Any word on the Alcoa job?

Tornado89

Folks close to the Riverdale program knew this last week

:thumb: You are correct. Quite a few have known for a week. As an alum I cannot be happier. He won't take crap from parents. The future is very bright. The school is getting ready to grow like it never has before. They expect 70 plus kids out this spring. Coach Rankin knows this. Heck, he steps into a situation where he has a top 50 national player in Sykes and probably a top 150 player in Shiverdecker. I am anxious to see him handle the QB Randall Cobb. I think he is a mini version of Michael Vick. He knows how to coach athletic QB's. With all seriousness, Erick Locke has nothing on Randall Cobb. The seventh grade class is loaded with talent as well. I could go on and on.....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some of the present coaches expect an interview this week?

FB - Alcoa High School is accepting applications for a Head Football Coach. Endorcement in Wellness / Weight training preferred. You can log on to www. alcoaschools.net for an application or call Rob Daugherty, Athletic Director at (865) 755-2447 or Scott Porter, Principal at (865) 982-4631. Applications will be accepted through April 5, 2006. (03/30/2006)

Good question...I think so.

They promised one of the asst. coaches an interview. This asst. coach has gone above and beyond his duties (he doesn't even work for the school system) such as having before school study hall for some kids before he goes to his regular job.

I for one am disappointed in how this was handled. Rankin may very well be the best man for the job, but promises were made and the admin. seems to have chosen not to honor these promises. I hope they talked to this asst. coach ahead of time and he didn't just read about it in the paper like the rest of us.

Also, the boys were promised that they would be listened to. Supposedly the interviewees would have a chance to address the upcoming seniors and give their input.

I suspect the admin. is really going to hear about it from a lot of parents. I'll support Rankin and I hope he can get the job done. I'm excited that we have a coach, but at the same time disappointed in how it was handled.

Not a ticked off parent, but glad to hear he won't take the crap from parents or kids. That's exactly what we need. If this is true, it's going to be an interesting year!

Oh, and, TURBO: The colors are maroon and gray/white, not silver! :thumb:

When I used to play "back in the day" I had a lot of silver on my helmet from Alcoa players. I actually think it was aluminum.

IMO, Rankin may want to get into a 2A program for several reasons.

1. Riverdale is not able to get all of the players from Rutherford County like they used to. The school board is not allowing the number of special transfers like the did in the past.

2. If BA wins the latest legal battle with the TSSAA everyone may be put back together and Rankin does not want to play in the same division as the D2 schools.

Good luck to both Riverdale and Alcoa.