alcoa is a great place to coach, if the coach is given the latitude to do things his way. Under the current AD that will be the case with a future legend like Rankin. But Alcoa players better get ready to work as a team and get used to discipline like they have seldom seen or shown. There will be little or no trash talking, players taking plays off, show boating and big I’s and little U’s! Rankin won’t stand for it, he does not have too. 2A is the weakest Class in East TN and Alcoa will not be the media and local pressure cooker that was Riverdale. Rankin helped create that monster and is ready to move on. He will be successful at Alcoa but it will take more than a coach to beat Maryville more than once every six or seven years. And make no mistake he is smart enough to know the local score. I believe there are many Alcoa fans and I personally know many who would do anything to beat Maryville. We know there are many who hate Maryville for its success and the perception what kind of people we are. I will enjoy watching a Rankin coached team more often, but he won’t beat Maryville in the short term and may never! Now you might think that a bit forward but as reported by the Daily Times Rag the first shot has been fired by Alcoa’s new coach.

Thursday 6 Apr 06

“Before an enthusiastic gathering of Alcoa supporters at the school, Rankin touched on all the right notes. He vowed not to play favorites with first-teamers and bench-warmers. Spoke of Alcoa's storied tradition. Said ``I think we can beat them. They don't scare me.'' They, of course, being Quarles' Maryville Rebels, owners of a five-game winning streak against Alcoa and five Class 4A state titles since 2000.”

I am glad he is not scared because I can assure you no one in Maryville is scared of him with Riverdale or Alcoa! He does have that thought "He thinks" we (Alcoa)can beat Maryville. He did not say what the Maryville Players know, they KNOW They will beat Alcoa! There is a difference.

But why be scared it’s only football, nothing more! Good luck to Coach Rankin and Alcoa.

Good, I hope you feel very confident. Fear is not a bad thing when channeled correctly.

From what I am hearing Rankin is going to keep the staff at Alcoa. I think that is great. I know Jason Adams real well.I went to school with his brothers. My nephew coached with Richard Gamble and thought a lot of him. Will Jim Dunkin still help? Dunkin is a nice guy.His son and my nephew play summer baseball together. Alcoa struck gold with this hire.

I still think Jon Reid done a good job at Alcoa no matter what some of the fans think. He did the same thing for Alcoa that Tim Hammontree did for Maryville. He brought weight training and toughness to Alcoa.

Thursday 6 Apr 06

The 1st shot has been fired and I have to guess that it won't be the last. As a former Alcoa athlete I am well aware that there have been those who lack discipline at times. Guess what?????? Maryville has had those players as well. Don't pretend as if Alcoa is the only school that has them and that Maryville is filled with perfect athletes who never become ambitious about their own accomplishments. You're dreaming if you think that.

I know that in 2001 Alcoa should have won the state title if it had not been for a certain penalty toward the end of the semis. But it happens.

I did not play football at Alcoa but I did compete against Maryville in other sports. Most of the times I competed against Maryville we won by the way. But the enjoyment of beating Maryville is beyond description. One of my favorite memories as a young teenager would have to be laughing at a Maryville fan, who somehow could not control her crying, after the 1993 game when Alcoa beat them for like the 5th straight year. For those of you who have never beat Maryville, let me assure you it is sweet.

Rankin will be good for the program. HE will beat Maryville at some point. Irony here is that Maryville has beat Alcoa several times simply because of coaching which has been admitted to by several Maryville fans but now that Alcoa has acquired a coach that has equaled George Quarles and even has outperformed Quarles in some areas, the game has suddenly become one in which Alcoa needs more than a coach.

Alcoa has more talent and unless they are outcoached again they will win. It's the same story every year: Alcoa's players vs. Maryville's coaches. Then again, most schools have better athletes than Maryville which shows what type of coach Quarles is. It will be interesting to see what happens when the coaching advantage Maryville has had in the past is nullified.

I'll be back in August.

As for John Reid....Thank you for bringing this program back to where it should be every year. 28-2 record in 2 years is hard to beat and even though Quarles got you those 2 times, I still have the utmost respect for how you turned this team into winners.

Alcoa High School

Home of so many professional and college athletes it would be impossible to mention them all

The 1st shot has been fired and I have to guess that it won't be the last. As a former Alcoa athlete I am well aware that there have been those who lack discipline at times. Guess what?????? Maryville has had those players as well. Don't pretend as if Alcoa is the only school that has them and that Maryville is filled with perfect athletes who never become ambitious about their own accomplishments. You're dreaming if you think that.

I know that in 2001 Alcoa should have won the state title if it had not been for a certain penalty toward the end of the semis. But it happens.

I did not play football at Alcoa but I did compete against Maryville in other sports. Most of the times I competed against Maryville we won by the way. But the enjoyment of beating Maryville is beyond description. One of my favorite memories as a young teenager would have to be laughing at a Maryville fan, who somehow could not control her crying, after the 1993 game when Alcoa beat them for like the 5th straight year. For those of you who have never beat Maryville, let me assure you it is sweet.

Rankin will be good for the program. HE will beat Maryville at some point. Irony here is that Maryville has beat Alcoa several times simply because of coaching which has been admitted to by several Maryville fans but now that Alcoa has acquired a coach that has equaled George Quarles and even has outperformed Quarles in some areas, the game has suddenly become one in which Alcoa needs more than a coach.

Alcoa has more talent and unless they are outcoached again they will win. It's the same story every year: Alcoa's players vs. Maryville's coaches. Then again, most schools have better athletes than Maryville which shows what type of coach Quarles is. It will be interesting to see what happens when the coaching advantage Maryville has had in the past is nullified.

I'll be back in August.

As for John Reid....Thank you for bringing this program back to where it should be every year. 28-2 record in 2 years is hard to beat and even though Quarles got you those 2 times, I still have the utmost respect for how you turned this team into winners.

Alcoa High School

Home of so many professional and college athletes it would be impossible to mention them all

Some good points BUT......Same old song and dance, we got better athletes, but lose the games! Man for man Maryville beats Alcoa even with those so called better athletes. Check the scores and records the past 75 years there sport. Ever stop to think maybe you don't have better athletes? Maryville hears that bull every year. If you think Alcoa has athletes, you need to watch Melrose! By the way Maryville beat them twice in the past two years.

Lastly, you said "Alcoa High School (The) Home of so many professional and college athletes it would be impossible to mention them all".

Name them? Maryville has a few of those substandard Athletes at the college level as well. Maybe you saw the Humphrey kid in the National Championship basketball game last week?

Good luck, but Maryville still owns Alcoa and I know it hurts. Sorry that is just how it is.

One of my favorite memories as a young teenager would have to be laughing at a Maryville fan, who somehow could not control her crying, after the 1993 game when Alcoa beat them for like the 5th straight year.

Alcoa High School

It would be hard to have 5 straight wins when MHS won in 1992. One of my favorite or many great memories, was last year when MHS led 28 to zip at halftime and all the Alcoa fans leaving and me not having to worry about a big traffic jam at the end of the game.

Maryville High School

Home of so many CHAMPIONS and WINS over talented athletes, teams, and excuse makers from those losing to the guys in Red and Black, it would be impossible to mention them all.

Edited by STARSNBARS

It is perfectly fine for a 4A school to toot their horns for beating a 2A school. Guess what Maryville fans.....You are supposed to win. I will promise you that the task of beating Alcoa just got a little more complicated.

This story gets old EVERY year. If Alcoa folks are going to whine and say, "we are better than you but you have better coaches, we have to play you too early in the year", blah blah blah then it looks like we have the right to toot our horns. I agree with you in principal. We have nothing to gain by playing you. If we beat you we hear we are suppose to, and if we lose you guys have T Shirts printed up and wear them the rest of the year. And you guys have the right to ride Rankin's reputation like he is some miracle worker also, that is fine with us. We will see in August I guess. I honestly don't think you are about to become East Tenn's version of Riverdale though. Different coaching staff, and NOWHERE near the players Rankin had to choose from at Riverdale. I hope he is good because he has probably already p***** Quarles off by running his mouth last week and basically calling Maryville afraid. Good coach? No doubt. The houdini you guys are making him out to be? Doubtful.