yes or no only

my2cents

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The privates in A softball now are not even that great of teams compared to Goodpasture, Boyd-Buchanan, Ezell, and even Davidson and FRA (I am talking about current and in years past, not this year in particular). I am sorry but if you took those privates left in A softball and moved them out then that classification would be a joke. In years past I would put the winner of A softball against any of the other champs.

Overall the multiplier has helped public schools win more state titles this year. But those of you are correct in saying that some people are upset when a private wins even one title. They act like privates have no right to be good in sports and if they do then they are cheating. It's ridiculous. Remember this whole thing started over football. Not sports like softball and baseball.

Edited by sportsguy1

thought provoking.

"The privates in A softball now are not even that great of teams compared to Goodpasture, Boyd-Buchanan, Ezell, and even Davidson and FRA (I am talking about current and in years past, not this year in particular)."

agreed, but i suspect they will readily fill the vacuum, just like the current D-1 privates did when the big boys went to d-2

"I am sorry but if you took those privates left in A softball and moved them out then that classification would be a joke."

if a handful of teams are clinging to spots in a patsy division, who is really the joke?

"In years past I would put the winner of A softball against any of the other champs."

meaning in years past, having separate classes to give small schools a "chance" was really pointless. we shouldnt have even had classes if that were the case.

"Overall the multiplier has helped public schools win more state titles this year. "

i know they won some different titles. did they really win more? what are the numbers?

"But those of you are correct in saying that some people are upset when a private wins even one title. They act like privates have no right to be good in sports and if they do then they are cheating."

"some people"? of course "some people" think that. "some people" think all sports are bad. "some people" think women belong to their family as property. "some people" think it is ok to smoke crack. there are a lot of people. find me anything that "some people" dont think.

"some people" just arent worth worrying about.

"It's ridiculous."

i'm not sure, but i think you might be one of those "some people" now.

"Remember this whole thing started over football. Not sports like softball and baseball."

football makes the most noise, football is the biggest sport.

i can assure you, they were not the only ones concerned about this issue.

i am thru thinking now.

The final 3 teams in class A are privates. One of the last 2 teams in AA is private.

That's about usual...so no...the multiplier hasn't affected softball much.

It's been a joke in Class A for years, and this is just a continuation. Forrest should still be proud of their finish, but it's ridiculous for the two types of schools to be that far apart, year after year.

It's been a joke in Class A for years, and this is just a continuation. Forrest should still be proud of their finish, but it's ridiculous for the two types of schools to be that far apart, year after year.

Use some type of merit system in all sports!!!!

This is just a question that maybe someone can help me with. The public vs. private issue has gone on for years and I doubt if we're going to change many minds here and I don't want to get the same old arguments started. What I don't understand about the whole issue is why TSSAA absolutely refuses to put the private schools in their own division. It seems to me that the privates could play as many public schools as they want during the season, but come tournament time, they both could play for their own championship. That way they could face as much "good competition" as they feel is appropriate during the season & then play for the titles. Is it money? Is it because their kids (TSSAA directors) go to the private schools? I'm just curious here as to why the TSSAA won't go ahead & take that final step. Someone help me understand this.

This is just a question that maybe someone can help me with. The public vs. private issue has gone on for years and I doubt if we're going to change many minds here and I don't want to get the same old arguments started. What I don't understand about the whole issue is why TSSAA absolutely refuses to put the private schools in their own division. It seems to me that the privates could play as many public schools as they want during the season, but come tournament time, they both could play for their own championship. That way they could face as much "good competition" as they feel is appropriate during the season & then play for the titles. Is it money? Is it because their kids (TSSAA directors) go to the private schools? I'm just curious here as to why the TSSAA won't go ahead & take that final step. Someone help me understand this.

I think there are a couple of reasons.

The first issue has to do with how much money is coming into the TSSAA coffers. If the privates were ushered off into their own division ... they would leave the organization and start their own organization with their own rules that more closely match what they are trying to accomplish. That removes a very large amount of money flowing into the TSSAA.

The second has to do with legal issues as can be referenced by the recent BA v. TSSAA court rulings. The TSSAA is a state sanctioned organization and hence can't limit competition by putting teams outside of "normal" classifications. For example, if BA continues to win each appeal ... the D2 classifications will be a thing of the past.

Why do you think they should?

What new rules would you say they'd have, and how would they apply to "what they're trying to accomplish?"

The first rule that would be tossed would be to get rid of the "scholarship" requirements. The D1 privates are not allowed to have any athletes that are on scholarship with the school. Many would like to offer scholarships to need-based students much like the MBAs and BAs of the world do now at the D2 level. Even at the D2 level, only certain numbers of need-based scholarship kids can participate in each sport. This would allow the schools to further their charters and educate young people - whether that is Christian-based or secular-based.